1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Post your photography skills! (self-gloss)

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by JetBlast, Jan 9, 2007.

1. mjHession

mjHession Well-Known Member

Too late...

So did you end up with the 60d and 15-85?

2. NOBD

NOBD Well-Known Member

So did you end up with the 60d and 15-85?

Yes. My 17-85mm was my favourite lens. I "need" the versatility of that lens. The 15-85mm has the same characteristics but is better; for me, for now, that lens is the obvious choice.

And indeed:

[​IMG]

(Battery is loading, so I have to wait before I can play...)

3. mjHession

Yes. My 17-85mm was my favourite lens. I "need" the versatility of that lens. The 15-85mm has the same characteristics but is better; for me, for now, that lens is the obvious choice. And indeed: http://i.imgur.com/KDQer.jpg (Battery is loading, so I have to wait before I can play...)
    I'm sure you'll love it, what was your previous body? I havn't heard too much about the 60D, but from what I have read it looks pretty decent. I know that the 15-85 is an incredible lens if it is fast enough for you. I've watched a 3hr 7D intro on B&H made by canon, where one of the three lens the tester used was the 15-85 (the others were the 100L and 100-400L). He raved about this lens. optically it seems awesome. Give us some samples when you get that battery ready. 2mm difference is alot on wide end. Just be careful that the extra 2mm on the wide end doesn't get you itchin for more.

4. NOBD

NOBD Well-Known Member

I'm sure you'll love it, what was your previous body? I havn't heard too much about the 60D, but from what I have read it looks pretty decent. I know that the 15-85 is an incredible lens if it is fast enough for you. I've watched a 3hr 7D intro on B&H made by canon, where one of the three lens the tester used was the 15-85 (the others were the 100L and 100-400L). He raved about this lens. optically it seems awesome. Give us some samples when you get that battery ready. 2mm difference is alot on wide end. Just be careful that the extra 2mm on the wide end doesn't get you itchin for more.
    I will. [​IMG] There's probably always something to itch for... Previous (and now spare) body was the 350D. I think I'll notice some differences...

5. Kas

Kas Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Thai Buddhas - HDR by npmeijer, on Flickr

A HDR from 1 shot. Looks way more like it actually looked in real life than I can get from 1 exposure.

Anyway, I'm looking into getting a second-hand Nikon d700 and see them advertised for around 800-1200 euro. A new one would be about 2200 euro. What's a good price for it? To be honest, I'm looking for any Nikon full-frame, but the D3s and D3x are both over 4k, which is a little out of my budget.

6. il ciclista

il ciclista Well-Known Member

Congrats nobd! I know you've been wanting it for a while.

7. NOBD

NOBD Well-Known Member

Congrats nobd! I know you've been wanting it for a while.

Thanks.

Quick shot of my daughter's pencil box:

[​IMG]

8. Szeph el raton

Szeph el raton Well-Known Member

Yes. My 17-85mm was my favourite lens. I "need" the versatility of that lens. The 15-85mm has the same characteristics but is better; for me, for now, that lens is the obvious choice.

And indeed:

[​IMG]

(Battery is loading, so I have to wait before I can play...)

Great choice, that body should be a nice update over the 350D.

About the lens, did you consider going with the EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 USM IS and then adding 70-200L f/4 for the long end?

9. NOBD

NOBD Well-Known Member

Great choice, that body should be a nice update over the 350D.

I'm starting to realize that after playing with it for a while...

The first one: yes. Thing is, the first year I had my 350D I used the kit lens (not comparable quality-wise, but with the same 17-55mm reach). It was fine, but when I got the 17-85mm, I really enjoyed the larger reach, without having to switch lenses (I'm a bit lazy when it comes to that).

The second one seems really nice, but I have an old 70-300 of which I use the 200-300mm reach a lot (in the zoo, for instance), so I'd rather have an update with that same reach.

