1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Portland, Oregon?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by mmhollis, Jul 25, 2008.

1. mmhollis

mmhollis Well-Known Member

Anyone with any recommendations on places to go in Portland? I know there is a budding culinary scene there, I've also heard about some good clothing stores any suggestions for me? Particularly any places where I could possibly find good Japanese brands?

2. Xericx

Xericx Well-Known Member

I like Wildwood. Good, fresh regional products (you'll hear this alot in Portland). Unlike other spots, its been around quite a while.

Andina in the Pearl (Peruvian) is also very good. There are so many good restaurants there, its hard to choose.

For a nice happy hour, go to the Portland City Grill. Great 360 degree view and nice drinks. The food, not so much though but its passable.

3. Baron

Baron Well-Known Member

I had a great memorably excellent meal at Wildwood about 10 (or more) years ago.

4. Get Smart

Get Smart Well-Known Member

all my vegan friends love Portland since it's the "Vegan capital of America"....complete with Vegan mall and vegan strip clubs

5. mmhollis

HAHA, vegan strip clubs! LOL

6. Baron

Baron Well-Known Member

all my vegan friends love Portland since it's the "Vegan capital of America"....complete with Vegan mall and vegan strip clubs

I forgot about that - Portland has awesome strip clubs, and I don't even like strip clubs. I was there two years ago with a big group of dudes I know from high school and we ended up at a strip club called Union Jacks. The girls were so freaking cute, in a suicide girl kinda way. And it was full nudity, with a full bar, and the girls were hanging out with us between their turns on stage, and because there was no lap dancing, they were just hanging out with us for free. It was weird. I also got the impression that the bar was run by Russian gangsters.

7. Xericx

Xericx Well-Known Member

I forgot about that - Portland has awesome strip clubs, and I don't even like strip clubs. I was there two years ago with a big group of dudes I know from high school and we ended up at a strip club called Union Jacks. The girls were so freaking cute, in a suicide girl kinda way. And it was full nudity, with a full bar, and the girls were hanging out with us between their turns on stage, and because there was no lap dancing, they were just hanging out with us for free. It was weird. I also got the impression that the bar was run by Russian gangsters.

The Acropolis is a fun strip club. They have $5 steaks, cheap beer and interesting strippers. They even have a 2lb burger for $8. Filet Mignon (using that term loosely) for 10 bucks WITH a salad bar (yeah).

8. Xericx

Xericx Well-Known Member

I visited there the other weekend, the nightlife in Portland is fantastic. Good times all around. Most of the nightlife centers around 2nd around Burnside...lots of crowded bars. Its more mellow in the Pearl district, which is good too. More upscale.

9. mmhollis

I can't wait to go to Portland, although should I go to a strip club I'm a bit concerned about all the descriptions of the strippers being described as "interesting."

10. hossoso

hossoso Well-Known Member

My favorite strip club in Portland is the Yankee Clipper. All hot punk rock girls and good music. Plus you can smoke and drink which automatically makes it better than any place in Seattle. I drink at the China Tunnel or Hung Far Lo. User member Blake has a clothing store in PDX. www.loveblake.com he carries lots of labels, some are likely japanese.

11. jleeo225

jleeo225 Well-Known Member

As for the food scene, +1 on Wildwood and Andina. Also try Blue Hour, which is in the Pearl District. As for as good Japanese branded clothing, I think you will need to go further north to Seattle or Vancouver, BC for that.

12. Xericx

Xericx Well-Known Member

although not Japanese, The Adidas Original store in the Pearl district is quite nice. Your best bet for higher-end/unique/imported men's clothing would be Mario's. There are probably some boutiques for jeans, etc., over on Hawthorne...not sure if there's really anything downtown.

Actually you know what, there are some shoe stores around Chinatown that I recall carried some Japanese brands.

13. injung

injung Well-Known Member

If you hit up the Saks Fifth Avenue when they're having a big sale, you can get some great deals - picked up a Zegna suit for $350 when I was there last time and saw brioni and corneliani shirts for ~70 bucks. And here's the kicker - NO SALES TAX.

14. jakejake

jakejake Well-Known Member

If you hit up the Saks Fifth Avenue when they're having a big sale, you can get some great deals - picked up a Zegna suit for $350 when I was there last time and saw brioni and corneliani shirts for ~70 bucks. And here's the kicker - NO SALES TAX.

Do you know what time of the year they have this sale?

15. Xericx

Xericx Well-Known Member

16. The Wayfarer

The Wayfarer Well-Known Member

Check out Le Pigeon when dining in Portland. Headed by chef Gabriel Rucker, Le Pigeon is creating a pretty respectable name for itself in the food community. I had sweetbreads, beef cheek, and apricot-bacon cornbread with maple ice cream for dessert.

17. Xericx

Xericx Well-Known Member

at Craft in LA, I had Maple BACON ice cream. The bacon ruined the experience.

I hear Pok Pok is supposed to be some really good Thai food. Supposedly Apizza scholls is supposed to be really really really good Pizza.

I have a list of restaurants to try everytime I go, but they are so numerous it stops me.

Oh yeah, I love burgerville (fast food) for their Walla Walla onion rings, their "spread" and their great milkshakes.

18. imatlas

imatlas Well-Known Member

The Acropolis is a fun strip club. They have $5 steaks, cheap beer and interesting strippers. They even have a 2lb burger for $8. Filet Mignon (using that term loosely) for 10 bucks WITH a salad bar (yeah).

OMG that place is still there? I got 86'd from that place around 1989 or so for getting too grabby with one of the girls. A couple of years later one of my ex's worked there for a while.

Good times!

19. injung

injung Well-Known Member

Do you know what time of the year they have this sale?

They always have one at the end of the year for christmas/new year's. As for other times I'm guessing it's somewhat random - I was just there on vacation the week of July 14th when I got the suit (they had racks of stuff for 50% off lowest marked price)

20. Xericx

Xericx Well-Known Member

its at a bunch of saks, i got a bunch of cool stuff at their vegas store in January that was "take an additional 50% off".

i had to pay sales tax though.