• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pure Blue Japan (Denim) - Official Thread

Trapp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KitAkira
DO NOT size down on PBJs

KitAkira,

Is this true? My waist measures 33" with a tape and BIG recommended I get size 30 in either the xx-005 or the xx-013.

Live in California so I can't try on any PBJ's. These are other jeans and relative sizes i wear:

IH 634S - size 31
APC New Standard - size 30
RRL raw indigo slim fit - size 30

I'm looking for a good, slubby jean with a slim-straight cut that I can wear with big boots.

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I have a true waist of 28" and my PBJs (XX-010, cut the same as the XX-005) are tagged 28, for the first 2 weeks of wear my hips had to do battle with them to stretch, maybe I have bitching hips but that was a bit much (though I could easily have gone with a 29, my jeans fit about as perfectly as I'd like them to be though I prefer them to be very slim). The hips are actually more important than the waist in my experience (though I wear mine at the waist rather than sagged)

If you plan on wearing them over boots, this may not be the cut for you, while they are indeed straight from the knee down (and therefore a literal slim-straight cut), they taper a ton in the thighs so the leg is still really slim. They fit perfectly over my PS Ricards but I doubt that they'd do well over some large Engineer boot (though they can be tucked). The hem/knee on mine is 7.125"

PS: I skated in my jeans a few days ago for the first time and fell and got these amazing stack fades.... too bad the jeans weren't stacked normally because they were over skates so they look completely out of place, oh well

Trapp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info on your experience. I'm confused then as to why BIG suggested I size down three whole sizes from my true 33 to a tagged size 30. It doesn't square at all with your 28 waist fitting so well with your 28 tagged xx-010.

I need to find a way to try these on.

btw, the boots I was referring to are aldens, so not quite as clunky as the engineers.

Speaking of skating, I thrifted some roller skates last week and intend to skate outside soon. Just need to nail down my size so that I can do in some stiff new slubby jeans.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by KitAkira
I have a true waist of 28" and my PBJs (XX-010, cut the same as the XX-005) are tagged 28, for the first 2 weeks of wear my hips had to do battle with them to stretch, maybe I have bitching hips but that was a bit much (though I could easily have gone with a 29, my jeans fit about as perfectly as I'd like them to be though I prefer them to be very slim). The hips are actually more important than the waist in my experience (though I wear mine at the waist rather than sagged)

If you plan on wearing them over boots, this may not be the cut for you, while they are indeed straight from the knee down (and therefore a literal slim-straight cut), they taper a ton in the thighs so the leg is still really slim. They fit perfectly over my PS Ricards but I doubt that they'd do well over some large Engineer boot (though they can be tucked). The hem/knee on mine is 7.125"

PS: I skated in my jeans a few days ago for the first time and fell and got these amazing stack fades.... too bad the jeans weren't stacked normally because they were over skates so they look completely out of place, oh well

KitAkira

Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't normally skate in these jeans (that's what cheap 501STFs are for lol) but I didn't feel like going home and changing, once they break in I'm comfortable enough doing just about anything in them

KitAkira

Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Also, it may help to know that the waist of my jeans actually measure out (just did this) to 30" unaligned, but the hips would likely never allow for a true sz.30 to fit into them

Rolfi

Reaction score
pbj denim can stretch a lot if you want it to. i sized down one to 33 and it's a pretty tight fit in the top block and the thighs after a soak. but after a couple of wears it just stretches out.

if you want a slim fit size down one, if you're really skinny you can try going down 2

bakatora

Reaction score
christ sizing down 2 on pbjs sounds excruciatingly sadistic.

hamish5178

Reaction score
Not sure if anyone cares, but after a few months with the xx-005s I decided to get them tapered .5". Widening the selvedge line and not cutting any fabric, I'll post again when I get them back.

Trapp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bakatora

This is the response I got from BIG after mentioning that my waist measures 33 by the tape and posting familiar jeans sizes I wear, such as New Standard in size 30 and Left Field 1 rinse Tweeds in 33 (and others mentioned above):

"PBJ and Samurai do make some of the slubbiest denims we carry. For PBJ, the
XX-005 is their slim straight fit and the Blue in Green version, XX-013 is
the same denim and similar fit but with a tapered leg. If a 33 in the LF
Tweeds would have fit well then that does put your waist at 33" and if
you're looking to wear your jeans raw, then a size 30 in the PBJ XX-005 and
BiG XX-013 would most likely be the best fit.
Unfortunately for the LF
Tweeds though they're no longer available in any size, now or in the future,
as the denim is all gone."

So they're recommending I size down three sizes on PBJ's. Based on what I'm reading here, this would be agony.

KitAkira

Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I highly doubt you'd even be able to get them past the thigh

Jay-D

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Trapp
This is the response I got from BIG after mentioning that my waist measures 33 by the tape and posting familiar jeans sizes I wear, such as New Standard in size 30 and Left Field 1 rinse Tweeds in 33 (and others mentioned above):

"PBJ and Samurai do make some of the slubbiest denims we carry. For PBJ, the
XX-005 is their slim straight fit and the Blue in Green version, XX-013 is
the same denim and similar fit but with a tapered leg. If a 33 in the LF
Tweeds would have fit well then that does put your waist at 33" and if
you're looking to wear your jeans raw, then a size 30 in the PBJ XX-005 and
BiG XX-013 would most likely be the best fit.
Unfortunately for the LF
Tweeds though they're no longer available in any size, now or in the future,
as the denim is all gone."

So they're recommending I size down three sizes on PBJ's. Based on what I'm reading here, this would be agony.

Size 30 is too tight. Size 32 is your size for a comfortable fit, size 31 for a slim tight fit which will stretch out for a perfect fit after a couple weeks of wear.

Trapp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tigerFormula
They are saying you should go for 30 if you looking to wear RAW, that means unsoaked. PBJs measure quite large before the soak and shrink quite a bit.

Thanks. I know BIG is referring to raw, and I think Kitakira, bakatora, Rolfi, and Atsui were referring to their experience of the raw PBJ's as well. Anyways, I'm definately interested in the raw xx-015 and xx-013.

I'll probably try a 31.

KitAkira

Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Mine were O/W
blush.gif

Rolfi

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bakatora

hence why i said if you're a skinny dude yourself you could get away with it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads