1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Poor man's watch thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SirGrotius, Feb 4, 2011.

1. ShawnBC

ShawnBC Well-Known Member

Don't tease like that! What mode number?

I'm personally lusting after an Alpinist (SARB017) and the new Bullhead chrono (SCEB009).

2. BostonHedonist

BostonHedonist Well-Known Member

That Alpinist is a rather handsome watch. I do like when Seiko does green.

A favorite of mine (though not a PMW) would be:
    [​IMG]

As for my incoming, you'll have to wait and see. I'll post pictures. A hint though: it's a diver. I only go for divers as beaters given my propensity for "aquatic douchebagery."

In the meanwhile, if anyone wants an SNE109 for a good price, I've got mine up on eBay.

3. Salad

Salad Well-Known Member

I have a gold a168 and I swear, people loved that thing.

I'm about to kop a SARB035, I think, with plans for a black croc deployment strap on it. SARBs are so much value for so little money.

1 person likes this.
  4. ShawnBC

ShawnBC Well-Known Member

Agreed about SARB's. I have a couple on my immediate (or near-future) wish list.

Last edited: May 4, 2015
  5. middlepP

middlepP Well-Known Member

I feel like I have gotten my shoe collection under control, so the next logical thing to turn my attention to is... my watch collection. I will be budget shopping, so this thread is perfect!

Can anyone offer any insight into the Rotary brand? I have been looking for a white-faced, dressier watch (that can still be worn casually). Came across this guy, reduced to under $100. If not this, other suggestions for a similar watch?

Thanks a bunch, fellas!

[​IMG]
    http://www.samuelsdiamonds.com/stainless-steel-brown-leather-stripe-gents-watch.html

6. troika

troika Well-Known Member

Different hands, but here's mine. Seems like Hamilton was quite the trendsetter five decades ago Have since put on a brown leather strap and gave it to my gf

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  7. troika

troika Well-Known Member

TWAT didn't like my little collection so I'm cross posting it here. No rollies, but they're all special to me...

Last edited: May 5, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  8. TheWraith

TheWraith Well-Known Member

Most of those are not poor man's watches. Please confine such posts to the TWAT thread (whether they get lots of thumbs up or not doesn't matter).

1 person likes this.
  9. troika

troika Well-Known Member

Is there a middle somewhere?

10. TheWraith

No.

TWAT is the place to discuss all watches, but you really need to be there and allow everyone to get to know you and get to know your story and the story of your watches before people will engage with you. They are, undoubtedly, some very fine pieces you've shown off here and there, but we know nothing about you or them. Engage with others, and then likewise will occur.

3 people like this.
  11. troika

troika Well-Known Member

Right on man, just saw some people talking about omegas so I thought I'd post mine [​IMG]

On another note, and I'm sure this topic comes up frequently, I'm looking for a sub or gmt type on a bracelet for around ~150. I've seen seiko, tiger, orient, and parnis mentioned. What are people's recommendations? Is it worth it to pay a little more for a Borrealis?

1 person likes this.
  12. TheWraith

^ I can highly recommend Borealis. One of the best bang for your buck dive watch companies out there. They just have a new watch available for pre-order, the Scorpionfish. A bargain for what you get IMO.

13. troika

troika Well-Known Member

Man that is super retro, and yeah a really great deal. Did you pre-order?

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  14. TheWraith

I'm thinking about it. I have the Sea Hawk already, but that Scorpionfish does look very enticing to a dive watch fan such as myself.

15. Oli2012

Oli2012 Well-Known Member

Agreed.

Not only does it clutter the thread, it's offensive to people who are legitimately broke to refer to an Omega etc as a "poor man's watch".

Seiko 007.

1 person likes this.
  16. TheWraith

Seikos are an excellent choice as well. Can't go wrong there.

17. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

Love my Monster. At a rather higher rate (c.$1k), I was very tempted by Stowa's ProDiver. Mainly because it doesn't look at all like a Sub. I know we all have different views on the lookalike/hommage principle, so each to his own. But I think a watch of good quality that is distinctive in look without being too garish, is a rare beast. Worth a look, I'd say.

Also, Archimede do a GMT - in bronze, which is interesting.

18. aglose

aglose Well-Known Member

So if I'm in the market for a cheap ($100ish) watch with classic styling, what would you find gentlemen suggest?

19. Jmm722

Jmm722 Well-Known Member

timex has some classic watches, like the weekender. Also, orient and seiko 5. I'd personally go with Seiko.

20. ErikW

ErikW Well-Known Member

Rodina. Big fan of mine.