• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hey lads. I'm doing some travelling soon, going to Nepal, then Greece later on. Looking to buy a watch that isn't going to fall apart if I hit it against things and such, and look a bit tough if it gets scratched up. Now, before you say G-Shock, they're ugly, so no. I was thinking a Seiko Diver, I really like the look of this one. Can anyone comment on their reliability or offer an Alternative. Don't want to spend too much either, preferably under $200. It needs to be battery powered, I don't want to be mucking about with an auto movement when I'm half way up Everest. 42mm is also perfect.
Well, the one you posted is an automatic, but Sekio Automatics are quite reliable.

Isolation

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know why it's so important to look good when climbing mount Everest, but I think the seiko automatics like the one you linked are really good. I have a similar one and would recommend.

Trompe le Monde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
half way up everest isnt climbing and theres no "dinging" about, its just a leisurely walk up towards EBC

Isolation

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Then there's no reason why an automatic won't work right?

Hayward

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
An automatic might in fact be better if there are temperature extremes.

Foxhound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Hmm, I've just learned in the small amount of research that I've done that 99%(and all of the nice) Seiko Diving watches are Automatic. I'm just worried as it will be my only proper gauge of time. I don't want it to be losing time, but it will be on my wrist the entire time so it should be alright. Why would an automatic be better suited for tempreture extremes?

Hayward

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, there's the battery. Also a quartz crystal will oscillate at different rates at different temps. It'd still be much more accurate than an auto, but figure even the cheapest auto will vary like 15 secs per day. As far as reliability over a short period there's really no difference, especially if you keep the watch on.

Edited to add: in general I think the main factor for what you're undertaking will be the durability of the watch case. In which case a Seiko 007 should be fine.

Last edited:

dreamsburndown

Reaction score
This reply might be too late to be relevant to you but that model is a SNZG09J1. I should check this site more often.

I threw it on a Crown & Buckle NATO a while back... kind of a crappy photo but you know.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My latest kop...the Borealis Sea Hawk (apologies for the crappy cell phone photo):

BespokeBrooklyn

Reaction score
This reply might be too late to be relevant to you but that model is a SNZG09J1. I should check this site more often.

I threw it on a Crown & Buckle NATO a while back... kind of a crappy photo but you know.
That is a very nice-looking watch -- it looks much more solid and rich-looking than the other model I considered. Thanks for posting the pic.

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Apologies in advance, I haven't plowed through this thread in its entirety yet. I'm looking for a watch to take on my travels - so cheapish, waterproof and decent looking. I don't do any dangerous activities etc. I have a Seamaster and a Aquanaut that I normally wear whilst at home (town), but I'd be afraid of walking around urban holiday areas with a pricey watch. I have a cheapish Junghans that I like but is not really waterproof. I'm thinking either of a Seiko on a NATO strap or even a Swatch.

ErikJN

Reaction score
Try and find a Seiko SKX007, very good diver that looks good and is a workhorse.

+1. Use mine for the purpose you mention, it looks ace and can handle a real beating. Here in (well, just after being in) the desert, one of many habitats it's visited (and survived).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads