1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Poor man's watch thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SirGrotius, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Ds13

Ds13 Well-Known Member

I'm just a poor man looking for a diver watch, automatic only. preferably a more discrete color, not super colorful. For example, I really like the orient mako in black.

So if anyone has anything that fits the bill, PM me.

Thanks guys!

2. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

Seiko "Monster" all day long. It's a proper diver (20ATM water resistance), built like a tank, great bracelet (with drilled lugs so easy to change in seconds for a strap if you feel like it), and the older models are around for under $200. They don't wind manually or have hacking seconds, but I think the stick markers are nicer than the later "shark teeth".

I got the orange one because...Orange Monster. But if you want to wear it all the time, take a look at the black one: it's a serious watch, reliable, accurate, and doesn't look like a Submariner clone. Here's one. There are plenty around; I had good service from this place but there are others of course.

There are cheaper, lighter divers from Seiko, or the Orient Mako might be worth a look. But my vote's the Monster.

2 people like this.
  3. TradThrifter

TradThrifter Well-Known Member

The Vampire Monster is my favorite monster watch. It is like the black monster but has fangs and red accents

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
  4. BostonHedonist

BostonHedonist Well-Known Member

Let's not forget the Seiko Starfish, if you want something a little more unique and a little less common.

[​IMG]

When I next upgrade my "beater diver," I'll probably go for the SBDC007 "Shogun." It's just barely in the realm of "poor man's watches," but I understand it is damn near indestructible and can take quite a beating without showing wear.

1 person likes this.
  5. velomatt

velomatt Well-Known Member

I like this. This thread has too many diver / burly looking watches for my liking. This kind of clean, simple design is more up my ally.

1 person likes this.
  6. ShawnBC

ShawnBC Well-Known Member

Just checking in on this thread. Although I appreciate the quality delivered in the TWAT, I feel like I'd be more at home on this one, seeing how I can actually afford timepieces that belong here!

I have some money gathered, but I'm still debating on my next watch. So far it's between something more dressy (I have a couple of SARB in mind, or even the SARX015), the SCEB009 on a nice perforated leather strap for something more 'sporty' or get yet another diver in the form of a Steinhart OVM or Squale 20 Atmos 'Root Beer'.

I'm kind of feeling some of the Hamilton Jazzmaster Maestro too, has a little Portugieser feel to it without actually being a clone.

So many watch, some little time and money (and wrist space). [​IMG]

7. Vincero

Vincero Well-Known Member

Hi Joe,

Thanks for reaching out! We already have several in route to SF members. Hopefully you'll see some photos and/or reviews within the next week. Will keep you in mind for next time though ;)

-Aaron

1 person likes this.
  8. Mead

Mead Well-Known Member

Monster looks solid

9. TheWraith

TheWraith Well-Known Member

How about the Borealis Sea Hawk?

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. justridiculous

justridiculous Well-Known Member

That's a good looking watch with a solid movement. I wish it was closer to the $200 range...

11. AntiHero84

AntiHero84 Well-Known Member

Boom.

http://www.tiger-concept.com/watch.html

[​IMG]

Granted, I have zero personal experience, but you can choose a Miyota movement for under $175. Once I have a little extra change (birthday time!), I'm seriously considering it.

1 person likes this.
  12. justridiculous

justridiculous Well-Known Member

Guys, thoughts on this watch?

[​IMG]

I'm thinking of the DG2813 movement for $109. Watchuseek says it's a pretty reliable movement, on par with the Miyota.

13. Journeyman

Journeyman Well-Known Member

^ Wow, that Tiger is a really blatant rip-off of the Tudor Heritage Black Bay, down to the bezel colour, the strap, the markers, the script on the dial and the snowflake hand.

I understand that there is a lot of "homage" in watch designs, especially with dive watches and submariner designs, but that's a bit too close for comfort for me...

http://www.tudorwatch.com/en/heritage-black-bay/#/the-strap/

14. BostonHedonist

But seriously, in the PMW category, how much uniqueness can one hope to find?

