1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

PSA: Thin-Red Line backorder pre-order... We're idiots

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Trojanman74, Apr 21, 2009.

1. stoff

stoff Active Member

Hi guys,

Just a heads up - I emailed Robert last night and asked about whether he could get hold of a plain captoe for this pre-order - he said no problems!

2. somatoform

somatoform Well-Known Member

Can anyone comment on the UK G width equivalence in US size?

I understand UK G to be equivalent to US EEE. But if an F width = US D, and a G width = US EEE, does this mean that in UK sizing there is nothing in between like the way US sizing has E and EE?

It seems like a big jump going from a D width to EEE width with nothing in between...

For my half-brogue suede re-orders I'm trying to decide between 12UK F or 11.5 UK G. My Full brogues fit nicely, but wondering if I can eliminate some of the length while keeping a good width with an 11.5 G.

3. Trojanman74

Trojanman74 Well-Known Member

everyoen get in your orders today. if you have ANY questions, email richard. his email can be found throughout the thread. he will try his best to give you the accurate measurements of the shoe youre asking about or if he can do a special makeup of a shoe for you.

4. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Well-Known Member

FWIW, I just called Alfred Sargent from the number on their website and they mentioned that there is a half size difference in their shoes when converting from UK to US...

5. laddie00

laddie00 Member

FWIW, I just called Alfred Sargent from the number on their website and they mentioned that there is a half size difference in their shoes when converting from UK to US...

Does this mean a 1/2 size difference from the standard 1/2 size conversion? So one would normally convert a 10.5 US to 10 UK, but should subtract an additional 1/2 size to arrive at 9.5 UK. Oh dear, I've gone cross-eyed...

6. Wes Bourne

Wes Bourne Well-Known Member

Does this mean a 1/2 size difference from the standard 1/2 size conversion? So one would normally convert a 10.5 US to 10 UK, but should subtract an additional 1/2 size to arrive at 9.5 UK. Oh dear, I've gone cross-eyed...

I think it means that you should take your regular US size and substract .5 to get your Sargent UK size. In your case, 10UK would be your AS size... From personal experience, I also don't think there is a standard for converting US-UK sizes; some quote .5 while for others it's 1 full size down. I'd go with the manufacturer's rec in case of doubt.

7. guster

guster Well-Known Member

Hi guys,

Just a heads up - I emailed Robert last night and asked about whether he could get hold of a plain captoe for this pre-order - he said no problems!

If he is willing to do a plain cap-toe for this order,how do we let him know that - if orders are due today? It was not on the form last night.

8. justsayno

justsayno Well-Known Member

FX is between F and G

Can anyone comment on the UK G width equivalence in US size?

I understand UK G to be equivalent to US EEE. But if an F width = US D, and a G width = US EEE, does this mean that in UK sizing there is nothing in between like the way US sizing has E and EE?

It seems like a big jump going from a D width to EEE width with nothing in between...

For my half-brogue suede re-orders I'm trying to decide between 12UK F or 11.5 UK G. My Full brogues fit nicely, but wondering if I can eliminate some of the length while keeping a good width with an 11.5 G.

9. ohm

ohm Well-Known Member

If he is willing to do a plain cap-toe for this order,how do we let him know that - if orders are due today? It was not on the form last night.

e-mail.

10. Slewfoot

Now to throw another monkey wrench into my call to Alfred Sargent, I just received a pair of Half Brogue Willow Calf in a size 9.5 UK and they fit great and I'm a size 10.5 US.

Ahhhhhh!!!

11. the law

the law Well-Known Member

I'm a US 13D, and I received the UK 12 black calf monks. Fit was good, if not a little bit roomy. I could not imagine going any bigger, say, to a 12.5.

12. doogle

doogle Well-Known Member

first post here.

I've found this thread while looking info on alfred sargent shoes, and I've decided to join in on the pre-orders here, primarily interested in the full brogues.

I was just wondering what lasts these shoes were made on? Here's some pics from a japanese site of the pair that originally got me interested (Right pic, shoe to the far left) vs Thin Red Line version (Left pic):

[​IMG] [​IMG]

As you can see japanese version a wider silhouette than the Thin Red Line version. I was wondering if this was just the matter of different width sizing (typically made wider for Asian markets), or if it is made on an entirely different last. Can any experts comment on this?

13. doublebucklemonk

doublebucklemonk Well-Known Member

I am a US 12EEE and ordered a UK 11.5G. I emailed and asking Richard if this was correct, and he said that is the size he would recommend for me.

14. Razele

Razele Well-Known Member

Yeah, thanks Stoff for mentioning that captoe.

I changed my order to include plain captoes in black calf, willow calf and snuff suede.

This is just such a great deal for people starting out.

15. Knowledge is King

Knowledge is King Well-Known Member

Does anyone know which Sargent last these are on? 87 or 99 last maybe?

16. sarcasticfolly

sarcasticfolly Well-Known Member

Hi Guys, I haven't bought any dress shoes in a while and I was unsure of my size, so I measured my foot and via this chart http://shoes.about.com/od/fitcomfort/a/men_inches.htm I come out to be about a 10D (even though I wear an 11.5 sneaker, so thought that was odd), what should I order in these? Richard suggested a 9.5, but I don't want them to be too big, anyone familiar with AS have ideas? Thanks! Ben

17. Knowledge is King

Hi Guys,

I haven't bought any dress shoes in a while and I was unsure of my size, so I measured my foot and via this chart http://shoes.about.com/od/fitcomfort/a/men_inches.htm I come out to be about a 10D (even though I wear an 11.5 sneaker, so thought that was odd), what should I order in these? Richard suggested a 9.5, but I don't want them to be too big, anyone familiar with AS have ideas?

Thanks!
    Ben

It's likely that your sneaker size is larger than that of a dress shoe but only stating your sneaker size isn't enough. What exact sneaker are you referring to?

18. Slewfoot

Regarding Sargent lasts, I'm guessing (the key word here) that the Half Brogues are on the 104 last and the Chukka is on the 87.

I am a 10.5 US and wear a UK 9.5 on the 104. I ordered the Chukka in a UK 10 as the 87 simply looks a bit wider and likely has a rounder, shorter toe. I hope I'm right! If anyone has any other experience with these and suggests a different size I'm all ears. Thanks!

19. Wes Bourne

Wes Bourne Well-Known Member

Does anyone know which Sargent last these are on? 87 or 99 last maybe?

I have some Sargent made BB Peals on the 87 and 99 lasts; the TRL monks are definitely not on the 87. They don't look like the 99 either. Here's what was stamped inside:

TRL01 MSWS
    1653 8 16308
    LEATHER UPPER/LINING
    MADE IN ENGLAND

20. Knowledge is King

Too bad Sargent didn't stamp the inside with a recognizable last number. I was sort of hoping they'd be on the 99 but oh well