10. Szeph el raton

The first one: yes. Thing is, the first year I had my 350D I used the kit lens (not comparable quality-wise, but with the same 17-55mm reach). It was fine, but when I got the 17-85mm, I really enjoyed the larger reach, without having to switch lenses (I'm a bit lazy when it comes to that). The second one seems really nice, but I have an old 70-300 of which I use the 200-300mm reach a lot (in the zoo, for instance), so I'd rather have an update with that same reach.
    I'm considering to replace my Tamron SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di II LD IF (yeah, we get it, they know the alphabet) as the noise from the old-school AF drive makes me go insane, it is not exactly subtle. It's a bit sad because except for that, it's a really great lens with good image quality, especially considering the dirt cheap price. USM + IS makes me drool but I'm not sure if I could sacrifice the f/2.8 for the 30mm more reach (besides that I have the 85mm f/1.8) as I'm one of the fetishists who nearly always shoot wide open.

11. il ciclista

picked up a flash bracket, another wireless receiver, and a small beauty dish today. I can't wait to get some shots in.

Szeph, I was actually thinking of getting that lens or the sigma 50-150 for my next lens. How does it do at the 50 end of things?

12. stu00a

stu00a Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Nikon D300, 16-85mm, SB-800 Speedlight

practicing and learning in progress!

13. Szeph el raton

Szeph, I was actually thinking of getting that lens or the sigma 50-150 for my next lens. How does it do at the 50 end of things?
    I think quite good. If you want I can do some comparison shots with it and the Canon 50mm f/1.4 when I get home tonight.

Nikon D300, 16-85mm, SB-800 Speedlight

practicing and learning in progress!

A curious question. What effect has the flash on that picture? I'd guess the distance is too far to see any effects of illuminating the scene with the flash.

14. il ciclista

That would be awesome Szeph.

Also I was wondering how a flash could have an effect on something so far away.

15. Crane's

Crane's Well-Known Member

That would be awesome Szeph. Also I was wondering how a flash could have an effect on something so far away.
    It's the down and dirty way to get enough shutter speed for a handheld shot in auto mode. Then it's a quick fix in PS to get something worthwhile. I'll do this when I'm chasing storms and have no time to setup a tripod or set the manual controls in weird light conditions. Now with that said the EXIF data says the shot above was made at f8 1/15 second in aperture priority mode. I have no idea why the flash was used as well. LOL.

16. dcg

dcg Well-Known Member

Too late...
    Hey, congrats on finally pulling the trigger! My 20D and I are jealous.

17. NOBD

NOBD Well-Known Member

Hey, congrats on finally pulling the trigger! Me and my 20D are jealous.
    Thanks. I would have liked one of those a few years ago. The swivel screen (?) is great, and huge compared with the 350D. [​IMG]

18. Kas

Kas Well-Known Member

I'm looking into getting a second-hand Nikon d700 and see them advertised for around 800-1200 euro. A new one would be about 2200 euro. What's a good price for it? To be honest, I'm looking for any Nikon full-frame, but the D3s and D3x are both over 4k, which is a little out of my budget.

19. stu00a

stu00a Well-Known Member

It's the down and dirty way to get enough shutter speed for a handheld shot in auto mode. Then it's a quick fix in PS to get something worthwhile. I'll do this when I'm chasing storms and have no time to setup a tripod or set the manual controls in weird light conditions.

Now with that said the EXIF data says the shot above was made at f8 1/15 second in aperture priority mode. I have no idea why the flash was used as well. LOL.

I couldn't get the shutter speed and I used slowsink mode.

20. mjHession

The second one seems really nice, but I have an old 70-300 of which I use the 200-300mm reach a lot (in the zoo, for instance), so I'd rather have an update with that same reach.

For a cheap upgrade I highly recommend an old 100-300 f/5.6L. They can be had anywhere from $250 - $450, I got mine for $350 I think. While the AF is not nearly as fast as USM, and f/5.6 is slower then ideal, the optics are super sharp L quality. I mostly use primes on the telephoto end (200 2.8, 300 2.8, & 400 5.6) and my usual walk around lens is a tamron 28-75 2.8. But I still pull on my 100-300L when I want to bring just one tele lens somewhere (like the zoo).

They are somewhat hard to find, but occasionally they pop up here. That's where I got mine.