1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Poor man's watch thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SirGrotius, Feb 4, 2011.

1. TtownMD

TtownMD Well-Known Member

Like the grand duke strap.

2. DLJr

DLJr Well-Known Member

If you want it to be more casual, stay away from gator, even stamped calf. That's formal for a watch strap.

3. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Well-Known Member

I've got a Squale 50 Atmos and while it's definitely not the GMT that you are interested in, I will say Squale's watches are more interesting and visually appealing to me than Steinhart's. But after handling pieces from both, I think the Steinharts have better QC (and are very responsive to problems when they arise) and are heavier duty tool watches if you like that.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  4. Oli2012

Oli2012 Well-Known Member

I'd get the Grand Duke strap in dark brown. Dark brown is very versatile.

5. ShawnBC

ShawnBC Well-Known Member

TheWraith, beautiful Borealis! I love orange plongeur hands! Looks very rugged!

1 person likes this.
  6. Burzan

Burzan Well-Known Member

Guess I can join in, just found you guys here. I picked up the Bambino 2 from Massdrop a few months back with the white face and rose gold hands. I had been wanting one for so long and when I heard it was $99 on Massdrop with very reasonable shipping rates to Canada I jumped on it. I originally wanted the blue hands version and later did see Massdrop did that version like a week ago haha, oh well. My impatient nature got the best of me, I still love the version I got though it's a bit more formal than the blue hand version.

I hated the strap as I think most people do and cannot settle on something for it, so in the meantime I picked up a handful (probably 6-7) of nato straps to use since cheapestnato has a bunch actually in the 21mm lug width. Sadly the navy, which is my fav, was not so I went with 20mm.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am really leaning toward the Hirsch Terra strap in gold or maybe even the olive as my main strap replacement. I think going with a 22m and shaving a hair off is exactly what was done for this pic and it looks great on it.

Would love to hear any band suggestions you guys may have?

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  7. garland

garland Well-Known Member

Anyone have the Hirsch curved end leather band? I'm pretty curious about it.

8. TheWraith

TheWraith Well-Known Member

Thanks @ShawnBC. I'm enjoying wearing it the last couple days.

9. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

My Omega, albeit elderly and cheap, wears a Hirsch that cost less than $100 if I recall. It's a nice piece of American alligator and really gives a classy, expensive feel. My Longines also wears alligator, but a little thicker with contrast stitching that seems to work with it's slightly larger (40mm) case and chrono function. That one came from Panatime. If it's real croc, or better alligator, and has a nice soft, matte finish, then there's not much to tell between a $100 and a $400 strap - unless you really want to get picky on the exact scale pattern and whatnot. The big difference in price is normally about getting something made to order and/or hand stitched. I'm not saying that isn't worth it, especially on an expensive watch, but like many things it's a diminishing return. For me, cheapest real gator is a sweet spot of value. And nothing is more important than choosing the right colour, texture and shape for the watch and how you want to wear it.

I don't like the homage as a watch genre. Or at least, I don't choose to go there myself. But neither would I look down on Steinhart: as I understand it, their quality is solid and their prices very reasonable, so each to his own. As Wraith said, if you want a beater substitute for your Sub, or just will never spend that money on a "real" one but love the style, then why not? It's not a fake that is infringing an intellectual property right or trying to deceive - merely a derivative of a previous design, and in many ways, most watches are. Also, it's not a piece of crap pretending to have a history that isn't real cf. Stuhrling etc. So buy it and enjoy it.

My preference in the PMW world, rather than the homage, is to find something that only looks like itself and has its own design history. This is a good example - doesn't look like it wishes it were another watch. But of course, The Wraith has these and homages and the real deal big boy Rolexes and whatnot. Because The Wraith rocks.

Nice watch, but it's not that casual. Actually, I think it's most casual on its bracelet. In your shoes, I'd put this on a nice strap then consider keeping it as your dress watch and getting something more sporty for casual wear. A brown croc strap with contrast stitching will look nice, but I think be neither one thing nor another. I'd go properly dressy with a brown or burgundy alligator strap. If you really do want a compromise, then drop the croc: go brown calf (or buffalo, cordovan, whatever) with the contrast stitching, and make it all a little more laid back - though still fine with a suit.

3 people like this.
  10. Oli2012

Oli2012 Well-Known Member

I think it really depends on the person as to whether you can get away with wearing a dress watch casually. As a pencil necked geek / lawyer, wearing my Orient Bambino with a tshirt and jeans doesn't look out of place.

That said, for flexibility divers like the Orient Mako or Seiko 007 really win out.

11. ShawnBC

ShawnBC Well-Known Member

Mimo, I always enjoy reading your posts here and in the TWAT!

