1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Poor man's watch thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SirGrotius, Feb 4, 2011.

1. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

For $100, I'd go Orient "Bambino" for something smart, or a Seiko 5 Military for something more laid back. Easy to find either one under the price limit, plenty of colour and options, and it's a decent mechanical watch that looks and feels a lot more special than the price would suggest.

1 person likes this.
  2. Oli2012

Oli2012 Well-Known Member

I would also go the Bambino. Absolutely stunning watch for the money.

I'm not too fond of Seiko 5 dress watches - they're generally boring.

Seagull make some beautiful watches but their movement isn't great.

1 person likes this.
  3. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

I agree viz. the Bambino over the dress Seiko 5. But the Military is a really smart pilot for $80.

4. Akeem

Akeem Well-Known Member

recently got the bambino, and it's a lot of watch for $100. clean design. domed crystal. the strap is rather cheap looking, but that's easily fixed.

5. Oli2012

Oli2012 Well-Known Member

I'm with you on that one too. More of a casual watch though.

6. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

Yep, buy both I'd say: Bambino for work, S5M for play!

7. aglose

aglose Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the help! I'll start looking into the Bambino.

8. BostonHedonist

BostonHedonist Well-Known Member

9. troika

troika Well-Known Member

Hey Y'all, what's the difference between the Orient bambino and the symphony? Is it just the domed glass and slightly diff case & date design? Movements look identical, but it's a $40 difference

Bambino:
    [​IMG]

Symphony:
    [​IMG]

10. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Well-Known Member

redacted.

Last edited: May 8, 2015
  11. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Well-Known Member

@BostonHedonist , did you end up getting the Sumo or the Shogun?

12. BostonHedonist

The Shogun - (SBDC007): A sub-$1,000 automatic diver that feels like a $3,000+ diver.

Easy to size up with the right tools.
    [​IMG]

Reminiscent of the Sub, but with a definite and unique Seiko twist.
    [​IMG]

Lightweight titanium bracelet. Comes with a rubber strap.
    [​IMG]

A view from the back end.
    [​IMG]

Feels nice. Titanium is cooler to the touch than steel, and extremely lightweight. The watch is just a great size overall and the smooth sweep of the second hand says "yeah, I'm no cheap automatic."
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Overall, I get it. This may be the best sports watch under $1,000 that I've ever come in contact with. I'm not going to wax poetic about it like so many reviewers and say it's better than my Rolex or the "best watch ever." It's not. But for the money, I SERIOUSLY doubt you can do better in a diver. It is most certainly more comfortable than many higher-end Swiss watches, but not all or even a majority of them. The titanium bracelet is very well made, and so lightweight and cool to the touch. I mean really a lot of thought clearly went into the design of the entire piece. It's just so secure and comfortable. I was certainly impressed when a stray slash with a pusher left a mark on the Diashield-coated bracelet that rubbed off with a quick thumbing. This thing does NOT want to scratch. Matter of fact, I'm not sure I've seen scratch resistance like this before. But further "testing" is needed there. The bezel rotates gloriously.

What this watch excels at is not emulating luxury. This watch excels at the bang-per-buck principle. Comparing my brief experience to the numerous reviews out there, my initial conclusion is that unless you really need to get your luxe on (as I often do) your watch obsession can probably end here (if divers are your thing). I mean it just wears so easy, so substantially, and is so true to the genre without being too derivative or over the top in its design elements. It doesn't want to pick up scratches and if I know anything at all about Seiko, I can assume that the water resistance is at least 10% better than advertized and that the accuracy will be at least in the top 20% of its class.

Definitely satisfied so far.

7 people like this.
  13. westie187

westie187 Well-Known Member

Thanks for great review! Beautiful watch. Enjoy.

14. TheWraith

TheWraith Well-Known Member

Good on ya, Boston. That's a great piece!

15. kimmo

kimmo Well-Known Member

Really cool piece and review. Except you've re-kindled my Seiko-interest. Only thing in this watch I don't like are the round indexes. With batons, I'd probably already bought one.

16. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Well-Known Member

Great pictures and review. I bought a Sumo a few weeks ago as a weekend watch and have been blown away by the quality to price ratio. I'm a new Seiko convert and think I'll always have at least one Seiko diver in my rotation. Even though I bought it as a weekend watch, I like it so much that I've been wearing it much more than that. I'll try to snap a picture later today.

1 person likes this.
  17. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Well-Known Member

I have an orange Sumo (rubber strap) I bought as a weekend/pool watch a year or so ago, and I agree, the quality to price ratio is really great! A great value for a sub-$500 diver.

18. BostonHedonist

Thanks guys. I really think everyone who goes near water should have a Seiko diver. I bought this to upgrade my little orange Starfish and am glad I did. Only problem is, there's nothing left to pine for in a "beater" diver. Diashield really is something and as cool as Seiko's kinetic and solar tech is, you get a certain confidence from a plain old mechanical automatic. Though I was told at the NYC Seiko boutique that Diashield can come off in chlorine. The sales person wasn't the sharpest, so I don't know if I should believe it. But that's a serious problem for a watch you'd wear in a pool.

What you want is the limited edition SBDC027
    [​IMG]

It is also quite gorgeous. Check out how the bezel is set in.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 9, 2015
  19. JHT652

JHT652 Well-Known Member

Seiko Sea Urchin - SNZF15K1

[​IMG]

Orient Bambino

[​IMG]

I never get bored of looking at the domed crystal on the bambino.

Last edited: May 9, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  20. kimmo

kimmo Well-Known Member

Gee, thanks. As if my watch budget for this year wasn't already spent....