1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Pre-folded Squares: Too gauche for words, or convenient sartorial statement?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Chase Hamilton, Mar 29, 2009.

1. Classically

Classically Well-Known Member

Gaudy as hell like clip-on ties, unless you happen to be a five-year old pimp. Besides, it's easier and cheaper to fold your own. Plus you can brag to your friends that you know how to fold a pocket square.

2. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Well-Known Member

you can brag to your friends that you know how to fold a pocket square.

+1....oh wait...[​IMG]

3. mafoofan

mafoofan Well-Known Member

Part of me died inside.

4. radicaldog

radicaldog Well-Known Member

A monstrous aberration.

An a slightly off-topic provocation: most looks are worsened by pocket squares, anyway. Except perhaps for linen squares in certain occasions, most pocket silks give the impression that the wearer is trying too hard. Especially if the wearer is under 40. One has to be a really proficient dresser to pull off a pocket square. Of course it's not weird if the Prince of Wales (who is 60) wears one, but most mortals look affected with silk sticking out of their breast pocket. Also notice that Agnelli hardly ever wore one, and in any even it was always white linen. \t[​IMG]

5. whiteslashasian

A monstrous aberration. An a slightly off-topic provocation: most looks are worsened by pocket squares, anyway. Except perhaps for linen squares in certain occasions, most pocket silks give the impression that the wearer is trying too hard. Especially if the wearer is under 40. One has to be a really proficient dresser to pull off a pocket square. Of course it's not weird if the Prince of Wales (who is 60) wears one, but most mortals look affected with silk sticking out of their breast pocket. Also notice that Agnelli hardly ever wore one, and in any even it was always white linen. \t[​IMG]
    What a preposterous cur! I find that a jacket without the adornment of a pocket square looks incomplete. It looks too plain, too pedestrian, too boring. I'm 23 and wear pockets squares most of the time when wearing a jacket. This includes work, formal events, and casual wear. To be fair most of my pocket squares are linen or cotton which I much prefer to silk on a day to day basis.

6. dopey

dopey Well-Known Member

The descriptions of the various styles are great.

7. mack11211

mack11211 Well-Known Member

Have you considered construction paper?

It really holds a fold.

8. KJT

KJT Well-Known Member

They already sell cardigans with a shirt (collar, body and cuffs) sewn to the inside.

No way. Seriously, no way. Can you post a picture?

9. whiteslashasian

They already sell cardigans with a shirt (collar, body and cuffs) sewn to the inside.

I believe it's akin to the already "old hat" hood sewed onto the collar of a blazer...

[​IMG]

10. Film Noir Buff

Film Noir Buff Well-Known Member

These pocket squares aren't that much removed from getting functioning cuff buttonholes cut into a ready made suit jacket.

11. Zenny

Zenny Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Even sweater-vest/shirts

[​IMG]

12. Film Noir Buff

Film Noir Buff Well-Known Member

The pocket square on cardboard is more useful.

13. Bhowie

Bhowie Well-Known Member

They're only appropriate when they are an inch of cloth mounted on a piece of cardboard with a funeral home advertise. Otherwise, they're tacky.

HE SPEAKS!

14. embowafa

embowafa Well-Known Member

HE SPEAKS!

+1. After reading it, I thought that the thread might have been a necrothread from 2-3 years ago.

When I saw 'Yesterday' on the post, I 'bout shat mahself.

15. Chase Hamilton

Chase Hamilton Active Member

+1. After reading it, I thought that the thread might have been a necrothread from 2-3 years ago.

When I saw 'Yesterday' on the post, I 'bout shat mahself.

Ah, no big deal, embowfa. KB posted in two threads I started over at AAAC... [​IMG]

Kind Regards,

Chase

16. Shoe City Thinker

Shoe City Thinker Well-Known Member

That is sooo ghetto. They're all the rage at the Sunday service at the local Missioneria del Christo Evangelica. A.J. Wright can't keep enough in stock.