1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Proper Cloth - Official Affiliate Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Seph, Feb 14, 2014.

1. JackFlash

JackFlash Well-Known Member

Working button holes means that the sleeve length cannot be altered (unless altered at the shoulder, which is prohibitively expensive); therefore, if the OTR sleeve length doesn't work for you, you're SOL. This is why working cuffs are traditionally made after the sleeve length has been set, not before.

2. Usonian

Usonian Well-Known Member

Oh, nice, thanks. That's completely logical actually. Working sleeves sure are nice though. Semi off topic, is it easy for a tailor to make the sleeves work on an existing jacket? Cause I would loooove to do that, and never even thougt about it.

3. MSchapiro

MSchapiro Well-Known Member

Is it possible to come in and try the jackets in the NYC office?

Also here in the UK, where I temporarily am, it is a similar price to alter from the shoulder or the sleeve. In fact the tailor I go to here does such a good job I tend to bring stuff over from the US just for tailoring. I haven't been able to find something similar in the US.

4. jeffreywlai

jeffreywlai Member

Hey MSchapiro, Proper Cloth does have jackets available in their NYC office for you to try out. They might have sold out of some sizes though. You can check what size they have left on the jacket product pages:

http://propercloth.com/products/lipari-soft-herringbone-86.html
    http://propercloth.com/products/salina-soft-multi-check-87.html

5. Burzan

Burzan Well-Known Member

Fabric samples arrived today! They are a great weight, the purple striped oxford is a little bit heavier and would be great for a year round shirt.

Top: Purple striped oxford, Eggplant end on end (amazing color)
    Middle: Howard Street chambray (one of my favs), Navy oxford
    Bottom: Black heavy oxford (basically just an overall grey look)

Basically now the Purple stripe oxford, eggplant end on end and the chambray on my list of future purchases. We'll see if I got the fit down when my blue oxford shows up on Friday.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. BolognaFingers

BolognaFingers Well-Known Member

I think that black heavy oxford is a pretty cool idea.

7. Burzan

Burzan Well-Known Member

I think it's ok until you get your first little snag and the black thread pops out like a sore thumb. No different than any other oxford but the contrast of the two threads is higher. Overall I don't think it's for me.

[​IMG]

8. wonsmithr8

wonsmithr8 Well-Known Member

I"ve got the Howard Street chambray on order (it looked and felt awesome in person) which should arrive on the 29th. I've also got another shirt that I can't remember on order at the same time.

9. Burzan

Burzan Well-Known Member

I have to agree about the Howard Street, seems like a great fabric. Looking forward to your thoughts on it once you get the shirt in hand. I think it will be my next purchase.

10. wonsmithr8

It should be an awesome casual shirt. I know Seph at PC was wearing it when I came in to get measured. I wasn't sure if I was gonna wear it tucked or untucked so he went with an in between length. Hopefully that'll be fine, otherwise I should should a length and stick with it for future orders

11. wonsmithr8

I was supposed to get my shirts today which would've been 12 days turnaround time from order to delivery, but they ran into delays. They did let me know ahead of time and apologized for the delay. It'll be 19 days turnaround time which still isn't bad compared to 30+ days I've waited for others

12. Burzan

Burzan Well-Known Member

Ordered May 8, delivery scheduled for tomorrow. Very happy about the turnaround time.

13. wonsmithr8

Which shirts did you order?

14. Burzan

Burzan Well-Known Member

Just one for now as it's my first and I want to get the fit down before deciding to buy more. I got the Light Blue heavy cloth oxford, soft ivy collar, soft cuff, one piece yoke.

Hoping for a staple casual oxford I can wear tucked or untucked with a great collar roll.

15. wonsmithr8

Ah okay sounds good. I think I went with the soft presidential spread collar, soft cuff, soft front placket, splt yoke for the chambray. Once I get the fit down, I'll be ordering at least two at a time. Seph said it's the same amount for shipping whether it's 1 or 5

Last edited: May 22, 2014
  16. Academic2

Academic2 Well-Known Member

Anyone know which of the spread collars has the tallest collar band? Thanks.

Cheers,

Ac

17. BolognaFingers

BolognaFingers Well-Known Member

Good to know. Now I can plunk down more money with the justification that I'm saving on shipping.

18. ccallis

ccallis Well-Known Member

The Soft Milano collar will have the highest collar band, but if you're looking for a crisp, fused collar then it'd be the President Spread collar.
    Chris

1 person likes this.
  19. ccallis

ccallis Well-Known Member

Hi Guys--
    We launched great new fabrics today that are limited edition factory find from Canclini. We've been trying to add some more fun, summer colors and think these will help fill that niche. You can see them all at http://propercloth.com/fabrics

First up is a 140/1 x 80/1 aqua end-on-end. We love the unique color tone here as a way to mix up the standard blue shirt in warmer weather. The hand is super smooth and the end-on-end weave gives it that great texture we love.
    [​IMG]

These multi grids are made with a 120/2 x 80/1 compact broadcloth construction. The three colorways are blue/navy, grey/purple, and red/navy. Great picks for adding color and pattern to a solid suit.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Finally, we love this airy 50/1 x 50/1 compact broadcloth. Definitely has July 4th vibes, but will transition into fall nicely with dark jeans.
    [​IMG]

As always, would love some feedback and any suggestions on things you guys are looking for. We'll be launching some new summer ties next week. Keep an eye out for them.

Chris

Last edited: May 22, 2014
  20. Academic2

Academic2 Well-Known Member