1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Poor man's watch thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SirGrotius, Feb 4, 2011.

1. otc

otc Well-Known Member

I actually think it is kind of nice that they tick off exact, precise seconds. There may be some that sweep, but I think of it as more of a feature.

The black mako that I just bought doesn't sweep--it goes through enough steps that I can clearly see that it is ticking along--but not once a second, more like 3-4 which means if you are trying to count off 8 seconds, you have to watch for it to pass 8 tick marks on the face rather than just count off 8 ticks.

2. TuckerSon

TuckerSon Active Member

Nice watch! Which model is it exactly?

3. grendel

grendel Well-Known Member

This came yesterday.... Probably gonna put it on a leather band at some point

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. akatsuki

akatsuki Well-Known Member

Just bought a Seagull M177S and an M186S... Will post pics when they arrive. Must resist the 1963 re-issue.

5. djwoblely

djwoblely Well-Known Member

6. 4utomattic

4utomattic Active Member

I have a Raymond Weil Freelancer and I am thinking about getting the strap changed from metal to leather, anyone have any colour suggestions? I was not sure if this belonged in the p0rn thread or here. Sorry for the crappy pic, it's the best I could get out of my iPhone.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
  7. 4utomattic

4utomattic Active Member

Double post. Please delete.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
  8. dieselman89

dieselman89 Well-Known Member

Sorry to bounce back, but I have some concerns with this Seiko SNK807K2 I just purchase. So I got a new one that had been working for a couple of days, and then I didn't wear the watch for 2 days and it completely lost track of the day and time. Is this a common problem with the SNK807K2?

Also, I saw this picture with a leather strap. Do y'all think you could wear this watch with suit and tie with a leather strap?

9. cioni2k

cioni2k Well-Known Member

There is nothing wrong with your watch; you must be used to owning Quartz watches with a battery. Your Seiko has an Automatic watch movement (rather than a Quartz) which is powered by kinetic movement. If you turn your watch over, (assuming the case back is clear), you will see a rotor that rotates inside the watch movement. This rotor charges your watch through kinetic motion. Once powered/charged, your watch can typically hold a charge in its reserve for 1-2 days. I'm not sure about your particular model, but you may also be able to manually wind the crown to power the watch as well. Your best bet is to ensure you move the watch around a bit every day or so if it sits idle, or purchase a watch winder to keep it moving every so often automatically when not worn. Automatic movements are largely considered by watch enthusiasts to be superior to Quartz watches, so.. nice choice with the Seiko!

10. dieselman89

dieselman89 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the explanation. I am new to watches but have suddenly become fascinated by them. Also, thanks for the compliment. I'm sure there are hundreds of explanations on here, but why is a Auto superior to Quartz, if quartz requires no movement..

11. Gattopardo

Gattopardo Active Member

Well, it depends on what sense of "superior" you mean. If you want a watch that you can "set and forget" and that will keep reasonable accuracy over a long period of time, then quartz may well suit your preferences better.

The reason that people who are into watches rate mechanical timepieces (including both automatic and manual-wind watches) higher than electronic quartz watches is that the former category can represent a much higher level of craftsmanship than the latter. Creating a watch that keeps reasonably accurate time using only spring tension (especially if it includes complications like a calendar, chronograph, moon phase, etc.) involves complex design and precision engineering. Many watch enthusiasts show their appreciation for such craftsmanship by wearing little mechanical marvels on their wrists, even though the mobile phones in their pockets (or a $10 Casio bought at a drugstore) will keep more accurate time.

12. cioni2k

cioni2k Well-Known Member

Perfect explanation!

Mechanical/Automatic movements are a thing of beauty!

Exhibit A (A. Lange & Sohne mechanical movement)

[​IMG]

13. infinittii

infinittii Member

14. bryce007

bryce007 New Member

15. okay.w0w

okay.w0w Well-Known Member

picked these up. i couldn't be happier. my GF was pissed thinking i spent another couple grand on watches lol.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 26, 2012
  16. djwoblely

djwoblely Well-Known Member

@okay.w0w
    Are those Getat watches? Seagull movement? Can you elaborate on the quality and shipping time?

17. sochumpy

sochumpy Well-Known Member

I really love this, do you have a link?

18. tv2177

tv2177 Well-Known Member

ordered a Blue Orient Ray. Will be arriving on Wednesday, can't wait. I will post some pics!

19. okay.w0w

okay.w0w Well-Known Member

i got them from jacksontse.com. i'm pretty sure all these hong kong based companies get them from the same manufacturer though. took about 3 weeks from when i ordered for them to come. quality is probably not the best but i really don't think you can go wrong for the price. so far i've gotten plenty of compliments and people are shocked when i tell them how much i spent.

20. Scrounger

Scrounger Well-Known Member

Timequestwatches.com carries Junkers. For a budget alternative you could try the KC1568 from Kenneth Cole, available at Amazon.

1 person likes this.