2 people like this.
  12. kimmo

kimmo Well-Known Member

Agree. For example, I ordered a couple of RIOS alligators for vintage and I'd say very good value on the slightly under 100€ range. Blue gator on Zenith as an example:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 29, 2015
    2 people like this.
  13. RogerP

RogerP Well-Known Member

Okay - not entirely sure where this one belongs. Probably straddles the line on cost, but more in keeping here than on the Rolex / Patek AP parade. Back in the day, the Daniel JeanRichard line provided some cool designs using generic movements at very attractive prices - at least used, or on the grey market. I owned a few and was very happy with them. Then, more recently, they dropped the "Daniel" from the brand name, introduced some in-house movements and attempted to move quite abruptly upscale. Not sure that worked out so well, as there are vastly more compelling alternatives in the $8-9k range. In any event, their offerings of late have included some attractive models, housing Sellita movements at more realistic price points. The Terrascope line retails somewhat optimisically in the $3k range, but are available brand new on the grey market for $1 to $1.3K, and used, south of $1k. Which is were I stumbled across this piece and grabbed it. Definitely an outlier for me in many respects - size (44mm - I rarely go over 42 and prefer 40 and under) aesthetics (contrasting bezels are not really my thing, but I love the brushed DLC here) and materials (I don't generally do rubber straps) - but sometime outliers have a strong appeal. I've been pretty tickled with it as another funky-cool casual piece that doesn't remotely replicate anything in my existing rotation. The case and dial work is very, VERY good - and this is a factor which carries more weight with me than "history" or brand recognition. And at around $1k, all I need from a movement is reliability and accuracy - polish and pedigree realistically have to take a back seat. And hey, you can spend waaaaay more coin for a watch with the same movement from brands with more snob appeal. It has certainly been accurate thus far (+3 to 4 sec / day), and given that this is a clone of ETA's excellent and proven 2892, I expect it will reliable going forward. As with most Panerai, the secret to making such a large watch comfortably wearable is the cushion shaped case and short lugs. Thus one actually wears smaller than, say, a 42mm Longines Legend Diver. There is noticeable mass to the piece, but it sits comfortably on my 7 1/2" or so wrist. Now pics. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6 people like this.
  14. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

What a fantastic kop! I've no experience with Jean Richard, though while looking for recommendations for someone else at this price, I saw a couple of them that I liked a lot. I think we share this attraction to the cushion case - your Longines comes to mind; my beaten up GUB is my only dip into the genre so far.

As you say, at $3k it seems just too close to a "proper" luxury watch with too much competition. But once it sneaks under the $1k PMW threshold, it looks like a hell of a lot of watch for the money. That is a really distinctive, modern, bold yet gorgeous thing. I am deeply envious!

(Edit: and now showing pictures of JR Terrascopes to my beloved for approval..)

(Edit 2: any chance of some pics from greater distance? I find it gives better perspective on how a watch looks size-wise, and your wrist is perhaps a shade larger than mine)

Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
    2 people like this.
  15. RogerP

RogerP Well-Known Member

Cheers Mimo. One of the neat things about the Terrascope line is that there are about a trillion different combinations of dial, case finish and strap / bracelet. Something for everyone. Additional pics below. I don't have anything from further back, but a google image search should yield enough to give you a number of different perspectives. [​IMG] [​IMG]

16. ErikW

ErikW Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Seiko Cocktail Time (SARB065) - early birthday present to myself. It came with a pretty hideous black patent leather band. I swapped it out for a Fluco Shell Cordovan (#8) strap. I need to up my strap game. Any suggestions/recommendations?

3 people like this.
  17. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's useful to see on you because I know your wrist size. I want to see one of your full length poses with this! Anyway, yes I've looked at a lot of them. Part of me is trying to stay with my decision not to buy any more PMWs and hold out for something "big" that I've always wanted, and in some ways this is a lot like a substitute for the PAM 572 or even Roger Dubuis Monegasque that are on my longer term wish list. But those are perhaps among too many on the list to ever be bought, I currently don't have any money, and actually I'm thinking that the Terrascope's styling is perfectly distinctive in its own right. Especially at 60-70% off RRP!

I rather like the green one. But then again I'm a notorious pervert.

Seems to me you've nailed it already. I confess that I've always found that watch, although pretty, just a little...girly? Perhaps too strong a word. But anyway, I think you've struck a perfect balance with the #8 shell: the thicker texture and un-tapered strap make it just a little bit tough and manly, while the sheen of the cordovan and the deep, warm colour, keep it just dressy enough not to look like a mismatch. I like this combo a lot!

18. RogerP

RogerP Well-Known Member

Mimo, if you can wear a 44mm Paneri, you can wear a Terrascope - no question. Best I can do today with my phone: [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  19. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

Perfect, thanks! Oh, and it looks perfect. :)

1 person likes this.
  20. irbe

irbe Well-Known Member

Amazing watch. I was looking at that before I got the Sarb035. Only thing that turned me away was the hardlex, but i heard it costly for seiko to make a dome in sapphire. Needless to say its a great looking watch, love the blue dial.