1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Proper Care for Lambskin Leather Jacket?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by furo, Oct 20, 2009.

1. aeglus

aeglus Well-Known Member

Related question. How do you prevent a hanger from distorting a leather jacket? I have some older leather jackets and over time they assumed the shape of the hanger, leaving a hump on the shoulder. Is the solution as simple as insuring that you have a proper size hanger? Or do people store their jackets without using hangars?
    I solved this problem by throwing my jacket on the floor and forgetting about it until I wear it next time. So far worked out well. Also it's a leather jacket. Stop babying it and trash it so it will actually look good.

2. nyarkies

nyarkies Well-Known Member

Based on the pictures, it doesn't look that bad. I'd wear that.

3. KObalto

KObalto Well-Known Member

It looks as if JL's marble finish...

Yeah, it looks like my JLs in museum calf. I wouldn't have conditioned it for at least a year, though.

4. DLester

DLester Well-Known Member

I solved this problem by throwing my jacket on the floor and forgetting about it until I wear it next time. So far worked out well.

Also it's a leather jacket. Stop babying it and trash it so it will actually look good.

Well I would rather have scuffs from the floor than the frigging shoulder bumps from a hanger. Someone posted an eBay leather jacket a while back with the bumps and asked what he could do about it. He was SOL. It looked ridiculous.

5. Big Pun

Big Pun Well-Known Member

It's a leather jacket, you just wear it. Not everything has to be pristine and conditioned...

6. somatoform

somatoform Well-Known Member

Also it's a leather jacket. Stop babying it and trash it so it will actually look good.

It's not a 1950s Bucco horsehide moto jacket, it's an RLPL and already looks good out of the box.

7. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Well-Known Member

looks fine, in the future you should stop worrying soo much.

If you get a hanger with wide shoulders that should solve the problem, much like it does for sportcoats and suits.

8. furo

furo Well-Known Member

Yeah I wore it out today, hope it's fully dry by now but just going to forget about it and let the colors run their course over time!

9. Doctor

Doctor Well-Known Member

I decided to bump this thread instead of creating a new one to see if I can get a response.

I have this exact leather jacket and am unsure about the proper care for it. I'm not too bothered about a leather conditioner etc - I am bothered about water.

I have been very careful not to get it wet thus far, but is there any way I can waterproof it such that it can be worn in the rain? Of course I don't intend to get drenched, but I live in a part of the world where the only time the temps are actually low is when it's windy and raining somewhat, so if I wear it out at such times, a bit of water will inevitably get on it. Am I right to be avoiding such occurances?

Bear in mind the leather on this thing is like butter. Really, really soft and delicate.

10. jblazing

jblazing Active Member

It looks great in the pics and no damage is apparent.

11. raiders1967

raiders1967 New Member

Why did you feel compelled to put neatsfoot oil on a brand new jacket? I thought a leather conditioner is to put moisture in to dried leather.

On every pair of suede shoes I own, I have treated them with a spray protectant. It does not darken the leather.

Andrew Marc offers a TLC leather kit, which includes a Rain & Stain protector.

It's not too late now to protect the coat against rain and stains.

A.K.A.:

Have you tried the Andrew Marc kit? If so, what results did you see?

Thanks.

12. raiders1967

raiders1967 New Member

looks fine, in the future you should stop worrying soo much.

If you get a hanger with wide shoulders that should solve the problem, much like it does for sportcoats and suits.

Thanks for posting this tip.

13. Wideknot

Wideknot Well-Known Member

I decided to bump this thread instead of creating a new one to see if I can get a response.

I have this exact leather jacket and am unsure about the proper care for it. I'm not too bothered about a leather conditioner etc - I am bothered about water.

I have been very careful not to get it wet thus far, but is there any way I can waterproof it such that it can be worn in the rain? Of course I don't intend to get drenched, but I live in a part of the world where the only time the temps are actually low is when it's windy and raining somewhat, so if I wear it out at such times, a bit of water will inevitably get on it. Am I right to be avoiding such occurances?

Bear in mind the leather on this thing is like butter. Really, really soft and delicate.

OK, I know that this is like seven months since you posted but somebody necroed this thread and I just caught it. The first thing to know is: "What kind of leather?" The second is: "What kind of jacket?" If you're tallking about FQHH, goatskin, or heavy steer hide--particularly on a heavy jacket like an A2 or a mutt, then getting it wet, even completely, thoroughly, absolutely soaked through isn't going to hurt it. It will just improve the character and, if you wear it dry, the fit. I know a lot of guys who, first thing, wear their new leathers in the shower to begin the break in process.

On the other hand, if you're talking about something like delicate lamb in a fashion jacket, you're best off just leaving it alone. Unless the leather is seriously dried out, it should not need any treatment (see the above posts for what can happen.) Lamb, IMHO, is basically disposable. You get it, wear it for a couple of seasons, it starts showing wear, developes holes and not character, and its time to buy a new one. Horse, goat, steer you keep for a lifetime.

14. westinghouse

westinghouse Well-Known Member

It's a leather jacket, you just wear it. Not everything has to be pristine and conditioned...

+1,000

It's just a leather jacket. You wear it...

15. Ianiceman

Ianiceman Well-Known Member

+1,000

It's just a leather jacket. You wear it...

Thank you for some common sense on this thread. I know a lot of us igents are overly fastidious but some of the fiddling and farting about on this forum is ridiculous. There was another thread recently about people poncing about over thief shoes with all kinds of potions and preparations. Just polish them when they're dirty and rub with a cloth between polishings.

I have a leather A 2 and a Scott perfecto each bought in 1989. Haven't put anything on them and they look better every year.

16. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Well-Known Member

Thank you for some common sense on this thread. I know a lot of us igents are overly fastidious but some of the fiddling and farting about on this forum is ridiculous. There was another thread recently about people poncing about over thief shoes with all kinds of potions and preparations. Just polish them when they're dirty and rub with a cloth between polishings.

I have a leather A 2 and a Scott perfecto each bought in 1989. Haven't put anything on them and they look better every year.

Office pants + lambskin jacket + thief shoes = perfect sports bar attire.

- B

17. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Well-Known Member

Office pants + lambskin jacket + thief shoes = perfect sports bar attire. - B
    Example of 'thief shoes' you would recommend please?

18. lincolnshirepaul

lincolnshirepaul Active Member

Use a tiny bit of vaseline on a cotton cloth. That gets rid of all scuffs.

19. Lear

Lear Well-Known Member

Hang your heavy overcoats and FQHH jackets on these:

www.discountxl.com/25-460.htm

They can support 100 pounds in weight. That'll be enough to support some members still wearing their jackets.

Lear

20. marco garza

marco garza New Member

tlc rain &stain protector