• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Put the phone down, please

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CouttsClient
These same people will often answer their phone only to say "I'm busy...may I call you later?" When I'm "busy" I don't answer the phone at all.

My phone has kind of a cool feature...the button you press to silence the ringer can be pressed again to send a preset text message to the caller ('can't talk now...call you soon' or something). I never actually use this feature but maybe these people would.

My friends actually commented the other day on the fact that I think its rude/tacky when people pull out their phones and set them down on the dinner table. While I was glad that apparently they actually are aware of the fact that I think this comes off as disrespectful, the snide way in which they said it made it seem like they don't agree at all.

It really doesn't make sense--basically everyone who you would expect to call you is already there and if someone does...are you really going to read and respond to texts or take calls at the dinner table? (note: none of us have the sort of job where you might actually *have* to take a call on a saturday evening)

suzuka

Reaction score
texting has replaced conversations. It's quite sad to see everyone in the subway and bus texting away instead of enjoying the company of one another or the sites.

I recently cancelled my data plan, I don't need instant updates and constant access to email anymore

WorkingClassDude

Reaction score
Some people do it to save minutes. People still have minute plans.

word

Reaction score
Originally Posted by esswhykay
Yeah, I never understood this phenomenon. I went on a date with this girl once and when she got a call she silenced the ringer without even looking at the screen. Wanted to wife her then and there.
Wow nice. I had a blind date last week and the lady kept getting texted by her nosey lil sister asking about me. She muted the phone.
blush.gif
I text a lot. My talking minutes are limited cause unlimited text plans are cheaper and most people text anyways. Texting is more convenient anyways. In social environments it lets you socialize more. When somebody actually calls you have to isolate yourself from what you're doing. Get a text? Pfft ignore it till you get a minute to check it. win-win

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I know people who won't take phone calls, they'll only respond to texts.
facepalm.gif

WorkingClassDude

Reaction score
Originally Posted by word
I text a lot. My talking minutes are limited cause unlimited text plans are cheaper and most people text anyways. Texting is more convenient anyways. In social environments it lets you socialize more. When somebody actually calls you have to isolate yourself from what you're doing. Get a text? Pfft ignore it till you get a minute to check it. win-win

Yea, I find texting pretty acceptable in most situations. It's people who always HAVE to reply instantly, or people who literally stop you to reply to something. Or just people who can't stand to NOT reply all the time. There's a lot of situations when it's totally appropriate to leave some time before you respond.

But also, texting is quieter and more private than phone calls, and you can do it in a lot more situations where you can't just jump on your phone. I feel like texting has it's legitimacy, but I get that it's not for some people.

JesseJB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The art of conversation has been replaced by the art of Farmville.

deadly7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CouttsClient
These same people will often answer their phone only to say "I'm busy...may I call you later?" When I'm "busy" I don't answer the phone at all.

There are many degrees of busy, but your saying "OMG NEVER PICK UP WITHOUT TALKING TO ME" is stupid. If cell phones were as reliable as land lines and you got 99.99% of phone calls, sure it's pointless. But I, and many other people I know, get really bad reception in certain buildings we're frequently in. I'm sure you've noticed how leaving voicemails is becoming more uncommon. Picking up and saying "I'm busy, I'll call you back" is a formal acknowledgement of your having received the phone call.

CouttsClient

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by deadly7
There are many degrees of busy, but your saying "OMG NEVER PICK UP WITHOUT TALKING TO ME" is stupid. If cell phones were as reliable as land lines and you got 99.99% of phone calls, sure it's pointless. But I, and many other people I know, get really bad reception in certain buildings we're frequently in. I'm sure you've noticed how leaving voicemails is becoming more uncommon. Picking up and saying "I'm busy, I'll call you back" is a formal acknowledgement of your having received the phone call.
I honestly don't care all that much about this but answering your phone to tell someone you're busy and can't talk seems ridiculous. Why answer the phone at all? To make someone aware that you received the call? If I call you and you don't answer and I don't leave a voicemail I probably shouldn't expect a call back anyway. I turn my phone OFF when I have company. I turn my phone OFF when I go to dinner. The people I spend time with generally have the same ideas about when their phones should be used and it isn't at the dinner table or when they're otherwise "busy".

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you are so ******* right on bro!

Sent from my iPhone.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Several years back I went to meet with a couple who were prospective clients. When first meeting prospective clients I do not charge for my time.

Upon excusing himself to take his third phone call ... I turned to his wife and asked her to tell him goodbye for me. He called my office and left three vulgar messages. I guess he really loves his phone.

CouttsClient

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
Several years back I went to meet with a couple who were prospective clients. When first meeting prospective clients I do not charge for my time. Upon excusing himself to take his third phone call ... I turned to his wife and asked her to tell him goodbye for me. He called my office and left three vulgar messages. I guess he really loves his phone.
lol8[1].gif

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm not a stickler for when people choose to use the phone. However asses I work with checking texts on their black berry during meetings or working meals are ******* tools. Wow I'm so impressed you have a [doubtless] groundbreaking message coming through your phone, thanks for alerting the whole table to that. Why can't people who they're VIPs in offices put their phones on silent? Nothing more annoying than trying to get through a too long meeting only to have that ******* Iphone4 or black berry vibrate or beep.

When with friends I don't mind if they check their phone or take a call. It's 80% likely related to plans we're trying to make later.

ChiliPalmer

Reaction score
My point when starting this conversation wasn't that texting has no place. It does.

I'm arguing that protracted converations which occur via texts are insipid.

If you have the time to send 30+ consecutive texts to someone, why not just have a conversation?

If you're in a meeting, excuse yourself. You can't text for any extended period of time and keep track of what's being said. If you've been invited to participate, participate. Don't be a distraction or the guy who needs to have things repeated because he wasn't paying attention.

If you're at dinner with someone, be engaging. Give them a reason to spend time with you again. I don't want to stare at the top of your head all night. Besides, when you text at the table, it makes me think you're socially aloof. It makes me think you either can't or won't carry a conversation. It makes me think you have needy friends who don't respect boundaries. It makes me think YOU are needy and don't set boundaries. Those are all major turn-off's.

As for people who won't answer their phones, I refuse to respond to their texts. And it makes them mad as hell.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads