1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Posting same topic here and on AAAC forums??

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Casanova White, Apr 11, 2008.

1. dopey

dopey Well-Known Member

Fair enough but there is evolution vs devolution.

Take a look now at how my parallel threads are doing:

http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/f...ad.php?t=81610
    http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=62637

The SF thread has over twice the number of pages. The only really high post count members to have contributed to the AAAC thread are the moderators (AK, ME), WA, and Concordia. Medwards had to modify the title of the thread to save it from total cruiserification.

What you call devolution may just mean that forum has moved on to an interest in other topics - say "Do I need to wear a tie if I am pairing a suitjacket with jeans?"

If people find that kind of forum interesting and useful to them, I have no complaint. To the contrary, I am happy to know that I have one less place on which to waste time. I fail to see why it matters if all the conversation a few of us like has shifted to one place instead of being split in two places.

2. Sator

Sator Well-Known Member

What you call devolution may just mean that forum has moved on to an interest in other topics - say "Do I need to wear a tie if I am pairing a suitjacket with jeans?"

Hence the phrase "Ask Cruiser About Clothes". Evolution or devolution?

If people find that kind of forum interesting and useful to them, I have no complaint. To the contrary, I am happy to know that I have one less place on which to waste time. I fail to see why it matters if all the conversation a few of us like has shifted to one place instead of being split in two places.

That is a fairly damning admission.

3. dopey

dopey Well-Known Member

Hence the phrase "Ask Cruiser About Clothes". Evolution or devolution?
    While I am not a big fan of cultural relativism, I am happy to be non-judgmental about this. I couldn't care less what Cruiser thinks and a forum in which his opinion is valued as opposed to just tolerated is of no interest to me. But I do recognize that other people find his perspective useful. As long as I have someplace else to go, they can have him.
    That is a fairly damning admission.
    What do you mean?

4. Orsini

Orsini Well-Known Member

...cruiserification.
    Buwahaha! You funny guy!

5. dopey

dopey Well-Known Member

Buwahaha! You funny guy!

Just wait until he uses Cruiserfixion in a sentence.

6. Sator

Sator Well-Known Member

What do you mean?

You effectively called AAAC a waste of time. Your time, though it may be, and indeed what constitutes a "waste of time" is very much a relative judgement. Still, it is pretty damning coming from someone as knowledgeable as you are.

7. Sator

Sator Well-Known Member

I considered that one but thought it too self-consciously witty. In fact, I think it is really sad and no laughing matter at all.

8. Orsini

Orsini Well-Known Member

That is good, too! Very amusing!

9. Orsini

Orsini Well-Known Member

I considered that one but thought it too self-consciously witty. In fact, I think it is really sad and no laughing matter at all.
    It is very sad. I believe the number of new posts over there is consistently down from the not too distant past.

10. dopey

dopey Well-Known Member

You effectively called AAAC a waste of time. Your time, though it may be, and indeed what constitutes a "waste of time" is very much a relative judgement. Still, it is pretty damning coming from someone as knowledgeable as you are.

I was puzzled by your use of the term "admission" but I now understand you didn't mean it the way I took it.

And while you misunderstood what I meant by "waste my time" (the sentence was equivocal, I admit), you understood my overall point nonetheless. I have less and less reason to look in on AAAC, as the people who I find interesting and enjoy discussing clothing with are less often there. I think that is a self-reinforcing loop and one that may have moved past the point where it can be changed. If there were no SF, I would care. But since there is, I don't.

And thank you for the compliment. Given the source, it is especially appreciated.

11. LabelKing

LabelKing Well-Known Member

I must say, Cruiser is an unusual moniker choice for someone who has to constantly remind people that he is a successful father, local town constituent and hog-rider.

12. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

I must say, Cruiser is an unusual moniker choice for someone who has to constantly remind people that he is a successful father, local town constituent and hog-rider.

[​IMG]

13. grimslade

grimslade Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Quit padding your post-count, dude.

14. RJman

RJman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Well-Known Member

Other than doing a search 10 minutes ago to see who this "Cruiser" character was, I haven't been on Andy in a year or two. Like a lot of others, I started on Andy back a few years ago and then found my way to SF, posting/viewing here more often because of the greater variety of members.

As for devolution, every forum of which I've been a member (since 2001 or so) has gone in this decline. There was a great Dior Homme MSn forum back in 2002-2003; now it's virtually gone, with only a few catty teenagers who keep asking "is this authentic?" and "what's the difference between 19 and 21 cm hem widths?" Likewise, Thefashionspot was great in 2002-2005 or so with hundreds of VERY knowledgeable members; now it's basically "model chat 101" with a bunch of posters who've never quite figured out how important periods, commas, and verbs are to sentences (instead thinking that smilies and lots of exclamation points will do the job). Same with basenotes forums; the discussions became both repetitive and overburdened by ultra PC moderating.

SF is one of the only forums that has stayed consistently interesting, but mostly I think it is because we "self-moderate." If a really dumb/overbearing poster suddenly bursts onto the scene, MANY members will step into keep things "normal." I don't know about AAAC, but at the other fora, a sense of overly-PC moderating started to kill the vibe. Here, we can call an idiot an idiot. Other places, you'd get "timed out" for telling the truth and saying that a member was dictating TOO MUCH with too little reason.

16. A Y

A Y Well-Known Member

I haven't posted or read on AAAC for a while, too, which is sad because it was my introduction to the wonderful world of Internet clothing fora (and I say that without a hint of irony). Many of the reasons others have already written are why I don't really go there anymore.

--Andre

17. A Y

A Y Well-Known Member

A related question: do you answer the same cross-posted question on other forums? The same way (copy-and-paste) or differently? I tend to answer only in one place depending on where I read it first.

--Andre

18. Matt

Matt Well-Known Member

depends how the conversations go. If they head in different directions, then you end up in in different discussions.

I wouldnt bother giving my same answer to the original post in both threads though.

19. LabelKing

LabelKing Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Kind of stylish, but I'm afraid I don't know the film.

20. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

Kind of stylish, but I'm afraid I don't know the film.

Sort of an anti-classic. Pacino stars as a cop who goes under cover to investigate murders in the Meatpacking District's gay underground. It was called ... Cruising.