1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

PSA: Antonio Liverano film screening April 3rd, 2014

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by dieworkwear, Mar 27, 2014.

1. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Well-Known Member

Thought some people here might be interested. The Armoury is hosting a film screening of I Colori Di Antonio (a film about Antonio Liverano) on April 3rd. There will be a Q&A session, moderated by Bruce Boyer, with Antonio Liverano and the director Gianluca Mgliarotti. I assume some of The Armoury guys will be there as well.

The details of the event are:
    7pm, April 3rd, 2014
    School of Visual Arts, Beatrice Theater
    333 West 23rd Street
    NY, NY 10011
    (between 8th and 9th Avenue)

Tickets can be bought here:

http://thearmoury.com/en/events/nyc-i-colori-di-antonio-screening-usa-premiere

Webpage for the actual film:

http://www.icoloridiantonio.com/

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 27, 2014
    2 people like this.
  2. SartodiNapoli

SartodiNapoli Well-Known Member

how could i see the film?

3. jrd617

jrd617 Well-Known Member

They say never judge a book by its cover, but I found the trailer on the main page to be pretensious. Talk of "immortalization," shots of Jesus icons...

I'd still love to have a Liverano suit made :) Looks like excellent stuff.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2014
  4. dieworkwear

There will be a screening in NYC. If you're not able to attend, the second link I posted is to the DVD page.

Nice edit from your original comment ...

1 person likes this.
  5. jrd617

jrd617 Well-Known Member

Trailer looks tacky... would u like me to remove the qualifier not to judge a book by its cover? :D funny you mention this because you are constantly stealth editing your comments

Last edited: Mar 28, 2014
  6. conradwu

conradwu Well-Known Member

Great documentary - not pretentious at all. Never met Signor Liverano himself but Taka is the chillest guy east of the Atlantic.

7. poorsod

poorsod Well-Known Member

I got the DVD. Unfortunately won't be in town for the screening. The movie seemed more like an infomercial when compared to O'Mast.

8. Grammaton Cleric

Grammaton Cleric Well-Known Member

I had the same impression.

9. SartodiNapoli

SartodiNapoli Well-Known Member

I was last week in Rome with an association of tailors watching an exposition of reproductions of suits of presidents of the Italian Republic and one was done by him who is one of my fav tailors. I will try to upload the pics.

10. Tirailleur1

Tirailleur1 Well-Known Member

this was pretentious? how so?

11. thegreatgatsby

thegreatgatsby Well-Known Member

The trailer for this new movie suggests a high-gloss, beautifully shot film where the clothes (and the setting) are the stars. I'll buy the DVD.

When I saw the O'Mast trailer, however, I was uninspired to see the film. If anything, O'Mast seemed pretentious - including the film's title, and the trailer gave me the sense that I'd be watching a single garment being constructed in real time, as old Italian men sleepily mused about the craft while sitting in easy chairs.

This new film about "AL" feels more like a documentary made for a North American audience - which is where I live.

And that is not "an ugly American" comment --- as I love Europe (I've been there several times). I love Italian clothes. I love Italian films (I prefer French films though).

However, if you want people to be excited about your clothes, you - to a large extent - have to make a propaganda film - and not a video installation fit for an art gallery.

The "AL" film is - thankfully - the former... as it's an argument, and not an homage.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2014
  12. Tirailleur1

Maybe I'm so jaded by the avant garde but I find it amusing that you guys consider this film and the O mast film "video installation in at art gallery"

13. thegreatgatsby

That's a misread on your part Tirailleur1 ---

If the trailer of O'Mast is any indication - then it's one boring film - made for niche viewers (within a crevice, within a cleft, within a scar).

If the AL trailer is any indication - it's compelling film-making.

O'Mast appears to have the pacing (and the narrative sensibilities) of Matthew Barney's Cremaster - but without the stunning visuals and unnerving diegesis.

Again - I'm basing it on the trailer.

14. Tirailleur1

"However, if you want people to be excited about your clothes, you - to a large extent - have to make a propaganda film - and not a video installation fit for an art gallery."

I misread that?

15. thegreatgatsby

Yes - I was saying that about O'Mast - not the AL film...

I was drawing a distinction between the two

16. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

Good storytelling and good marketing are not incompatible. Very much the opposite, I think.The narrative of man upholding dignity in a changing, increasingly alien, world, is a compelling one. It's actually a prevailing meta-narrative for many on this forum.

17. Tirailleur1

I was also referring to the pretentious statement stated a few posts up

18. thegreatgatsby

I just think that if you gave Matthew Barney the assignment to make a promotional film about an Italian tailor - it would not necessarily be good for business (as Cremaster didn't make a profit - by any stretch of the imagination).

Listen - it's very simple:

The Esquire Big Black Book (UK Edition) is high-gloss, slick, gorgeous, and chocked-full of substance.

The Esquire Big Black Book (US Edition) is little more than bird-cage liner.

To wit -
    watch the trailers side by side - which do you want to see and why?

O'Mast: This trailer - IMHO - feels like an advert for the next jazz band scheduled to play the Cafe Carlyle in NYC

The AL Trailer:

19. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

Since I've seen O'Mast, I feel that this is an unfair question.

20. dieworkwear

I've seen both films, and don't really understand Gatsby's objections.

Some people voiced criticisms of O'Mast in other threads, some of which I thought was fair. There could have been a more straightforward "storyline," I suppose. But it's beautifully shot (truly, really really well done) and it's about a section of classic tailoring that doesn't get much film coverage. Almost all the documentaries I've seen on tailoring focus on England. It also captures much of Naples well, and most importantly, comes from the perspective of not only a client of bespoke tailors, but an enthusiast of classic men's tailoring. Many of the other films I've seen feel like they were filmed by someone who just happens to have a passing interest in the subject. Like they discovered it a year ago, and decided to make a film about it. I feel like O'Mast is a film made for enthusiasts.

When I first saw the Liverano film, I also thought it was an infomercial. But having heard the story about how the film came about, from talking to Gianluca himself, I think it grew out of a genuine interest. I also don't doubt that The Armoury had it made to both bolster their bespoke sales and also because they love and respect the man. I see The Armoury as an operation both run for profit and out of love.

There's a lot of romanticizing in both these films, to be sure, but half the fun in clothing is the romance.

Anyway, I'm just rather happy another documentary has been made about tailoring. Really, whatever faults there might be in any of them, I wish there were more of these.

1 person likes this.