1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Pure Blue Japan (Denim) - Official Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Jay-D, Oct 28, 2008.

1. Rolfi

Rolfi Well-Known Member

pbj denim can stretch a lot if you want it to. i sized down one to 33 and it's a pretty tight fit in the top block and the thighs after a soak. but after a couple of wears it just stretches out.

if you want a slim fit size down one, if you're really skinny you can try going down 2

2. bakatora

bakatora Well-Known Member

christ sizing down 2 on pbjs sounds excruciatingly sadistic.

3. hamish5178

hamish5178 Well-Known Member

Not sure if anyone cares, but after a few months with the xx-005s I decided to get them tapered .5". Widening the selvedge line and not cutting any fabric, I'll post again when I get them back.

4. Trapp

Trapp Well-Known Member

This is the response I got from BIG after mentioning that my waist measures 33 by the tape and posting familiar jeans sizes I wear, such as New Standard in size 30 and Left Field 1 rinse Tweeds in 33 (and others mentioned above):

"PBJ and Samurai do make some of the slubbiest denims we carry. For PBJ, the
    XX-005 is their slim straight fit and the Blue in Green version, XX-013 is
    the same denim and similar fit but with a tapered leg. If a 33 in the LF
    Tweeds would have fit well then that does put your waist at 33" and if
    you're looking to wear your jeans raw, then a size 30 in the PBJ XX-005 and
    BiG XX-013 would most likely be the best fit.
    Unfortunately for the LF
    Tweeds though they're no longer available in any size, now or in the future,
    as the denim is all gone."

So they're recommending I size down three sizes on PBJ's. Based on what I'm reading here, this would be agony.

5. KitAkira

KitAkira Well-Known Member

I highly doubt you'd even be able to get them past the thigh

6. Jay-D

Jay-D Well-Known Member

This is the response I got from BIG after mentioning that my waist measures 33 by the tape and posting familiar jeans sizes I wear, such as New Standard in size 30 and Left Field 1 rinse Tweeds in 33 (and others mentioned above):

"PBJ and Samurai do make some of the slubbiest denims we carry. For PBJ, the
    XX-005 is their slim straight fit and the Blue in Green version, XX-013 is
    the same denim and similar fit but with a tapered leg. If a 33 in the LF
    Tweeds would have fit well then that does put your waist at 33" and if
    you're looking to wear your jeans raw, then a size 30 in the PBJ XX-005 and
    BiG XX-013 would most likely be the best fit.
    Unfortunately for the LF
    Tweeds though they're no longer available in any size, now or in the future,
    as the denim is all gone."

So they're recommending I size down three sizes on PBJ's. Based on what I'm reading here, this would be agony.

Size 30 is too tight. Size 32 is your size for a comfortable fit, size 31 for a slim tight fit which will stretch out for a perfect fit after a couple weeks of wear.

7. theom-

theom- Well-Known Member

They are saying you should go for 30 if you looking to wear RAW, that means unsoaked. PBJs measure quite large before the soak and shrink quite a bit.

8. Trapp

Trapp Well-Known Member

They are saying you should go for 30 if you looking to wear RAW, that means unsoaked. PBJs measure quite large before the soak and shrink quite a bit.

Thanks. I know BIG is referring to raw, and I think Kitakira, bakatora, Rolfi, and Atsui were referring to their experience of the raw PBJ's as well. Anyways, I'm definately interested in the raw xx-015 and xx-013.

I'll probably try a 31.

9. KitAkira

10. Rolfi

Rolfi Well-Known Member

hence why i said if you're a skinny dude yourself you could get away with it.

11. T4phage

T4phage Well-Known Member

^
    why?
    skinny dudes haz no junk?

fuck, if i were to size down two there is no way i could sit without death

12. Rolfi

Rolfi Well-Known Member

nah i mean if you're really skinny you won't have much of an ass to begin with and so you can sag the jeans a bit more easily. just don't wear a belt and always pull the jeans down a bit so you have some room for your junk

that's what i've been doing lately and only because i've been gaining a bit of weight causeing my rear end to expand a bit

13. bjork

bjork Active Member

sagged slim jeans always look bad to me cause the proportions are all off. I think even if you're skinny you should only size down 1 on PBJ. Just imho

14. theom-

theom- Well-Known Member

Thanks. I know BIG is referring to raw, and I think Kitakira, bakatora, Rolfi, and Atsui were referring to their experience of the raw PBJ's as well. Anyways, I'm definately interested in the raw xx-015 and xx-013. I'll probably try a 31.
    I would not. BiG is saying if you plan to wear the jeans raw, size down 3, that means that you just wear without soaking, and never wash them. Its stupid, but people do it. You would size down to account for the shrinkage that would occur when you would wash them or soak them. Kit, atsui and other were all refering to sizing if you were to shrink them, BiG was not.

15. Trapp

Trapp Well-Known Member

I would not. BiG is saying if you plan to wear the jeans raw, size down 3, that means that you just wear without soaking, and never wash them. Its stupid, but people do it. You would size down to account for the shrinkage that would occur when you would wash them or soak them.
    Kit, atsui and other were all refering to sizing if you were to shrink them, BiG was not.

Thanks for that important caveat. No, I won't wear them raw in terms of 'never wash or soak them ever'. Didn't realize that's what BiG meant.

I typically do wear my jeans raw for several months before handwashing them. If, for the PBJ's, it's generally a better idea to give them a soak I wouldn't hesitate to do that. Either way, water and soap will definately be part of the program somewhere down the line.

That said, size 31 (which would be sizing down two) was Atsui's and rolff's recommendation for a slim-tight fit which will stretch to a proper fit after a few weeks. BiG had recommended 30.

16. KitAkira

You could always buy a pair and then exchange for the correct size after you've tried them out (you may be out a few extra bucks shipping but it's better than nothing)

17. Jay-D

Jay-D Well-Known Member

Thanks for that important caveat. No, I won't wear them raw in terms of 'never wash or soak them ever'. Didn't realize that's what BiG meant.

I typically do wear my jeans raw for several months before handwashing them. If, for the PBJ's, it's generally a better idea to give them a soak I wouldn't hesitate to do that. Either way, water and soap will definately be part of the program somewhere down the line.

That said, size 31 (which would be sizing down two) was Atsui's and rolff's recommendation for a slim-tight fit which will stretch to a proper fit after a few weeks. BiG had recommended 30.

Tigerformula is 100% correct. 31 is your size if you are purchasing either O/W (one wash) denim or if you are purchasing raw denim and planning to soak prior to wearing. If you purchase O/W (one wash) denim it is ready to wear as is and you do not need to soak. If you are unsue about which size, I would recommend getting O/W if your size is available. As it is ready to wear you can try on the fit and make sure it is 100% what you want. If you do not like the size, the fit, or simply do not like PBJ you can exchange it for a different denim that you will like. Good luck!

18. Trapp

Trapp Well-Known Member

I'm going with your suggestions to get a O/W for my first pair of PBJs in size 31, and just eat the shipping cost of an exchange if necessary. Once I establish my sizing I'll feeling better about ordering them raw in the future. Makes 100% more sense than my original plan.

Thanks, all. I'm glad we had this conversation.[​IMG]

19. hammondorgan

hammondorgan Member

does anybody have a picture of their black 005's?
    Thanks!
    Gabe

20. hamish5178

hamish5178 Well-Known Member

I just got my jeans back. Perfect. The pseudo-flare was starting to drive me nuts. These are now the perfect pants.