1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Post your photography skills! (self-gloss)

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by JetBlast, Jan 9, 2007.

1. il ciclista

il ciclista Well-Known Member

Thanks for the kind words NOBD, I'm kind of obsessed with food...I guess I never evolved enough to stop thinking about it haha you are the king of macro! It makes me jealous to think how well you could adapt that view you have to food. What lenses are you using for your macro shots?( Like the insects) you make them look dream like its an unique approach

Honestly I only come to this forum for this thread and a design thread anymore. I feel a bit ridiculous critiquing men in their clothes lol

Last edited: Nov 2, 2012
  2. NOBD

NOBD Well-Known Member

: ) Well, that's because it is ridiculous. But fun too : ).

I use a Canon 100mm 1:2.8 USM. Unfortunately, the old one without IS.

Here's an apple :)

[​IMG]

Not a great one, but good idea to do more food shots.

3. il ciclista

I think it'd be cool to do a whole series on textures like that.

I just stopped looking at it because its just not my style I do post a little on Sufu denim but hardly ever . They're generally more laid back too. The 100 2.8 is a nice lens!

4. Crane's

Crane's Well-Known Member

I know I have a 100mm 1:1 macro lens for the Minoltas somewhere. Two of my zooms that I use all the time are macro capable but they don't come anywhere close to 1:1. One is 1:4 and the other is 1:2.8

I suppose if you really wanted to go macro a good bellows set or microscope mount would be pretty wild.

More endless possibilities...

5. FidelCashflow

FidelCashflow Well-Known Member

I saw the picture first and my reaction was "oh god - what is this" - DT's have ruined my innocence :embar:

1 person likes this.
  6. il ciclista

Yes I was thinking of asking for some extension tubes for Christmas . A lens baby would be nice too ;) has anyone tried the 80mm they make? It looks tack sharp.

Fidel that's hilarious haha what is DTs or do I want to know lol

7. FidelCashflow

FidelCashflow Well-Known Member

The dumb threads section of SF - there are some epic posts in there - just don't check them at work.

8. Crane's

I have no experience with a lens baby but I do own the Rokkor 35mm f2.8 tilt shift lens which does the same thing with a twist. Not only can you tilt it you can also curve the focal plane around an object. The tilt shift is great for maintaining perspective when shooting buildings and other tall structures. Of course you can use the lens to do the opposite too. You'll have fun with it if you get it.

As a side note one of the reasons why I want to adapt my old lenses to a digital body is heavily influenced because I own the 35mm tilt shift VFC lens and the 24mm VFC. I want to really play with these two lenses but "playing" in film gets really expensive fast not to mention without instant feedback it means a lot of note taking.

9. il ciclista

Yep, that's one reason I got it too because I couldn't afford the film for my good lenses. Plus I didn't have many digital lenses and canon fd lenses are cheap in comparison . I don't do much with fast moving subjects so it works out well. I think you'll enjoy the adapter as it'll make your lens selection probably open up quite a bit. It's interesting to see how the lens behaves on a digital body too.

10. Crane's

Open up lens selection would be an understatement. Some of the lenses I have for the Minolta system are 24mm VFC, 35mm tilt shift VFC, 50mm f1.2, f1.4, f 1.7, 58mm f1.2, f1.4, 85mm varisoft, 85mm f1.7, 28-85mm macro zoom, 35-70mm macro zoom, 135mm f2, 200mm f2.8, 500mm f8....

I have a lot of MC and MD glass but I also own 5 working Minolta bodies as well. I'm always on the lookout for bodies and lenses and some of this stuff has been gotten for dirt cheap. Last week I picked up an XG7 body with a 50mm 1.7 lens, a 35-70mm macro zoom and a working flash for 20 whole dollars in a junk shop. I'll do that all day long.

11. il ciclista

yes, I love how people think anything film is junk, so we can get it cheap :)

some from a hike today, taken with a kit lens

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 3, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  12. NOBD

NOBD Well-Known Member

13. il ciclista

14. Crane's

Bodies yes, but some of the good old glass is skyrocketing.

15. Szeph el raton

Szeph el raton Well-Known Member

Some old stuff is still pricy and sometimes it's borderline crazy. I try to get a waist level finder for my Mamiya 645 1000s. While I can get a Mamiya 645 with the 80 2.8, the wlf and one film insert for 175 - 250 €, the wlf alone sells for 129 €. Madness if you consider that it's just a flip up box to shade the viewfinder with a flip up magnifying glass in it. Will probably build one myself from cardboard.

Also most interesting rangefinders are quite expensive, considering the age and market. The same is true for good glass, I'd say it's because you can adapt it to m4/3 and Nex.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2012
  16. il ciclista

True, some glass is still expensive because it was always expensive or they're rare (canon 35mm f2 chrome nose.) The ones that are common like the 50 1.4 which are still very sharp and contrasty don't go for much these days. I got mine for free at a camera store I worked at (they just didn't want it or to trouble themselves with even pricing it for sell)

17. thatoneguy

thatoneguy Well-Known Member

black dog, black film
    [​IMG]

18. Crane's

I was in another junk shop yesterday and one of the vendors there overheard me asking the sales staff about camera gear. She came over and started telling me what she had. Next week I'll be looking at a bunch of bodies and glass from Minolta, Nikon, Canon and who knows what else. Perhaps I'll get lucky and find a Leica M3 body and glass. LOL!

19. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Well-Known Member

In the market for a wide Nikon-compatible lens <28mm if anyone's selling :)

Doesn't need to be recent.

20. Crane's

I'll let you know what I come up with Nikon wise.