1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Proper dress shirt sleeve length

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by acarlton, Jan 4, 2012.

1. Lear

Lear Well-Known Member

2. acarlton

acarlton Well-Known Member

3. urfloormatt

urfloormatt Well-Known Member

Hmm. I wear mine precisely at or maybe an 1/8th of an inch shy of my wrist bone. An inch from the V your thumb and finger make? That seems wrong to me, or I must be measuring from the wrong place, or I have very large hands (which I've never been told). An inch would be well beyond my wrist bone. I think the cuff can (perhaps should just) touch your palm, but it certainly shouldn't cover any of it.

But maybe this is why I have to have my coat sleaves taken up when I otherwise fit near perfectly in a 42R jacket.

4. acarlton

acarlton Well-Known Member

This is w/ the sleeve unbottoned by the way... I'm going to wash the shirt a few times, and see how it fits w/ the suit I'm getting back from the tailor next week and go from there. The salesman at Brooks Brothers assured me that the jacket sleeve was being measured to fit a 36" sleeved shirt...we'll see about that though

5. Cant kill da Rooster

Cant kill da Rooster Well-Known Member

An inch above the V of with it UNBUTTONED.

6. le.gentleman

le.gentleman Well-Known Member

It should reach until the root of the thumb as explained in detail in the Sleeve Length Guide .

1 person likes this.
  7. sygyzy

sygyzy Well-Known Member

When you guys are talking about where your sleeves sit on your wrists/hands are you talking about arms straight down to the side? Elbows bent on a table? Over your head? Hugging yourself?

8. Ivar

Ivar Well-Known Member

Traditionally, the length of the shirt sleeves is much up to individual preference: some people prefer them rather short (which looks best when standing, IMO), and some people prefer them considerably longer (which is arguably more comfortable when bending your arm). What is not negotiable, however, is the relationship between the shirt sleeves and the jacket sleeves. Here, established custom has it that the shirt cuffs should extend no less than 0.25 inch and no more than 0.75 inch below the jackes sleeves.

9. sygyzy

sygyzy Well-Known Member

Ok perfect. That really helps. If I have a partner measure my arms for sleeve length, should I measure to the V (thumb and index), top of my wrist bone, or the crease where the arm and hand meet?

10. Ivar

Ivar Well-Known Member

I like mine to end about half an inch below the wrist bone. But as I said, it's up to your own preference.

11. VRaivio

VRaivio Well-Known Member

acarlton: I'd say the correct length is a few cm from your wrist bone, where a watch might be worn. Anything below the base of your thumb is far too much.

12. bobellis75

bobellis75 Member

I see this is an older conversation...but recently this has been on my mind. I have been measured and told I'm a 32/33, however, I generally feel like that length comes up short much of the time. It looks fine if I'm standing, arms hanging at sides. But as soon as I start moving around, I I feel the sleeve start pulling up past my wrist, tightness in elbow area of sleeve, etc.

One thing of note - I do have pretty thick/broad shoulders...and I feel like sometime when I'm getting sized for a jacket, etc...the tailors don't always take that into effect. I'd say (and many have commented on this, so I'm going to say it's fact) that I definitely have broader shoulders than the average joe.

Anyway...Seems like when I jump to a 34/35, many are too long, though...but i guess better to be a bit long than much too short?

As I type this out for example, in a 32/33, I have my hands out in front of me on the keyboard...the sleeves have pulled up just even/slightly past my wrist bone. Another example, if I stand or sit with my arms crossed - I can feel in many shirts with the 32/33 length that the shoulders get tight and sleeves pull up a quarter to half inch past wrist bone...which puts end of sleeve about a half inch to full inch lower than the palm/bend in my wrist.

Question being this (to make a long question short):

Would most of you recommend I generally look for a 34 or 34/35 sleeve?

Thanks in advance...

Last edited: May 15, 2013
  13. gambit50

gambit50 Well-Known Member

^^^^Find cuffs that are somewhat narrow so they will only fall down to a certain point and are stopped by the width of your hand no matter the slack in the sleeve. RTW seems to make most cuffs too large. For aesthetics, narrower is better also.
    But why would you go from 32/33 to 34/35 rather than just 34 if possible? Also, every shirt is different in sizing for stated measurements. Try and try on again.

This all assumes not having the sleeve made to your measurements, of course.

14. bobellis75

bobellis75 Member

Right...I would probably go to a 34 or 34/35 just depending on the shirt and the offering of sleeve size. I know they all vary...I think I have one 34 and one 34/35 that work well, but then I bought one and returned the other day after the 34/35 was much too long, and the 32/33 too short (as usual).

Thanks for the reply...another option I have considered is if I find a good deal on a shirt is I could of course always have the sleeves altered at a tailor.

15. Draggar

Draggar New Member

First post so if I'm in the wrong place I apologize,
    I have read dozens of time the proper dress sleeve length, what drives me up the wall is coat (not suit jacket) sleeve length has no correlation to shirt sleeve length.
    As in I wear a a 34" on the mark dress shirt how in the world does that transfer to a coat sleeve lenth?
    Someone put me out of my misery.