1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Poor man's watch thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SirGrotius, Feb 4, 2011.

1. westie187

westie187 Well-Known Member

I feel the same way about the Maratac pilot. Beautiful watch, but thick like a hockey puck. But then, I'm on a thin watch kick right now.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  2. BespokeBrooklyn

BespokeBrooklyn Well-Known Member

I posted this in another thread as well, so I apologize if you're seeing this twice, but my the watch I've had for years recently broke, and my parents have offered to buy me a new one as a Christmas present. These are the two models I had in mind; one is an Orient and the other is a Tissot. Both are automatic. Does the gold-colored Orient look too dressy for a brown strap? Is the black leather strap of the Tissot too dressy to wear with jeans and brown boots? Is one substantially more versatile than the other? Any feedback would be much appreciated!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Foxhound

Foxhound Well-Known Member

CYBER14 nets you 40% off at NatoStrapCo.

4. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

Neither of them seems to make much sense; the fake gold on that particular Orient is nasty - though the plain steel ones are smart. Overall, I prefer the Tissot. But a thought: if you want something simple and clean for a dress watch, but that looks right with a T-shirt, then maybe try something on a bracelet? Perfectly acceptable for suit wear these days (I'd say not a dive watch with a fat bezel, etc., though people do), there are many to choose from, and anything on steel looks great with casual wear. On the bracelet, check out a Seiko 5, or my first pick would be a nice clean Tissot, either simple three hands like this, or maybe a chronograph if you can stretch the budget.

5. redboat

redboat Well-Known Member

Of these two, I would go for the Tissot. In general, the strap color on your watch should at least roughly match the color of your belt and shoes, so black straps and brown boots are not recommended. I think both these watches are a little dressy to go with jeans; for me, roman numerals are better suited to grandfather clocks. I find the Orient Bambino more attractive, and it is a very good value.

Orient Bambino ER24005W (domed mineral crystal) - currently about $129 on Amazon
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 30, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  6. redboat

Continuing the theme: the Orient Capital's looks are classic, in my opinion better than the Orient Bambino's. The Capital sports the same retro domed crystal as the Bambino, although it has a quartz movement. A true poor man's watch, I ordered one new yesterday for $79 (!).
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 30, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  7. SurakiCrim

SurakiCrim Well-Known Member

planning on buying a seagull 1963 when im in HK (from thomas FWIW), but just to keep my options open. Does anyone know any similar watches that I should keep my mind open to?
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

I'd go Bambino for a similar price, myself, but each to his own.

@SurakiCrim , I don't know what your budget is, but I think that watch is very cool: totally distinctive.

1 person likes this.
  9. TradThrifter

TradThrifter Well-Known Member

yes that is really cool. A manual-wind chronograph is almost impossible to find at such a great price. And I love that vintage styling.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2014
  10. joshmick

joshmick Well-Known Member

Am I going to be a lot more happy with a Hamilton over an Orient?

Obviously, the pricepoint on the orient is much better, but I just love the look of the hamiltons

11. Stebbin

Stebbin Well-Known Member

My date pusher on the Orient Ray just broke when installing a new crystal and it's a pain getting a replacement part in Sydney. I'd stick with a Hamilton or a Seiko. Better servicability and easier to get parts if you're out of warranty.

1 person likes this.
  12. TradThrifter

If you what you really want is the Hamilton, and it is within your budget, I'd suggest not settling for something else. You may spend a bit more money, but will be happier overall. What tends to end up happening is you buy the cheaper alternative, wear it for awhile and in the back of your mind you still yearn for the Hamilton. You end up buying both. lol
    That 2 o'clock pusher on the Ray/Mako is a deal breaker for me. There is also something else about the design that just doesn't vibe with me as well. Can't put my finger on it. Orient is pretty cool though, especially at the price-point.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  13. Stebbin

Stebbin Well-Known Member

1 person likes this.
  14. BespokeBrooklyn

Thoughts on this as a beater watch to wear with jeans and a waxed cotton jacket? It's about $55 at Macy's right now. I wasn't looking for a Timex necessarily but this one looked better to me than the cheaper Timexes and as good as the ones that J. Crew charges $100 for. What do you guys think?

[​IMG]

15. redboat

At that price point, I'd go for a Seiko 5, for example the Seiko 5 SNK803 (currently $50 on Amazon). It has a stainless steel case, is water resistant to 330 feet, and has a day/date indicator. I think it's better looking, too. The Timex is probably plastic.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  16. BespokeBrooklyn

17. caspersauer

caspersauer Member

In typical Styleforum style, I own a version of the Timex and the Seiko.

My Seiko is the green SNK805 (http://www.amazon.com/Seiko-SNK805-...ie=UTF8&qid=1417665999&sr=8-1&keywords=snk805)

My Timex is a no-date Easy Reader (http://www.amazon.com/Timex-T205019...=1417665936&sr=8-9&keywords=timex+easy+reader)

One nice thing about owning both is that the straps are interchangeable (18mm). I have a collection of nylon ribbon straps I swap out (mostly a deep green for the Seiko, a white with red stripe for the Timex).

The Timex is my beater -- I wear it to the construction site and never worry about banging it into things. The battery means it always has the correct time. The Seiko is the one I really love. I wear it everywhere else -- jeans, shorts, chinos, even with a casual sport coat. I make an effort to wear it every day to keep it wound.

Good luck with your decision.

1 person likes this.
  18. Medwed

Medwed Well-Known Member

Boston->NYC->Helsinki->St.-Petersburg->Budapest->A
    If you cannot afford to spend 1000s on a watch you should be looking into Vintage Swiss Watches. There are some real beauties in Chronograph style that sell for under 200USD .
    Do not buy new watches on Amazon, do not contribute to the World Wide garbage landfill.

I worked in Waltham once ,but that is not why I own them:) Great watches at great prices.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  19. redboat

A great alternative, but make sure the watch has been recently serviced to avoid mega-bills for repair/service. And keep in mind that older watches were smaller, typically 32-33 mm in diameter (not including the crown), than the current fashion. Modern watches tend to be around 38-40 mm.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2014
  20. TradThrifter

There are some fantastic deals to be had in vintage dress Omega, JLC etc for less than a grand, I suppose since small dress watches aren't the current trend. Pretty cool if you are actually into the style like I am.