1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Prometheus (Ridley Scott's Alien "Prequel" )

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by jrd617, Jan 3, 2012.

1. CaesarSTL

CaesarSTL Well-Known Member

I do think it could have been cooler if she survived that scene though... just to make it to her pod. I can totally see her character thinking, "two years of life in the pod for me, or quite a bit less with Shaw and myself together.... Hmmm, it took two years to get here so... sorry Shaw!" Then, instant karma...

2. lefty

lefty Well-Known Member

A meandering, illogical, and at times idiotic mess of a movie. I can't bother to list all the stupidity, but can someone explain why the captain and the two pilots raised their hands as they crashed into the ship? Happy to be out of this movie and on their way to Club Med?

lefty

P,S. fanboys try to explain every inconsistency: http://www.prometheus-movie.com/community/forums/topic/8122

Last edited: Jun 30, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  3. gort

gort Well-Known Member

:satisfied: :hide:

Last edited: Jun 30, 2012
  4. Augustus Medici

Augustus Medici Well-Known Member

I'm disappointed in Ridley Scott. This movie wasn't bad, but it wasn't up to par either. I hope it was just a hiccup for Ridley, as his movies are usually well done.

Then again, MIchael Mann did a couple of awesome movies only to slide into idiocy. Are these dudes just getting senile now?

5. Reggs

Reggs Well-Known Member

A good write up on how David relates to Lawrence.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/quora/why-does-david-identify-h_b_1598998.html

Was David's hair a different color in the very beginning? Did he color it to look like Lawrence?

Last edited: Jul 2, 2012
  6. GQgeek

GQgeek Well-Known Member

The archeologists were boneheads and not believable as experts of any kind. The visuals were nice, but overall I found it to be a bit meh, though the Lawrence/David thing was amusing as someone that loved Lawrence of Arabia. I also didn't like Charlize Theron in it at all.

7. imatlas

imatlas Well-Known Member

This is a very interesting exegesis, but it raises still another plot hole - if David is an android, why does he have any desires or feelings? If androids have feelings and desires, why do all the humans act as if androids might as well be toasters?

8. ken

ken Well-Known Member

The androids in the Alien universe have always been very sentient, self-aware, and somewhat emotional. I think some humans' deriding attitude towards them is supposed to be a form of "racism".

1 person likes this.
  9. TheDarkKnight

TheDarkKnight Well-Known Member

I re-watched the film tonight and must say that I enjoyed it more on the second viewing and was less annoyed by the film's faults. Sure the faults were still there, but in the absence of my huge expectation on the premier night and the subsequent heated online debate, I enjoyed the film a lot.

Good point about the androids. In Alien, Ash's behavior and slavery to the Weyland directive made him a very malevolent character indeed. Later models - Bishop had behavioural inhibitors and as such Bishop was a very strong, very good character in Aliens.

^ As David was effectively the first Android model, there would be a huge amount of bugs to iron out, and I took his actions to be a lot like the Replicants in Blade Runner - he was created and thrown into the world with very little time to make sense of it. On top of that, on second viewing of the film it seems even more clear that his malignant behaviour is directly attributable to Weyland's programming. So much so that David resents him for it - "doesn't everyone want their parents dead"

^ With Weyland dead, David's attitude seems to change a lot at the end of the film, and he also bargains for his own self preservation - again perhaps quite a human emotion

10. why

why Well-Known Member

+1. Just saw this turd. The list of plot holes is large enough without even talking about the number of cliches and just generally awful script. My eyes got a workout from rolling so much.

For one thing, I don't like it when people preach to me. I definitely don't like it when Hollywood script writers who can't even tie a plot together -- let alone form a coherent philosophy -- put existentialism and religion together in a movie as juvenile as this.

Horrible, horrible movie.

3 people like this.
  11. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Well-Known Member

I found David to be the only entertaining part of the movie.

12. SantaSeanathon

SantaSeanathon New Member

+1

13. gettoasty

gettoasty Well-Known Member

14. javyn

javyn Well-Known Member

Finally saw this.... They could have done a far better job telling the Space Jesus story IMO. Also, the giant plot holes were really lame, but I guess what can you expect when at the last minute right before shooting the suits in the studio come at Scott with "Ya know....our focus groups are telling us the Alien franchise is stale, so why don't ya just, you know, remove all the Xenomorphs and replace it with some bullshit space goo"

"Oh yeah, ya know where Dr. Shaw is impregnated with an Alien and she goes the med pod to remove it, and while she's healing for 8 hours after ejecting the Alien, going in and out of consciousness watching it terrorize the ship until she's completely healed...?? Well, instead let's have it be a big squid, not eject from the pod, and have her run out of the pod IMMEDIATELY after major surgery. That's way better"

Also, good call cutting out the conversation between David/Weyland/Engineer....that would have given away a smidgeon of the plot, we can't have that!

Last edited: Oct 29, 2012
  15. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Well-Known Member

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    Do you really think 8 hours would have made that big of difference with the the type of surgery shown? All the machine did was staple her shut.

16. imatlas

imatlas Well-Known Member

Speaking as the spouse of someone who has had abdominal surgery twice, 8 hours is about enough recovery time for the patient to raise her head a couple of inches and ask for a sip of water.

17. javyn

javyn Well-Known Member

From what I read the 8 hours entailed more than stapling heh, and yeah, a half minute montage representing 8 hours of that machine doing what it does while the Alien is wreaking havoc would have definitely made a huge difference as far as suspension of disbelief goes.

18. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Well-Known Member

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    Best take I read on the surgery scene involved the fact that they didn't simply invent some kind of magical healing goo. The movie is set in the future and is Sci-Fi. The audience would have completely bought the fact that they had a new healing/pain numbing technology for emergency surgeries like that.

Instead of going the extra steps to be creative and put some thought into this scene, the writers had the machine do a quick stapling of the wound. At most this would have held together the outer tissue layers with her insides on the verge of bursting out.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2012
  19. Reggs

Reggs Well-Known Member

I saw Aliens again.

I really have to say, it was horrible. It was more of an "action packed thrill ride" than a horror movie. How can you go from a movie like Alien to having a child in the mix for cute and tender scenes, and flying away from explosions? The heavy handed feminist message was too overt. The dialogue was awful. What I wouldn't give to sit next to Ridley Scott as he watched it for the first time.

James Cameron is such a hack. The only thing he's ever made that I liked was Terminator 2.