1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Pure Blue Japan (Denim) - Official Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Jay-D, Oct 28, 2008.

1. bldavis

bldavis Member

The pbj 18-15s fit really well on me. They are anti fit and high rise. That is the new specs that blue in greend used for the jeans. I'm a big dude 5 foot 9 and 275. Now I am thinking of getting the regular pair and be done with the selvedge thing.

2. Mimik007

Mimik007 New Member

Whats up guys, been lurking these forums for awhile and decided to join to ask for some advice. I bought some xx12 about 11 months ago. I want to get them hemmed. Now is it not a good idea to get them hemmed now since the stacks set in or it doesn't really matter?

Thanks guys I appreciate it.

3. bldavis

bldavis Member

You should get them hemmed. They still will stack.

4. Emospence

Emospence Well-Known Member

Having a hard time deciding between XX-005 and XX-013.. I like a slim but not skinny fit. Leaning towards the 005 but slightly worried that the cuff will be baggy. No pair of ideal fitting jeans currently to compare to.. Wonder if anyone can chime in.

5. Bullitt

Bullitt Well-Known Member

@Mimik007

Welcome to the Forum.

It depends whether you want stacks or not. Stacks are created by extra leg length. If you don’t like the »stack-aethetics« have them hemmed to your size. It doesn’t matter for how long you have worn the jeans.

I have a pair of X013. Been wearing them for about three month. My original plan was to get them hemmed, like all my jeans (always a good idea to wear new jeans for a while before hemming). However, I can see that the stacks will look particularly good on this pair. Now I might change my plan.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2016
  6. Mimik007

Mimik007 New Member

Also I'm curious as to why my xx012 aren't as slubby as most of the jeans I see in here and social media. I had to soak the jeans 4 months in because an accidental spill off bbq sauce. At that time they were starting to get some slub action. And after that they just stayed the same. Could it be that there is some slubbiness going on but the dye got into the white due to the wash? So they're pretty much unnoticeable.

7. bldavis

bldavis Member

Because they use natural indigo. Natural indigo when it penetrates white weft is hard to fade. It will take a while. Indigo pigment fades faster than natural indigo, that is what most brands use.

1 person likes this.
  8. Mimik007

Mimik007 New Member

Wow, I'm a year in with these jeans with 1 soak and no washes so I would have to wait quite awhile to actually see some fades?

9. bldavis

bldavis Member

It depends on your climate bro. If you live in a hot area like California or Thailand yes it won't be long to get fades. If you live where live, Maryland it will take area while. Just wash your jeans dude and don't buy them extra tight. This will cause blowouts in the crotch.

10. cosmicstring

cosmicstring Member

I just got mail from Okayama Denim stating:

Quote: Looking at the pricing, it seems to just align them with Blue In Green and Blue Owl (both of which I've bought PBJ from, and all three offer hemming anyway). Still, it looks like this gives a couple of days to buy at the old lower prices. Just a heads-up. (I don't figure this belongs in the Sales Alert thread because it's kind of an inverse sale, right?)

11. bldavis

bldavis Member

Told people Japanese denim maker were going to raise prices. It's protectionism, because of trump. The yen is getting some strength. Buying American is going to be the only choice. Better get them now.

12. cosmicstring

cosmicstring Member

I'm not sure that analysis applies here, though. This is a little more like the high-end appliance vendors (Wolf, etc.) for kitchens enforcing a uniform pricing across regions -- no seller is supposed to sell below a certain price, or they lose access to the brand. It seems anticompetitive, and so on, but it's something that's allowed by the current courts in the U.S. In this case, Blue In Green (NY) and Blue Owl (WA) both already charge, say, $310 for a pair of XX-012's. Okayama Denim in Japan has been selling this in the mid-$200 range. Even with shipping, this allows one of the sellers to undercut the others. It seems like PBJ didn't want to let that happen -- why should they let Okayama undercut the hard-working folks at Blue Owl, etc?

That said, I gave the heads-up because a lot of folks are abjectly motivated by price minimization. Some folks wait until they see a sale, or a window closing, and pounce. So, by all means, pounce.

(For what it's worth, in the past year the majority of my clothing purchases were American-made, but I did buy some things made in Japan... and I bought them generally from American vendors when possible. It cost me more in some cases, and that can be ok, too).

13. bldavis

bldavis Member

You're missing the point. Okayama sells or sold their product in the conversion of the USD daily, meaning the price fluctuates. It's protectionism because they know Okayama sells internationally and they know most of their customers are foreign. It's not about blue owl or blue in green because they do not sell to them on consignment, they pay X amount per pair plus shipping and tax. They mark up their prices anyway up to 100%. So a 200 dollar Jean over there is 3 to 400 over here. All of this didn't kick off until Trump got in and did what he did to Japan. Think about it why PBJ cares about what is happening over here when they got the money? They were happy because they were getting money from both ends. It's like the drug game brother. Now blue in green and blue owl are going to charge 400 dollars for non limited edition denim. PBJ just gave themselves the death knell.

14. cosmicstring

cosmicstring Member

Nah, I'm disagreeing with the point. There's an implicit assumption that providers of goods are cut-throat and only care about dollar maximization. The reality is that not everyone is an econ 101 textbook profit maximizer. PBJ, the Syoaiya folks, are niche goods makers who care about a lot of things. Makers of niche goods like this, with small networks of sellers to whom they supply, care about that whole network. The world of raw denim and high-end denimhead commerce is not huge. Reaching their consumer base and maintaining over the years the health of that network seems well-motivated.

Nor does this presage higher prices at BIG or BO automatically. Wouldn't that just maintain Okayama's price advantage if BIG and BO were now (again) more expensive for the same goods?

Lastly, I don't think this is a death knell at all for PBJ. They make some great goods. They make goods which are, for some of us, incomparable to others -- who else makes the purple face, and with that degree of slub no less? (Hell, maybe I'll go check how my fades are doing to see if they're photo-worthy yet).

1 person likes this.