• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Proposal work in the Architecture, Construction, & Engineering field

horndog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is for you architects out there from a non-architect. Any of you in the A/C/E field willing to start a dialogue on the industry and more specific to my interests- what it's like to work proposals? I'm a current Proposal Manager in the Federal IT sector (5 years years exp), currently romanticizing about an industry shift to A/C/E but frankly know nothing. The extent of my research has been the Archinect jobs website, "proposal" in the search field, and the hope that the postings represent some tenable possibility. Very interested in knowing more about the BD side of architecture... thanks for any input.

Arthur PE

Reaction score
I do a good bit of this work, engineering side
in my opinion it would be difficult for a non-engineer (or architect) to offer much to the package preparation (other than mechanics)
although for a large project many folks are involved (clerical, cadd, a/v, etc.)
but the 'meat' is developed by the guys that will actually have to execute the work

the selling point usually involves detailing a better way to do a technical project than the other guy, so by nature, very technical and project specific, not saying it is rocket science, but to sell design services for a wastewater treatment plant for example, you need to have a great deal of experience with them...that is why in most firms one of the sr. partners is usually the BD (or practice development) guy (and one is the operations/tech guy and one manages the business), but the proposal willl be a collaborative effort between the 3, ie, solution-method/resouces/execution/scheduling from the op guy, mark-up, cost, etc., from the business guy...the BD guy shakes the trees, does the smoozing, and puts the packages together and gets the agreement signed...

larger firms probably are a better bet for you, they likely have large BD depts.

in most states, to actually sell, or make the offer/pitch for these types of services, you have to be licensed
it may be done by proxy, but the deal must be signed by the licensed individual, and he must be in responsible charge of the process, from sale to design to commissioning

my state
(a) In order to safeguard life, health or property and to promote the general welfare, it is unlawful for any person to practice or to offer to practice engineering in this Commonwealth, unless he is licensed and registered under the laws of this Commonwealth as a professional engineer.

some interpret this as meaning the offer (pitch) must be made by the engineer (or at least with him present and having it prepared under his 'responsible charge' or direct supervison and control)

Last edited:

horndog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the thoughtful response arthur. The proposal process on the AEC side sounds typical of the federal contracting side where the BD is done by a VP with client/industry in's, the technical guys develop the solution, and then the proposal development cycle is led by a guy like me. Given my lack of industry experience you're right that I'd probably have to start at a larger firm where I'd be required to wear fewer operational hats and push process more.

Now to scope out companies to research.

Sarah745

Reaction score
Given my insufficient industry experience you are right that I'd most likely need to come from a bigger firm where I'd be required to use less operational hats and push process more.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads