1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Poor man's watch thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SirGrotius, Feb 4, 2011.

1. cbfn

cbfn Well-Known Member

2. TheWraith

TheWraith Well-Known Member

It would, but I bet it does happen.

3. Jazzmenco

Jazzmenco Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    This one certainly qualifies as a PMW, got it for under $100.

1 person likes this.
  4. JLnoir

JLnoir Well-Known Member

Sorry I haven't been here in a few days but I got the strap at panatime

Last edited: Dec 16, 2015
  5. Jazzmenco

6. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

I've had a few from them - good and not so good. Beware of the plasticky shiny finishes, but their matte finished American gator numbers are really nice; great value.

You've been a bad, bad boy. I really like these.

7. Jmm722

Jmm722 Well-Known Member

The JR sale at Ashford? These watches are amazing for the prices they're being sold at. I'm thinking of grabbing another one.

8. Jazzmenco

Yes, great value. Funny how the prices vary on the same watch with different make-ups. The black and silver version is almost 3 times the price of this one.
    @mimo I have been even a worse boy, I got the same Baume & Mercier that @JLnoir copped. Hard to resist those prices.

9. rayfinkle

rayfinkle Active Member

Looking for some advice.

Short question: Are there any generally accepted rules for switching from a metal to a leather band? How about on this http://www.seiyajapan.com/collections/seiko/products/s-sarz003 ?

For those with more patience: Never worn watches but I've decided to start, so I'm looking for my first. I was looking to spend anything up to ~$750, but I've slowly backed down to $300 or less since I'm truly not sure of my taste yet. I've also decided I'd like an automatic and a leather band. Other than that, I'm just looking for something versatile and relatively simple. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

10. cbfn

cbfn Well-Known Member

Seiko SARB035 on a leather strap is pretty nice!

Last edited: Dec 17, 2015
  11. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

Most excellent, and I am deeply envious. I've been in a serious financial crisis for about six months now (job loss, court case, will win but they will make a point of dragging it out...) so I am living vicariously for now. And both of those were very much on my accessible kop list. When I get my dough I'm going to make up for it!

In the mean time, watching these great offers, skipping the charity auctions this year, and watching the SFBros' new swank, is a bittersweet pleasure. But keep it coming. Which Hampton did you pick up?

Last edited: Dec 17, 2015
  12. MrGimpy

MrGimpy Well-Known Member

Does anyone have experience with Certina?

I'm looking for a casual chrono. After lots of reflection I've decided that rather than yet another automatic, I would appreciate the lower cost (up front and recurring) and lack of maintenance of a quartz. The DS-2 Precidrive has caught my eye.

[​IMG]

13. Jazzmenco

14. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

Each to his own. I guess I'm a snob for mechanicals, and generally it's so easy to find a cheap mechanical watch that there seems no point in the quartz alternatives. But if you need a chronograph on a budget, then it makes more sense. Hard to find a mechanical chrono much within the $1k PMW budget, let alone a good one. Certina's one of the many Swatch-owned brands, positioned I think just below Tissot and Hamilton. I'm sure they're decent enough, and if you like it then why not? Shop around on prices: a quartz watch from a high-volume entry level brand should be easy to find at a good discount, and if not this exact model, then whatever it looked like last year.

Heck yes. They wear pretty big, especially on a bracelet, but if you're going to make a statement with a PMW, it's nice that you have a putative "$4k" brand to back it up when someone wants a closer look! Classic design, blue hands...can't go wrong. Congratulations my man.

15. RogerP

RogerP Well-Known Member

Congrats! How are you liking it? If it weren't for the colossally tanking Canadian dollar I would have kopped a second one by now.

16. Jazzmenco

Really like the feel and look. The only negative is the band is barely big enough (I have a larger than average wrist), I have it on the last hole. Great bang for the buck!
    My B&M should arrive next week, also a great value.
    Thank you gentlemen for the watch education.

1 person likes this.
  17. MrGimpy

MrGimpy Well-Known Member

I'm becoming less snobby as time passes; there's even a blended Scotch in my liquor cabinet at the moment. :lookaround:

The price of automatic chronos is definitely one factor pushing me toward a quartz. It would likely get a couple of days wear every week and the idea of setting the time before each wearing (as I currently do with my other more casual watch) doesn't appeal.

There's also the fact that the movement in this one sounds quite interesting--for a quartz, anyway. I've never had a high accuracy quartz so there's a novelty factor, too.

1 person likes this.
  18. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

Oh piss off!!!!

2 people like this.
  19. RogerP

RogerP Well-Known Member

Killer deal on those JRs.