1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Proper Cloth - Official Affiliate Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Seph, Feb 14, 2014.

1. shirtsnob

shirtsnob Well-Known Member

funny funny funny....

good one

2. shirtsnob

ryan...

M2...

a car?

2002?....just wondering

3. mossrockss

mossrockss Well-Known Member

No

Yes

Hope that doesn't happen to me

Good to know.

4. mossrockss

I did a warm wash (gasp!), and hang dry. Ironed it out and took measurements and tried it on, then posted here.

1 person likes this.
  5. RyanM2

RyanM2 Member

I should also say, the first shirt I ordered from them turned out to be, what I consider to be, a bit too small (after a year of wearing and washing). So I adjusted my measurements for the second order and it turned out great.

No, I had an old account called RyanM but I can't figure out how to log in anymore (it's been a few years). I live downtown and take the subway & streetcars everywhere, ha.

6. mossrockss

Soft long one button cuff plus some wristraff

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. mossrockss

Oh, and here is the soft roma cutaway on top of my Eidos chambray shirt. So close it's basically identical, save for being lightly lined where as the eidos shirts are totally unlined AFAIK.

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  8. hookem12387

hookem12387 Well-Known Member

That's crazy. Good find @mossrockss

1 person likes this.
  9. ericgereghty

ericgereghty Well-Known Member

I'm glad that I have a soft Roma coming shortly

1 person likes this.
  10. Pb924

Pb924 Well-Known Member

I'm getting married in May and wearing a tux at the ceremony. I'm getting ready to have a tuxedo shirt made from ProperCloth and was looking for suggestions on fabric. My original plan was to use a nice Thomas Mason Twill fabric but I was told today that is to casual...Broadcloth could work but I don't like how wrinkly it gets. Any suggestions? Is twill really too casual?

11. ericgereghty

All depends on what YOU think/want. I can almost guarantee nobody (fiancé/eventual wife included) will give a second thought to twill's formality, or lack thereof.

In regards to broadcloth, it is considered (again, nobody will care, but for argument's sake) a bit more formal. It will wrinkle a bit more, but ask yourself where it will wrinkle. The answer is (presumably) nowhere it won't be covered by your tux. If it's a tux shirt (pleat/pique facings) a broadcloth would do you fine.

That said, I'd suggest you consider a royal Oxford. It's considered more casual than even twill (which I don't cannot understand), but it provides a visual effect similar to a pique facing tux shirt.

12. Pb924

Pb924 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the input. They have a few dobby fabrics on the website that add some of that picque like texture. I currently have a pleated front shirt that I'm not sold on. Thinking of making my order a plain front

13. ericgereghty

I also am blah about pleated front shirts. I quite like the pique front look, but you're definitely pigeon holing yourself if you do. Plain front obviously allows the shirt to be worn in non-tux scenarios...

14. shirtsnob

great advice by eric..

twill
    royal oxford/dobby
    broadcoth

all good

btw..who told you twill is cas?

Last edited: Apr 2, 2016
  15. Bonzai

Bonzai Member

What is the overall opinion of the stiff vs the standard collars, functionally speaking? I bought one of the lighter blue twills and with a stiff president, and I almost feel like the collar is too heavy for the fabric to support it when worn open and is difficult to keep upright.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2016
  16. Andy57

Andy57 Well-Known Member

I don't agree with this advice. A tuxedo shirt is a specialized item and I don't think there's any point in trying to wear one without wearing a dinner jacket. It won't do double duty.

My recommendation would be to get a pique (marcella) front shirt and make the body of the shirt in a lightweight broadcloth. Remember, no one will ever see the body of your tuxedo shirt. Only the collar, front, and cuffs are visible under your dinner jacket and you never, ever take that off.

1 person likes this.
  17. Andy57

Andy57 Well-Known Member

I have one (stiff president spread, I believe). It's okay. I didn't rush to my computer and order a bunch more. It's good without collar stays and good for a bow tie. I haven't tried to wear it without a tie.

18. ericgereghty

I definitely failed in my clarity, because we are in 100% agreement here!

While a plain front is more versatile (i.e. can be worn in other situations without looking silly), versatility should not be the goal of a tux shirt...it is meant to be different from a regular shirt, as a tux is meant to be different from a regular suit.

Pique front and broadcloth would also be my favorite. I'd be inclined to throw Royal Oxford in the mix, but I feel that may clash a bit with a pique facing shirt.

1 person likes this.
  19. Andy57

Andy57 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I'm not a fan of Royal Oxford cloth in general. I donated the one shirt I had made from it, some time ago. So I'm not a good person to judge whether or not it would work. I tend to think not, as it is heavier than would be necessary. But there's no reason I can think of why you couldn't use it, if you wanted to.

20. Pb924

Pb924 Well-Known Member

I went with Thomas Mason broadcloth and picque front

1 person likes this.