1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Poor man's watch thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SirGrotius, Feb 4, 2011.

1. TheWraith

TheWraith Well-Known Member

2. TtownMD

TtownMD Well-Known Member

3. Oli2012

Oli2012 Well-Known Member

I ended up getting the Capital, returning it and keeping the Bambino.

I love an automatic. It's like it has soul or something.

The Seiko 5s seem to come in around 12mm which is the same width as the Bambino.

Orient Bambino > Seiko SNKL41

Last edited: Jul 8, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  4. cs451

cs451 Member

I too really enjoy the automatic movement. I can't even look at a Quartz movement without getting disgusted by the staccato second hand

5. TheWraith

TheWraith Well-Known Member

I don't mind some quartz watches. Depends on the watch for me, really. But yes, I much prefer automatics generally speaking.

6. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

You might be thinking of the "Military" ones that are Bambino sized. The dressier ones are a modest 37mm across and 11mm deep. Both dimensions will impact a lot on how they slide under the sleeve. The mostly come on bracelets, but as they're so cheap, swapping in a strap if you prefer it is a reasonable proposition.

Anyway, if you like the Bambino, all the better: moving the button on your shirt cuff up just a fraction will also make life easier.

7. ShawnBC

ShawnBC Well-Known Member

I'm having my Master's degree admission interview this morning. I chose to be wearing my dressiest watch, which is a Tissot perpetual calendar. Although Quartz-powered, I feel it matches the image I'm trying to project to the interviewers. Hope all will go well!

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  8. TtownMD

All right what kind of watch would you gents recommend for around a 1000$ range. Your input would be appricated.

9. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

What kind of style are you looking for? There is a lot of freedom and quality in that budget, so tell us a bit more about how you want to wear it.

10. ShawnBC

1000$ gets you in a place where possibilities exponentially increase (but the quality:price ratio doesn't necessarily follow).

It would be a good idea to tell us a little bit about what you're looking for in a watch (dress, diver, sporty, chrono, military-inspired, etc.), what context would it be used in (conservative office, casual job, outdoor sport, going to the beach on the week-end, etc.), would you accept going pre-loved to widens the possibilities?

If I remember correctly, @mimo 's the king at this game. I don't know tho if he plays within this money range (sub-1000$).

11. Thrift Vader

Thrift Vader Well-Known Member

Talk to me.

12. TtownMD

Guys I am looking for some thing elegant that I can were for work or with suits and for formal occasion. I guess some thing that has a balance and mix for both places. I don't mind going up little in price if that would help with quality and price ratio. After reading & picking up info from you gents I honestly retuned the Burberry watch as one of you gents quoted. They make good rain coat but not watches. I do like chrono. Also I am newbie at the watch game. And all your input is appricated.

13. Thrift Vader

I can do some amazing Watches in that budget. How does a "Grand Seiko" sound?
    Or a "Ball" with a effing nice leather band?
    IWC?
    Plenty of choice.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2015
  14. SurakiCrim

SurakiCrim Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Im a big fan of Hamilton watches, so I might be bias. Or you can go buy a vintage Omega constellation watch for under 1k.

2 people like this.
  15. Neognosis

Neognosis Well-Known Member

If I had 1000 dollars for a watch today, I would buy the Hamilton Pan Europ.

I'm a huge fan of Seiko, Orient, and Hamilton. I don't think you can go wrong with any of those.

I'm wearing my Hamilton Khaki Scuba King right now, in fact.

16. Thrift Vader

Alright, Im going to throw my hat in. I deal in Sub $1k watches. and can go higher to order. anything he needs? i can do it. but i recommend a "King Seiko" . $450. + a gorgeous band. they are Legit watches. and you can save some money for other things

17. ShawnBC

[​IMG]

My Tissot perpetual calendar, post-interview. I have a sentimental bond to this watch (it was an engagement gift from my wife and the case back has a personal engraving) and even though it's Quartz, I love the look.

1 person likes this.
  18. TtownMD

Ok guys thank you for your input. Now were can I see them in real life if that's a possibility? I do appricate your guys I put.

19. TtownMD

That's a lovely watch, & how did your interview go?

20. TtownMD

That's a lovely watch, & how did your interview go?