1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Post your photography skills! (self-gloss)

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by JetBlast, Jan 9, 2007.

1. Crane's

Crane's Well-Known Member

Yep, but that's the way it is during a live show. Now if I could have staged some shots that would be a whole different ballgame.

2. trader

trader Well-Known Member

thanks. if you thought that was bad, you should've seen all the shoes his people provided for him. very pointy, very square-toed :uhoh: definitely not SF approved

Last edited: Oct 21, 2011
  3. trader

trader Well-Known Member

hey cranes. do you shoot any digital or is it all film? if you're shooting events that's gonna be a lot of rolls of film!

4. il ciclista

il ciclista Well-Known Member

I think he's shooting digital in this instance. (i could be wrong though but those images look digital)

5. NOBD

NOBD Well-Known Member

Graphic design, but not much lately. My heart is in it[COLOR=ff0000]*[/COLOR] (like in photography, but graphic design came first), but I don't like to do it as a routine job with strict deadlines et cetera. I don't mind that for my other work (in the language field), but I do for "creative" work. I'm rather "style-steady" (i.e. stubborn :)) too when it comes to graphic design—I prefer sober designs (think Tschichold), so that only works if a client likes that as well.

([COLOR=ff0000]*[/COLOR]I hate it that that smiley f*cks up the line leading.)

Last edited: Oct 22, 2011
  6. Crane's

Crane's Well-Known Member

Def digital. I use film for special projects or by request.

Heading back out there for a couple of hours this afternoon for another event. Gonna be a nice day and should be a lot of fun again. I really need more jobs like these....

7. il ciclista

oh yeah he was the first designer I ever did a report on, I like his stuff. I am really draw to Paula Scher right now with her old typefaces brought back, I really love older type verses all the stuff you find on like dafont.com Do you have a portfolio to look at?

8. NOBD

NOBD Well-Known Member

I'm probably the last person in the world without a website or blog... I have a physical portfolio with printed designs. My old designs are in QuarkXPress format and I have never bothered to make pdf's or something "web presentable" of them.

9. NOBD

NOBD Well-Known Member

10. il ciclista

nice perspective, was this under a glass?

11. NOBD

NOBD Well-Known Member

Thanks. It sat on a window.

12. Szeph el raton

Szeph el raton Well-Known Member

Was walking around a bit while waiting for my gf to arrive. Was somewhat foggy.

[​IMG]

13. NOBD

NOBD Well-Known Member

^
    Nice. No tricks?

14. A Y

A Y Well-Known Member

Holy crap, Ed. I didn't realize how many pictures you posted. Anyway, a general comment: I think one thing that could really improve your photos is to make it clear what the subject is. In many of them, there are lots of things in the picture, but it's not clear what we should be looking at. If you want to put a lot of stuff in a photo, that's OK, too, but make sure that the relationship between all of the objects is crystal clear.

There are lots of ways to do this: exposure (make sure the main subject is exposed correctly, and manipulate the exposure to minimize the presence of the other elements), focus (main thing in focus, other blurred out), composition (isolate the thing you want to photograph, or arrange things so that all things lead to the main thing).

[​IMG]

I think the composition has the potential to be interesting, but there are too many things to catch the eye. For example, there are many lit candles, some out of focus, and others in focus, but the one unique element --- the cross --- is out of focus. I know it's dark, and you probably didn't have a tripod, but I wonder if a deeper depth of field (higher f/stop number) would have helped this.

[​IMG]

This one has interesting lighting, but again I'm not sure what the subject is. Perhaps another angle, or doing something with the exposure might have helped.

[​IMG]

Same deal with the picture of the candles: two white chairs stand out, but the focusing point seems to contradict what we think the subject should be. I like the beam of light coming through also, and perhaps the picture could have been recomposed to make that the main subject of the picture.

Anyway, my comments on the other pics are about the same, and hope they're somewhat helpful. The main point is to try to make clearer what you want as your main subject. Hope you keep it up!

15. Szeph el raton

No digital editing except slight sharpening and a hint of S curve. Approximately 10 p.m., fog, bridge. 30 sec at f/16.

I'm still on the fence about the barrel distortion. It doesn't take away from the picture but a friend says I should iron the horizon flat. Perhaps I'll go there again and also bring the 17-40 L, it should be optically better at such a wide angle than the 24-105 L. I also forgot to deactivate the IS even though I was using a tripod.

16. NOBD

NOBD Well-Known Member

Did you shoot it in RAW? Lens correction might fix the barrel distortion. I like it anyway.

17. Szeph el raton

Always do. I one-click fixed it but personally I didn't see a real improvement as I don't mind it in this one. But happy you like it anyway.

18. Kaplan

Kaplan Well-Known Member

n00b question: I've seen this recommended before, but why is it you should do that?

19. Szeph el raton

I can't judge by my own experience but only by what I've read (I'm a theory guy, before I try something practical I spend hours to understand the background). When hand-holding the camera, the IS is supposed to move the glass element in the lens to counter-adjust the tiny movements you do while the shutter is open. When you have the camera on a (solid, fitting) tripod there is no camera movement and therefore all the IS can do is decrease sharpness by moving the glass element when it actually shouldn't.

I don't know if you can see this in the web-sized picture, letter size or only in 100% magnification but I prefer to be on the save side by deactivating it.

The reason you should turn your camera off before changing lenses is related to that. If the IS is active when you take the lens off (it also stabilizes your viewfinder, not only while you push the shutter button), it does not go into the default position and therefore might move around in the lens while it is not in the camera. If this is bad for the lens? Don't know. Do I want to find out? Hell no.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  20. NOBD

NOBD Well-Known Member

I think the new generation IS lenses somehow detect that you're using a tripod, so you don't have to manually switch IS off.