1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Postage Costs

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by davesmith, Jul 5, 2012.

1. davesmith

davesmith Well-Known Member

I recently moved from NY to England and I am simply blown away by how much it costs to mail things here.

For example, today I mailed a few items, for a pair of cufflinks (they weighed 17g/0.5oz) I was charged £3.30 ($5) this was without tracking, for a tracking number the price was £8/9 ($12/13)

These items were mailed from London to the US.

I'm sure many know but in the US to mail these items would be far cheaper (although maybe not if sent priority mail international.....)

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]I am just wondering if people could offer some insight into what options I have?[/FONT]

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]Here are a fwe of my thoughts..[/FONT]

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]> No more free shipping
    > Minimum order before free shipping
    > Increase prices
    [/FONT]

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]Anyone have ideas? [/FONT]

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]Any questions? Feel free to ask.[/FONT]

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]Thanks.[/FONT]

2. FLMountainMan

FLMountainMan Well-Known Member

I've always been amazed at how ridiculously cheap the US Post Office is. I have nothing useful to add to this discussion.

3. davesmith

You can say that again! Haha. I regularly sent stuff to australia and the far east for pennies.

4. Rambo

Rambo Well-Known Member

And reliable too. When was the last time you had a letter get lost? Its fucking ridiculous.

5. FLMountainMan

FLMountainMan Well-Known Member

I've only had one letter lost.

I don't like your sarcasm, Rambo.

[​IMG]

6. davesmith

Funny enough I never had anything lost (touchwood) I once sent a package to Canada instead of California, 5 weeks later it turned up in California at the guys doorstep. I wonder how many miles that package travelled....

7. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Well-Known Member

I wonder if that's the case for the rest of Europe, or even Canada. Oh, and don't forget about mail strikes. Royal Mail and Canada Post both had week-long strikes in the last few years, while I don't recall a USPS strike in recent memory.

Congrats on the move. I hope you're enjoying England. Any reason for the move?

8. davesmith

England is rainy.

Both my family and my wife's live in England, we were only in the US for 2 years just chilling after we got married!!!

Funny you should mention that, Royal Mail strikes all the time and charges crazy amounts whereas the USPS never strike and charge nothing! Interesting.... Don't forget VAT is 20% and if it costs $10 in the US it costs 10 pounds in the UK... crazy.

9. fwiffo

fwiffo Well-Known Member

Would it not be easier to just charge whatever it costs to the post the item?

I never quite understood the free shipping to continental US from private sellers but now it's explained.