1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Quality (and Sizing) of C&J Shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Hard2Fit, Sep 10, 2006.

1. Hard2Fit

Hard2Fit Well-Known Member

I'm thinking of ordering from Pediwear the following shoe:

http://www.pediwear.co.uk/detail.php?stock_ID=365

It is not from the C&J 'Handgrade' line. Can anyone comment on the quality of this line? Are these shoes benchmade or not?

Also, I normally wear a 11.5 E US (Allen Edmonds). The shoe I plan to order is a 'G-fit' (wide). Would I be best served with an 11 or 10.5 UK? Any guidance would be appreciated.

2. edmorel

edmorel Well-Known Member

I'm thinking of ordering from Pediwear the following shoe:

http://www.pediwear.co.uk/detail.php?stock_ID=365

It is not from the C&J 'Handgrade' line. Can anyone comment on the quality of this line? Are these shoes benchmade or not?

Also, I normally wear a 11.5 E US (Allen Edmonds). The shoe I plan to order is a 'G-fit' (wide). Would I be best served with an 11 or 10.5 UK? Any guidance would be appreciated.

I find C&J to be very good quality up the line with the Handgrades being the best obviously. These are benchmade and I would say that they are good buy. Just buy then from here though
    http://www.plal.com/crockett.htm

BTW, I'd go with the 11 since it's a round last and your foot is wide.

3. Hard2Fit

Hard2Fit Well-Known Member

Wow! That's a noticeable difference in price (assuming my math is correct). Thx!

4. Garfieldthecat

Garfieldthecat Well-Known Member

I believe someone posted (either here or over at AAAC) that pediwear will price match Plal's price.

Anyway, I wear a 8.5 Allen-Edmond, and went down to a 7.5 CJ. But that is just me.

5. chobochobo

chobochobo Well-Known Member

from the shoes that I've seen, but my experience with C&J so far has been 'indirect'. I have two pairs of shoes that I believe are made by C&J: Hackett and Ralph Lauren Polos. There is a big difference between the quality of the two in terms of leather, stitching, styling and finish.

6. josepidal

josepidal Well-Known Member

But the Polos are handgrades.

7. chobochobo

But the Polos are handgrades.
    then there's a big difference between the quality of C&J standard grade and handgrade.

Ref: my polo C&Js they have cursive lettering on the insole exactly like the 'purple label corbens' that are being discussed. I wonder what the sole of those look like?

8. chobochobo

Received a pair of C&J Welbecks (Handgrade) very nice shoes and fits very nicely. Feels solid but not clunky (unlike Bally Scribes). A pair of Marstons are on their way, and saving up for the Weymouths.

9. edmorel

edmorel Well-Known Member

Received a pair of C&J Welbecks (Handgrade) very nice shoes and fits very nicely. Feels solid but not clunky (unlike Bally Scribes). A pair of Marstons are on their way, and saving up for the Weymouths.

There is a chance you'll get these. And they'll be cheaper than the Weymouths [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. chobochobo

do PM me and tell me more [​IMG]

11. oscarthewild

oscarthewild Well-Known Member

do PM me and tell me more [​IMG]

mee toooo!

12. Nonk

Nonk Well-Known Member

C&J handgrades are very overrated.

Great quality but apart from a few select models, the last shape is so ungainly as to look stupid.

I prefer the bench grades.

13. chobochobo

Well, the two C&J handgrades (Oxfords) that I have are very nice indeed and are amongst the nicest shoes that I have (I haven't gotten to EGs yet). Elegant last and well constructed, I prefer them to my John Lobb Oxford shoes. I guess it's all about different tastes.

14. acidboy

acidboy Well-Known Member

ditto. i am very happy with my c&j. the brand is definitely on my list of preferred brands.

15. Connemara

Connemara Well-Known Member

C&J's are well-constructed, beautiful shoes that can be had for ridiculous bargains. Probably the best value out there.

16. whoopee

whoopee Well-Known Member

Vass is the best value. C&Js are nice shoes, but I do not think they are terribly great bargains. Value is, of course, subjective.

17. chobochobo

Vass is the best value. C&Js are nice shoes, but I do not think they are terribly great bargains. Value is, of course, subjective.

Are you talking direct from Vass or European seller prices or US retail prices? Some of them are really nice, well made shoes but good value is not a term I've heard applied that many times to Vass.

18. kronik

kronik Well-Known Member

Are you talking direct from Vass or European seller prices or US retail prices? Some of them are really nice, well made shoes but good value is not a term I've heard applied that many times to Vass.
    I've heard that Vass were a good value, particularly when you could get new-non-samples for around 500 bucks if I so recall. They are still a fantastic shoe, and one I hope to add to my meager collection one day.

19. chobochobo

I've heard that Vass were a good value, particularly when you could get new-non-samples for around 500 bucks if I so recall. They are still a fantastic shoe, and one I hope to add to my meager collection one day.

You can only get new non-samples for that price through sources other than authorized US resellers I believe. There was a few long threads about that. There is at least one German seller who'll sell you then for about that price, but US retail prices are much higher. I concur that they seem to be well made shoes but to apply the term to US retail is pushing the definition a bit [​IMG]

20. rssmsvc

rssmsvc Well-Known Member

I saw some crockett and jones shoes at bensilver.com that don't show up in the plal.com website, does c&j make shoes specific for bensilver.com ?