1 person likes this.
  15. Ds13

Ds13 Well-Known Member

I like that quite a bit! I had heard of it previously and was leaning towards a more "simple" face. I'm just starting my watch collection, so the more versatility, the better!

Thanks!

Big fan of this! thank you!

16. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Well-Known Member

I love monsters, but i think the dial scratches too easily.

17. Journeyman

Journeyman Well-Known Member

Well, you can find quite a bit of uniqueness, but most of it's ugly!

Seriously, though, I understand what you mean and, as I said in my previous post, it's not unreasonable to make a watch that pays homage to a classic, utilitarian design. After all, there's a reason that a lot of the classic diving watches from the 1950s, 60s and 70s looked very similar to each other - the designs made sense and were utilitarian and workmanlike.

However, I do think that the Tiger watch pictured above takes it a bit too far. Apart from the "T" for Tiger instead of the Tudor logo on the dial, the Tiger watch and the Tudor Heritage Black Bay are pretty much identical - same case shape, same bezel design, same bezel colour, same marker design, snowflake hands (which are very closely associated with Tudor), fabric strap and the style and content of the text on the bottom half of the dial.

Then again, that's just my opinion. It's an attractive watch design and the Tiger's a few thousand dollars less than the Tudor.

18. BostonHedonist

At the end of the day, almost all divers are Submariner derived. Sure they may have square or toothed indices or extra-wide hands, but they're not fooling anyone... That's why I support Seiko Starfish divers. They don't look like anything else.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2015
  19. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

It's also a reason I took the Orange Monster (rather than the black, but even that looks different).

Each to his own - some people like to have a cheaper hommage to beat around, and it's not the same as having a fake. But I do think there are cheaper watches (like the OM) that are worthy design pieces in their own right. For a diver, an Orange Monster or a blue Mako would seem like worthy and less derivative alternatives to a Sub-clone.

Here are three other watches, all under a grand US, all mechanical, of different styles, that I think emphasise the point: you can get real individuality and even real historical credibility, in a "PMW":

Stowa Baumuster B: if not the definitive "Flieger", then certainly one of them. Of five companies that made the originals - Wempe, Lange, Laco, IWC and Stowa - three still make a version. IWC is too expensive, Laco uses lesser movements. This stands proud with any of them, and is even a design invented by Stowa for the original piece. With a solid Swiss ETA movement, that is nicely decorated with a display back and sapphire both sides, too. About $800 as shown, at current exchange rates. I'm wearing one today. This is a remarkable watch for the money: great brushed case, wearable size, all that cred, and my personal favourite thing: that onion crown is a joy to wind (for fun that is, as it's an auto...)

[​IMG]

Archimede Outdoor "Protect": a sports watch in the original sense, that doesn't need to be an oversized diver or complicated chrono. German case makers Ickler own this brand, along with DeFakto and Limes, for different price points and styles. Archimede do sporty watches and some of the German standards - a nice variety of quality pilots, deck watches and divers. And this. The case is very retro 70s, a modern but understated size, and both the case and bracelet are in a special hardened brushed steel. It comes in black dial and PVD versions too, with rubber and leather strap options. But I just love how clean this is: tough, clearly readable, water resistant, great lume, and I could really live with one for about $700. Swiss auto movement, too. Oh, and talking before of crowns - nice details here.
    [​IMG]

Junghans Max Bill Automatic: another use of the venerable ETA movement, in a classic Bauhaus design. There are a few versions, but this one stands out to me as the most distinctive. It doesn't look like a cheap Nomos, it looks like a Junghans Max Bill. And it's about $800 again. I don't know what else to say about it, really, because the design will be one you either love or don't. But if you do, I can't see any better value out there, or anything with more integrity at this price point.

[​IMG]

Now, I can get a nice Seiko diver for $200, or a pilot or almost-dress watch, for under $100. I can get a nice manual Tissot for under $500. And I have, all of those things. They're great value. But staying in the realm of the PMW, I guess I'm trying to say that there is quite a lot out there to match different tastes and aspirations, without feeling you've bought a substitute for something else.

Gotta love the Germans, eh?

8 people like this.
  20. Mead

Mead Well-Known Member

Those are 3 interesting brands

1 person likes this.