1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

psssst, Aidan!  click here.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Renault78law, Jan 20, 2005.

1. Renault78law

Renault78law Well-Known Member

The top 10 baby names of 2004 Apologies in advance for this worthless thread, but seriously, I've never even heard of the name 'Aidan' before. Have I been living under a rock? (answer almost undoubtedly a resounding "yes")

2. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Well-Known Member

Aidan is, I think, a normal Irish name. There was that actor, uh, Aidin Quinn, I think...

It was also recently the name of a Sex and the City character, might contribute to it.

I personally preferred Eamon, but then that jackass weak R+B singer went and attached his no-talent ass clown career to it.

3. imageWIS

imageWIS Well-Known Member

I personally learned the name when I learned about Eamon de Valera. I like the name, although I don't think when I have kids the name will be particularly high on my list.

Jon.

4. nightowl6261a

nightowl6261a Well-Known Member

Under a rock, I know 2 Aidans

5. globetrotter

globetrotter Well-Known Member

Aiden is actually on the list of names my wife want to use, it works well in the 3 languages we speak in the trotter household. I am lobbying strongly for either tecumsah or odyssious, but have a snow balls chance in hell of either of those.

strangly enough, I grew up with a very unusual name and now my name is very common for children. go figure how these things work.

6. redtree00

redtree00 Well-Known Member

Globetrotter,

May I ask what is this unusual name of yours ?

Redtree00

7. Brian SD

Brian SD Well-Known Member

Aidan is also the first name of the Arab Strap singer/songwriter, Aidan Moffat.

I always thought if I had kids I'd go with really traditional names that are semi uncommon amongst children these days, namely (no pun intended) John and Thomas.

8. globetrotter

zach,  growing up, I never met a zach (it's not like tecumsah, but it isn't like george, either) now its in the top ten for the past few years, and I am always running into kids named zach.

9. redtree00

Is it Zach or Zecharia ?

10. globetrotter

actually, it was zach (short for zachary) for the first 12 or so years of my life, and then zachariah, for the next 6 or so, then I went by my last name mostly for a few years, and then it became just plain zach for the past 15 years or so.
    in israel zachariah is a name of an old yeminite, in terms of steriotypes. I guess it is about as common as meeting somebody named caleb in nyc today. when I was a kid in the states, I never met anybody with that name.

why do you ask?

11. redtree00

From reading previous posts I noticed that you were Israeli, I don't know any Israeli "Zach" but I do know several "Zecharia", mostly old yemenites like you mentioned and also several "Dosim" My name is Ilan, hence the name "redtree00". The red is for the shem mishpacha, admoni. chashavta she ata levad po ? [​IMG]

12. globetrotter

actually, hashavti. there aren't that many israelis who wear ties, let alone spend time writing about it. [​IMG] but that's why I figured you were asking, and actually, most people who didn't know me ended up calling me Tzakh or something similar. the last 8 or 10 years I was living in Israel (I left last year) most of my friends and collegues were in the high tech world so my name wasn't a problem for them. where are you based now?

13. redtree00

Globetrotter,

I am in NYC, I made Yerida 14 years ago. I left the day after my Shichrur.

I wear a tie every day, you get used to them when you have been wearing them since you were 5 years old. I had to wear one every day as part of my school uniform as a kid.

Where in the US are you located ?

14. globetrotter

suburbs of NYC. where were you in the army? I was feb 86 202.

15. redtree00

Feb 87
    401 for a year then shtachim and aza for the rest.

Suburbs of NYC as in NJ or LI ?

16. Andrew V.

Andrew V. Well-Known Member

Not only is Aidan/Aiden hyper-trendy, so are rhyming names Jaden/Braden/Caden, etc. Not to mention almost any name that ends in -en/-an/-in/-on (for example the painfully trendy name Madison).

17. globetrotter

rockland. I bet we probrably have a friend or two in common. I grew up in beer sheva, you?

(everybody else, sorry about the highjack.

18. redtree00

High School in Netanya Born and raised in Australia before then lets stop the hijacking, email me at ilanadmoni@gmail.com

19. imageWIS

I like Jonathan, thank you very much.

Jon.

20. imageWIS

(redtree00 @ Jan. 22 2005,07:30) Feb 87 401 for a year then shtachim and aza for the rest. Suburbs of NYC as in NJ or LI ?
    rockland. I bet we probrably have a friend or two in common. I grew up in beer sheva, you? (everybody else, sorry about the highjack.
    I thought it was the Palestinians that usually do the hijacking... (I can see my inbox filling with messages)