1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Poor man's watch thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SirGrotius, Feb 4, 2011.

1. ErikW

ErikW Well-Known Member

Thank you sir! interestingly, the dial I think is actually white or perhaps silver, but highly reflective. In certain light it absolutely looks blue. I too am a bit bummed about hardlex, but it is very easy to buff out scratches on hardlex to make it look new.

It definitely not Panerai, ha. But it's a fairly thick and bulky watch 40mm x 13mm, so I wouldn't call it dainty by any means.

2. irbe

irbe Well-Known Member

Really good to know about hardlex. Maybe my next purchase. I meant blue second hand

1 person likes this.
  3. TheWraith

TheWraith Well-Known Member

:embar: thanks mimo :slayer:

4. Oli2012

Oli2012 Well-Known Member

The crown on my Orient Bambino has come loose and is stopping the day function from working.

Can this repair be done at an ordinary watch repair shop? Is it an expensive repair?

5. TheWraith

I'm not an expert, but I feel pretty sure it can be done. As to cost...I don't know. Ask Thomas Czibula in Sydney for a free quote.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2015
  6. ClassyCanuck

ClassyCanuck Well-Known Member

Quite possibly the best bang for your buck..... if you like divers of course.
    [​IMG]

4 people like this.
  7. Satmoche

Satmoche Well-Known Member

Which model is that please ?

8. stro

stro Active Member

seiko skx009 [​IMG] the pepsi-bezeled brother of seiko's skx007

9. Satmoche

Satmoche Well-Known Member

Cheers

10. losrockets

losrockets Well-Known Member

Just ordered the SARB033 through the Massdrop deal. First "nice" watch for me, a graduation present from my parents for finishing medical school next spring. Would love to supplement it with an affordable diver or flight watch, looking at the Orient Mako/Ray and the Skx007 for divers and Orient's flight watch. I like the specs and construction of the skx007/009 but I think they may be a bit too much watch for me day to day considering I have 6.5" wrists and will be in a shirt and tie most days of the week.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2015
  11. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

For a modest size (and price) in a pilot watch, look at the Seiko 5 Military. They're always around very cheap (well under $100), plenty of colours to choose from, and at 40mm are big enough to look like a pilot, but small enough to be worn by anyone. Here are some. I got one for my son and was immediately envious of it. He has the beige one on the woven strap, but for a daily wear, maybe the bracelet version is right for you?

2 people like this.
  12. TheWraith

^ Excellent options there.

13. Veremund

Veremund Well-Known Member

Mmmmmmm. Waaaaant.

14. ShawnBC

ShawnBC Well-Known Member

First of all, congratulations for (almost) finishing med school! If it's not indiscreet, what choice of practice have you decided on (to wear a shirt and tie most of the week)?

On to the original question - I understand you would like to own both styles - the diver and the flight - of watches to round up your collection, besides the SARB033? If so, I think the Orient flight is a very nice choice. Mimo's Seiko 5 suggestion is equally good, but I find the Orient flight (especially the blue dialed one, on light brown leather strap) is very eye-pleasing!

As for the diver, a SKX007/9 wouldn't hurt. If it doesn't fit under your shirt cuff, who cares? It could become your week-end watch, I'm sure it'd get plenty of use nonetheless!

Last edited: Sep 2, 2015
    2 people like this.
  15. losrockets

losrockets Well-Known Member

Appreciate the compliments! In most fields you wear a shirt and tie most of the week unless you're spending a lot of time in the OR/ER but I'm going to be a Psychiatrist so depending on the setting I'm in I may wear scrubs, a shirt/tie/white coat, or a suit/sportcoat to work. I may also get trained/boarded in Internal Medicine but I'm undecided as yet on that. To clarify, at this point I'm looking for one or the other, a diver or a flight, not necessarily both. I forgot about the Seiko 5 series, that's another affordable option while I figure out my tastes. Watches have never really been on my radar in the way nice shoes have so this is all new to me. A week-end/off work watch is actually a very good way to describe what I'm looking for. My current watch is a pretty dressy Citizen Eco Drive and I always feel it clashes with my more casual looks in a way that a diver or flight watch wouldn't. Thanks for all of the suggestions!

16. justridiculous

justridiculous Well-Known Member

I'm interested in purchasing a Hamilton Khaki. Is trying to get one for under $200 unreasonable?

17. Oli2012

Oli2012 Well-Known Member

How do you guys think a Seiko 007 would go with a suit?

I'm looking for something to fill the void before I get an Omega Seamaster/Planet Ocean (that could be a very long time...)

18. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

Personally I wouldn't wear any of those with a suit. Though today I'm wearing a pilot with a blazer, which is close in some books.

4 people like this.
  19. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Well-Known Member

As much as I love the SKX007, it would be improved exponentially if it had drilled lugs. :fu:

20. jayjules

jayjules Member

Hey Guys,
    Im looking for a nice dress watch in silver with a white face and black band. Any recommendations? Thanks