1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Porsche Cayman S vs. Boxster S?

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Soph, Nov 19, 2006.

1. Soph

Soph Well-Known Member

I was reading one of the car magazines and they were ripping on the Cayman saying the Boxster S was the best deal for the money. Something along the lines that the Cayman is essentially a Boxster S Coupe anyway. Conversely a modified Cayman S being superior to the Trad 911 on another.

2. SoCal2NYC

SoCal2NYC Well-Known Member

3. kronik

kronik Well-Known Member

Penis or vagina?

This is .. especially funny coming from SoCal.

4. farfisa23

farfisa23 Well-Known Member

I came this close ... to buying a White Cayman S a few weeks ago. For the money, I'd say Cayman S. It drives like a charm and is a great deal. In my opinion, you need two options - the autostick (I live in LA and a manual in rush hour traffic gets tiring) and the Chrono Package with the Sport mode. Should be a tad under 60k

I don't think it is a watered down 911 at all, two different cars and mind sets.

That said, I love the new Boxster S and if I need a two seater ragtop, it takes the crown, especially since the new Audi TTs are vastly over priced.

5. Brian278

Brian278 Well-Known Member

If you go to the track regularly or take a winding road to work in the morning, there is no question here. But if you live in an area that permits top-down driving most of the year, there might be a dilemma. One of the best memories in my relatively short life is the December when I was 16 and my dad had shoulder surgery and had to swap his MR2 Spyder with my car. It was 65 degrees and sunny every day for a month. I'm an enthusiast, but I'd buy the Boxster S because where I live I can put the top down at night year round. Especially since they upgraded the engine to the same as the Cayman S, I think don't the performance difference is huge enough to buy a car that small in that doesn't have a retractable top when I live here. And I doubt you'd be disappointed with the handling of the Boxster S, which is still phenomenal. Don't under any circumstances get an automatic in either car.

6. Mute

Mute Well-Known Member

No contest. The Cayman is a better drive.

7. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Well-Known Member

Both great cars but Cayman is faster and better handling in my test drive experience.

8. JetBlast

JetBlast Well-Known Member

Cayman, one of the air traffic controllers here owns one. What a beautiful car. [​IMG] See, it even attracts beautiful women. Added plus. JB

9. jamesbond

jamesbond Well-Known Member

The new Lotus 2-eleven will shit on both those cars. I know it wasnt in the question but for the same price I know what i would buy.

10. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Well-Known Member

No windshield, no thanks. [​IMG]

11. cam_pearson

cam_pearson Active Member

boxster with a roof for another 30k here..?

boxster...?

porsche..?

12. Hard2Fit

Hard2Fit Well-Known Member

13. whallyden

whallyden Well-Known Member

14. Brian278

Brian278 Well-Known Member

I hate to be that guy in the thread, but...neither

Z4 M Content:

Available in both coupe and vert forms. If you like to rent, BMW is offering some sweetheart lease deals right now:

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...0SJhnnjOY1fw==

The Z4 isn't in the same class with either the Boxster or Cayman in terms of handling and balance. No matter what kind of deals their offering on them (because they aren't selling as well as they would like?), that doesn't move the engine just in front of the rear axle.

15. DNW

DNW Well-Known Member

The Z4 isn't in the same class with either the Boxster or Cayman in terms of handling and balance. No matter what kind of deals their offering on them (because they aren't selling as well as they would like?), that doesn't move the engine just in front of the rear axle.

Are you serious? Have you driven either the Z4 3.0i or the Z4 M?

16. cam_pearson

the Z4 M is enough for me to give up women.. I like it's handling, styling, the coupe really turns me on, I love BMW and would choose over Porsche anyday.. the M looks alot better in my opinion, besides, too many Porsche boxters..

17. Serg

Serg Well-Known Member

i'll go against the grain here and say boxster, if only because the cayman is just a poor man's 911, while the boxster has it's own style. i also like the looks of the boxster with the optional removeable hard top.
    If you think the cayman is the poor mans 911 then you don't understand the cars enough. Add a LSD, and equivalent tires to the cayman s and it will out handle the similar priced 911 on a any track. The BMW z4m may not have the same handling but it has alot of easy power potential if that is what your looking for.

18. dtmt

dtmt Well-Known Member

Boxster.

For one it is cheaper. You can always put a hardtop on the Boxster, but you can never open the roof of a Cayman.

Let me put it this way: I'd get more enjoyment driving on a winding road with the top down, the wind in my hair, the smell of the trees around me, the sound of the engine from the outside, the open view all around me, than obsessing about how the coupe version is 1.2 seconds faster around some track I'll probably never go to.

19. briancl

briancl Well-Known Member

Boxster.

For one it is cheaper. You can always put a hardtop on the Boxster, but you can never open the roof of a Cayman.

Let me put it this way: I'd get more enjoyment driving on a winding road with the top down, the wind in my hair, the smell of the trees around me, the sound of the engine from the outside, the open view all around me, than obsessing about how the coupe version is 1.2 seconds faster around some track I'll probably never go to.

Why spend that kind of money on a sports car if you aren't taking it to the track?

20. cam_pearson

to be honest.. I don't know much about Porsche, but as far as I can tell, they seem to be purchased by people who can't afford the Carerra, I am by no means an expert, but that's the way I see it also.. In my opinion, I'd rather by a race ready 911 (with free optional roll-cage and fire extinguisher) over a Cayman, just because the Cayman looks so well, gay..

But don't get infuriated, It's just the opinion of a mere pleb!