• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All I can say is do NOT get the Milano II if that's too much bend for you, unless you have an absolutely giraffe-like neck.

I'm also in the pro-bend camp...wearing mine sans collar stays perfectly toes the line between relaxed and formal in my view.

CaptainTohm

Reaction score
Got my first Roma Spread collar today. As expected, it looks fantastic with a tie. Unexpectedly, it looks pretty damn good without one! I took some quick selfies for anyone who might be curious. I'm wearing collar stays in all of these pictures, but the collar is a little less aggressive (which I typically prefer) without them.

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
When we say bad without a tie, I think we meant no jacket either (holds the points down, doesn't look as long, etc)

SimplyStylin

Reaction score
New order arrived yesterday... wanted to mix things up a bit with the collars:

• Carmine Navy Mini Check PCF800, English Spread Collar, One Button Barrel Cuff, Front Placket Front Placket, Split Yoke
  • Howard Street Chambray PCF574, Soft Ivy Button Down Collar, Soft One Button Cuff, Soft Front Placket, Split Yoke
  • Dark Blue Melange Plaid PCF1202, Soft Franklin Spread Collar, Soft One Button Cuff, Soft Front Placket, Split Yoke

Only regret is the Soft Ivy Button Down on the Chambray, the fabric's a bit too light to support it.

The Dark Blue Melange Plaid is great. Very soft and comfortable. So much I wore it straight out of the box yesterday ;)

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can you show a pic that somewhat highlights the chambray being too light to support the collar?

SimplyStylin

Reaction score
Can you show a pic that somewhat highlights the chambray being too light to support the collar?

As soon as I get it back from the cleaners from the initial wash/press I'll do my best. It's probably a combination of the collar and soft front placket that just makes it all a bit too unstructured to wear under a blazer but may be ok on it's own. I'll know more in a few days.

Last edited:

ccallis

Reaction score
Hey Guys,
Been a while since I've had a chance to post here. Just wanted to update everything on a few things of note!

Australian MOP Buttons
We just added a beautiful new Australian MOP option to our button selection a week or two ago. It's our first 16L width button and has a 3.7mm thickness--nice and sturdy without being overkill/hard to button like those 4mm+ thick MOP's some guys do. The iridescent mottling is really beautiful and the shape has a very subtle cupping that we love. These are awesome!

Back Darts
I know there were plenty of guys here wanting to know when we would add darts. Well, we finally did (actually a few months ago). A great way to slim down a fit specifically in the lower back. You can figure out how our darts work via this link if you're interested: http://propercloth.com/reference/darts/

Washed Indigo Shirting
Our third round of denim shirts just went live yesterday. We've added a new softer, lighter solid denim twill quality in two awesome washes. One is a heavy bleach wash that's a beautiful faded light blue and the other is a lighter bleach wash is a deep medium blue. Along with the solids, we did two very limited run very unique indigo prints. Really pleased with how these came out.

If you're interested in the garment washed indigo styles, orders will close Tuesday at 12pm EST. So get 'em before there gone. http://propercloth.com/the-washed-denim-shirt

Chris

SimplyStylin

Reaction score

OK, so I take it back... the soft placket bends out some when you unbutton the top 2 on this shirt. Whatever, not a huge deal as I really like it anyway. No pic since the collar is not an issue.

bigsink

Reaction score
Anyone have trouble with shirts too tight right below the elbow? Since this isn't an area that can be expanded directly, how did y'all fix it? Ok wondering if I should go up like .50 then move the cuff button.

bigsink

Reaction score
Err, go up .50 on the cuff, then move the button once it arrives.

bigsink

Reaction score
Err, go up .50 on the cuff, then move the button once it arrives.

AriG

Reaction score
Well, you can choose 1 or 2 pleats, but I guess you know that. Then you really are left with cuff and arm width, I probably would've gone plus .25 each to make it least noticeable.

Last edited:

bluescholar

Reaction score

Well, you can choose 1 or 2 pleats, but I guess you know that. Then you really are left with cuff and arm width, I probably would've gone plus .25 each to make it least noticeable.

I have the same issue. I've heard Propercloth is adding a three pleat option soon. Not sure when exactly though. I am holding off ordering more shirts until then. Sad to miss out on the current washed denim options which look amazing but hoping they do another cycle of it again after they offer the three pleat option.

p0rkbelly

Reaction score
Hey Guys,
Been a while since I've had a chance to post here. Just wanted to update everything on a few things of note!

Australian MOP Buttons
We just added a beautiful new Australian MOP option to our button selection a week or two ago. It's our first 16L width button and has a 3.7mm thickness--nice and sturdy without being overkill/hard to button like those 4mm+ thick MOP's some guys do. The iridescent mottling is really beautiful and the shape has a very subtle cupping that we love. These are awesome!

Back Darts
I know there were plenty of guys here wanting to know when we would add darts. Well, we finally did (actually a few months ago). A great way to slim down a fit specifically in the lower back. You can figure out how our darts work via this link if you're interested: http://propercloth.com/reference/darts/

Washed Indigo Shirting
Our third round of denim shirts just went live yesterday. We've added a new softer, lighter solid denim twill quality in two awesome washes. One is a heavy bleach wash that's a beautiful faded light blue and the other is a lighter bleach wash is a deep medium blue. Along with the solids, we did two very limited run very unique indigo prints. Really pleased with how these came out.

If you're interested in the garment washed indigo styles, orders will close Tuesday at 12pm EST. So get 'em before there gone. http://propercloth.com/the-washed-denim-shirt

Chris

Slightly regret not ordering one now. I got too addicted to the Beacon Flannels and had to hold off.

As another note, anyone have any experience with the Wrinkle Resistant Twill vs the *Extra* Wrinkle Resistant Pinpoint? How different are the materials? Which is softer? etc?

professorclee

Reaction score

A Visit to Proper Cloth in NYC
During Thanksgiving week, I swung by custom shirt-maker Proper Cloth’s headquarters without an appointment to check out their fabrics and whatever samples of shirts and ties they might have on display. Though it’s recommended to schedule an appointment for a measurement, they weren’t busy, so I was able to verify my previous measurements there and order a custom shirt (I went with an orange and blue gingham for summer at $80). The loft space on the second floor of 450 Broadway in SoHo is inviting and I chatted with the Instagram famous Martel Francois who measured me.

I then looked through their ample fabric books and checked out their sample shirts firsthand, finally (I think) comprehending the difference between twills, broadcloths and pinpoints. I recommend a visit for an excellent experience designing your own shirt.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads