1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Poor man's watch thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SirGrotius, Feb 4, 2011.

1. djwoblely

djwoblely Well-Known Member

@XKxRome0ox, I believe I got the strap at Target store. It's hit or miss with target since some stores don't carry watch straps.

@deveandepot1, The lug width is 18mm for straps, and the case diameter is pretty small 39mm w/ crown 36mm w/o crown. The watch is 9mm thick. I do like the size of this watch as it doesn't feel like a huge wrist weight.

2. jabster410

jabster410 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

bought this from the cladmen sale. anyone have any experience with this brand?

3. Ace_Face

Ace_Face Well-Known Member

This watch caught my eye in the Orvis catalog when it first came out. Kind of a Tag Heuer Monaco homage. Wouldn't buy at $249, but considering it now that it is being offered for just over $100. Thoughts?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  4. ter1413

ter1413 Well-Known Member

not crazy about it t all.......
    i asked myself..."self, where/when would i wear that?"

5. discreteuniverse

discreteuniverse Well-Known Member

Been using this one for daily wear. I need to pick up a nice dress watch, though.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  6. HLow

HLow Well-Known Member

Posts like these make my wallet cry...

7. matsui

matsui Well-Known Member

Saw this one online, sells for 249EUR, 40mm quartz. Anybody know anything regarding Junkers quality? Or is the name fitting?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  8. cioni2k

cioni2k Well-Known Member

I think the watches look great but I cant get past the name. Is it pronounced "Junkers"? or differently?

9. matsui

matsui Well-Known Member

I believe the J is pronounced like a Y, like "yoonkers"

10. mburer

mburer Well-Known Member

Thanks, very happy with it!
    I'm actually looking for a watch in this price range($500-$600)

Does anyone have any good suggestions?

11. Matto ELITE

Matto ELITE Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Junkers is German, therefore the J is pronounced as a Y, names after Hugo Junkers. Above is the Junkers Ju-88, which was a multi-role bomber for the German Luftwaffe in WW2. He was a German Engineer that died in the mid 30's, and wasn't affiliated with the Nazi's in any way.

12. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Well-Known Member

How do your pronounce "blucher?"

13. dieselman89

dieselman89 Well-Known Member

Agree. I was thinking I read the . point wrong.

14. thevidon

thevidon New Member

I just picked up a new Orient Mako in orange. See what you think:

[​IMG]

15. djwoblely

djwoblely Well-Known Member

@thevidon
    How is that rubber strap on that mako?

16. thevidon

thevidon New Member

The strap is for bigger wrists. I am all the way down on the last hole. It looks nice, but I had to trim the end down because it was just too long.

17. otc

otc Well-Known Member

I like this. But I think I am also in the minority of people on SF who prefer quartz watches. Unless you have only one watch that you wear, automatics just seem kind of silly since quartz watches are far more accurate, provide more design options, are pretty much shock proof, and run for years without intervention. I'm not going to get a winder...because that seems equally silly. Can't deny the coolness of completely mechanical watches with several complications though...(but I can't deny the coolness of vacuum tubes either and you don't see me using them in my TV).

I think I even prefer manual watches since they can be so much slimmer and its not hard to remember to keep them wound (and if you own more than 2 watches, you are probably going to have to reset it every time you wear it just like an automatic).

18. Sander

Sander Well-Known Member

My brother has a Junkers watch. It's well made and well designed. Almost every time I see it, I envy it, until I realize that it's a quartz.

But if you don't mind the quartz aspect and the (rather) high price of about 200€, this is a good pick.

19. justinsmnz

justinsmnz Well-Known Member

I'm not very mechanically minded, so could someone explain why there aren't quartz watches with sweeping seconds?

Is it simply that it would use more electricity? If so, it seems like companies could simply add more/larger batteries and still produce decently sized watches (still smaller than most autos.)

20. Poindexter

Poindexter Well-Known Member

Justin, lots of quartz watches have second hands, but they don't 'sweep'. They increment a second at a time, tick, tick, tick. Dunno why.

Mech watch second hands don't actually sweep either. They increment 5 - 6 times a second, though, so they pretty much look like they sweep unless you got your nose stuck up to them. This is the frequency of reversal of the balance wheel, or likewise the frequency of incrementation of the escape wheel. There's probably a similar reason why the quartz movements increment once per second.