• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Quality (and Sizing) of C&J Shoes

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Vass is the best value. C&Js are nice shoes, but I do not think they are terribly great bargains. Value is, of course, subjective.

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whoopee
Vass is the best value. C&Js are nice shoes, but I do not think they are terribly great bargains. Value is, of course, subjective.

Are you talking direct from Vass or European seller prices or US retail prices? Some of them are really nice, well made shoes but good value is not a term I've heard applied that many times to Vass.

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chobochobo
Are you talking direct from Vass or European seller prices or US retail prices? Some of them are really nice, well made shoes but good value is not a term I've heard applied that many times to Vass.
I've heard that Vass were a good value, particularly when you could get new-non-samples for around 500 bucks if I so recall. They are still a fantastic shoe, and one I hope to add to my meager collection one day.

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kronik
I've heard that Vass were a good value, particularly when you could get new-non-samples for around 500 bucks if I so recall. They are still a fantastic shoe, and one I hope to add to my meager collection one day.

You can only get new non-samples for that price through sources other than authorized US resellers I believe. There was a few long threads about that. There is at least one German seller who'll sell you then for about that price, but US retail prices are much higher. I concur that they seem to be well made shoes but to apply the term to US retail is pushing the definition a bit
smile.gif

rssmsvc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I saw some crockett and jones shoes at bensilver.com that don't show up in the plal.com website, does c&j make shoes specific for bensilver.com ?

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Found out today from a delivery of a pair of C&J Marstons, that when it comes to handgrades I can fit into 9.5 (today's shoes) as well as 10.5 (pair of RLs) when my usual size is 10D. C&J Handgrades are nice shoes, but most of you knew that anyway
tounge.gif

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rssmsvc
I saw some crockett and jones shoes at bensilver.com that don't show up in the plal.com website, does c&j make shoes specific for bensilver.com ?

Yes. C&J would make them specific for the Styleforum too if we ordered like 12 pair at once.

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't see C&J Belmoir model anywhere. Are they out of production?
I have a pare from a couple of years ago in oak and I would like to patinate them. Any of you gents know how to do it without ruining them?
I remember there was a thread about patination, but alas direct advice was not provided.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
There is a chance you'll get these. And they'll be cheaper than the Weymouths
wink.gif

KIF_2385.jpg

Ooooh... what are those?

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Leaveitothexperts
Ed, very nice shoes. What are they?

Tramezzas. And mine, I hope
smile.gif

pinchi22

Reaction score
Styling is subjective but my C&J handgrades (Whitehalls) definitively rival my Alfred Sargents and A-Es in quality of leather and workmanship. But, what has most surprised me is that, unlike the others: (i) they look as good one year later as on day 1, and (ii) I can walk for an hour in total comfort.

They were more expensive than the others (even on sale), but sometimes you do get what you pay for.
blush.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads