1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Proper Cloth - Official Affiliate Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Seph, Feb 14, 2014.

1. ericgereghty

ericgereghty Well-Known Member

I like broadcloth. It will wrinkle more, but that shouldn't really be a concern as it will be covered.

My thought is that the pique-ish nature of the royal oxford might clash a bit stylistically with the pleats.

2. kwv07

kwv07 Well-Known Member

Awesome! Thanks!

Any recommendations on the numerous Broadcloth offerings?

3. ericgereghty

I'd probably opt for the Thomas Mason (white, obviously) broadcloth. If ever there's an excuse to go top of the line, tuxedo time is it!

4. shirtsnob

shirtsnob Well-Known Member

I had heard it was stiffer.....bummed

the new pres 2....

Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
  5. shirtsnob

yes yes yes.....and yes

e me......jrk@jrkchiropractic.com

6. ccallis

ccallis Well-Known Member

I would actually suggest a twill over broadcloth or RO. Twill will be most opaque and drape the best. The shine of a twill will help it look whiter and photograph better. If you want under $100, then Hudson. Best value overall, then Greenwich Twill ($140). Best of the best of the best, go DJA Sea Island Royal Twill.

If you want to do broadcloth, our Miles, Stanton, and TM Broadcloths are all great. TM will hold up best over time, but handfeel is very similar for all three.

We actually updated the construction of our President Spread, English Spread, and Londoner collars to use a special (stiffer) style of interlining in the collar band. The leaf remains pliable. Response has generally been since we implemented. Semi Spread, Straight Point, and President Cutaway are all getting the same update in the next week.

Chris

7. kwv07

kwv07 Well-Known Member

Thanks, @ccallis . Do you recommend the twill even with the pleated front shirt?

Also, I assume the new collars (President Spread II, etc.) have the stiffer collar band, too? Any other collar updates coming?

8. ericgereghty

Chris,

Is this something that could perhaps be made to be more common knowledge? Maybe something included in mailers to newsletter subscribers?

9. WillingToLearn

WillingToLearn Well-Known Member

Would be great to update the Roma spread and cutaway as well, please, with the stiffer interlining.

2 people like this.
  10. kwv07

kwv07 Well-Known Member

@ccallis

Of the three broadcloth offerings (Miles, Stanton and TM), which is the most opaque? It appears that it would be the TM?

Thanks!

11. AriG

AriG Well-Known Member

Yes. Miles and Stanton are both excellent (wrinkle little, feel pristine, look very white) but they're not fully opaque. I don't think it's too bad though, and I never wear a undershirt. TM is slightly stronger in weight though and thus more opaque.

12. l1mab3an

l1mab3an Well-Known Member

Looking to fix this issue on my next order, as you can see in the picture there is serious placket droop going on. The neck is defienatly too large by atleast .5 but I am not sure if thats the only issue causing that sag. Any opinions would be welcome.

I will also be slimming the arms on the next shirt, any other alterations you suggest
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ?

13. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl Well-Known Member

Albini Oxford chambray with Roma soft spread. Fabric is wonderful...super soft. Collar is nice, but not sure it's for me.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  14. shirtsnob

15. shirtsnob

16. l1mab3an

Does the wrinkled shirt really make it hard to diagnose a floppy placket? Sorry, I will iron and retake if it will help.

17. shirtsnob

I aint mad at ya.....

I wasnt really pointing that remark all to you....

its just much easier to critique a fit w/ a nicely ironed and tucked shirt....or a shirt left out of slacks even

I will add that PC shirts often have that flaccid area..lol.....I dont know y....

mine as well...but I always wear sans tie...collar open......so that issue is never really seen

in addtn, I have come to accept my Pc shirts as great values...fun to have made........and understand they r not bespoke.

I do think making the collar tighter will help

btw, that collar seems large....... can I ask your ht??

18. ericgereghty

Did you lower the second button at all? I've noticed the gap between collar and second button bulges a bit (somewhat like your issue) on my shirts with a lowered second button.

In any event, it shouldn't be an issue, even if it is bad. You're presumably either wearing a tie, or with at least the collar undone, which will eliminate/cover the issue. The only way it would be noticeable is if you do the air tie look, and in that case you'd have bigger issues than a wonky button issue lol.

19. l1mab3an

I am 5'11, the collar is the Roma Spread.

20. shirtsnob

Quote:I like the idea of a mac daddy collar.. but its just soo big. can u wear that collar open sans tie..i think not.