1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Poor man's watch thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SirGrotius, Feb 4, 2011.

1. BostonHedonist

BostonHedonist Well-Known Member

Purchased. Thank God I decided finally. Thanks for weighing in

2. Hayward

Hayward Well-Known Member

Quote: something about Reactor watches

No.

About the Seiko SNEs/Starfishes: You might also look at the JDM titanium solar divers:

[​IMG]
    Around 40mm, available with black or blue dial, with or without bracelet, around $300. I dunno if the Ti is coated like the Shogun, if so an even better deal.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  3. DerangedGoose

DerangedGoose Well-Known Member

Thats a good deal. I forgot about those and would have recommended those as a watch more suitable for beach and casual wear. For a strictly beach beater that will be on a strap anyway, I guess the orange face will be cheaper and the weight difference negligible anyway.

4. BostonHedonist

Yeah that seems like a great option for $300, Thanks. Titanium would be nice. But my die is cast. I'll post my thoughts after the SNE109 arrives on monday.

5. BostonHedonist

repost deleted

Last edited: Jun 14, 2014
  6. BostonHedonist

7. mco543

mco543 Well-Known Member

What are the thoughts on the 21 jewel Miyota movement? I recently bought a watch on eBay that has that movement and I'm curious as to what I can expect.

Thanks

8. DerangedGoose

Miyota makes many movements, all of them just fine.

9. caspersauer

caspersauer Member

Thanks to everyone who helped me with my decision (by replying directly, and everyone who's ever contributed to this thread). I ended up getting myself a HMT Janata:

[​IMG][​IMG]

It fit most of my criteria, with the largest exception being the price -- $25 on eBay. I'll keep my eyes open for a nice vintage Longines (or a sale on Max Bills or a Nomos Orion 38). For now, it joins my modest watch collection:

[​IMG]

One for painting, one for daily wear, one for wearing with a sport coat.

My next decision: what leather strap to put this on. I'd like a traditional leather strap with a minimum of embellishments. I don't think I can justify the $150 Hodinkee, but it sure is nice:

[​IMG]
    Island Watch and Worn&Wound have Horween straps that look nice, but IW doesn't carry it in 18mm, and the W&W one has a huge black loop bugs me:

[​IMG]

If I can't find the right version of that, maybe a leather Nato?

[​IMG]

That doesn't feel very dressy though. Any other suggestions? Thanks again.

- jim

10. Dagon

Dagon Active Member

11. DerangedGoose

Good looking HMT. I have been looking for a dress watch on a black strap for some time. My vintage Longines was supposed to be that watch, but then I realized it looks perfect on a brown strap so now thats the brown strap dress watch...unfortunately the HMT is too small. Ive realized I cant really go below 36mm, and even then Im not sold on it. The longines at 38 is perfect. The search continues...

12. BostonHedonist

[​IMG]

Spent the day hopping between ocean and pool. My new impulse beater, a Seiko SNE109, has been great. It's got a fun, stylized bezel of brushed and mirrored stainless. It's easy to operate, screw-down crown and it's nice and cheap, so I can beat the everliving sh*t out of it with impunity. Wouldn't go that with my everyday watch:

[​IMG]
    The ratcheting bezel does turn rather easily, but not as much as many reviewers would have you believe. The date and day line up enough for a $150 watch (the $350 msrp is BS). The second hand ticks at 1 second intervals, which is boring. But the strap is just awful. It's too thin, shows injection molding lines from the manufacturing process, and is far too long. It wraps around my wrist and almost reaches back up to the case again. But that is easily replaced.

Full view:[​IMG]

13. Isolation

Isolation Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At <50 pounds this should fit the "poor" part of the bill.

14. submatrix

submatrix Well-Known Member

Sweet design, deets?

15. DerangedGoose

Keep in mind those "mushroom" brands as they are known often use shoddily assembled movements that have a very limited lifetime before requiring service. The movements themselves may be of passable or decent quality, but they are usually assembled quickly with little care for proper lubrication (some have none or are literally given a quick spritz all over the components), or are grey market stock that has been sitting for some time before being installed.

While I cant personally attest to them, manufacturer/assemblers like Akribos and Stuhrling probably have stronger QA departments, I might consider those instead.

16. Isolation

Yeah, I've read reviews on the brand on watchuseek and I believe they are slight different and hold up acceptable, and actually found out about it there. Still even if it doesn't last it looks sweet and different enough I don't mind too much.

The watch is "YH.W8752-03" and available on amazon if you're interested.

17. caspersauer

caspersauer Member

Thanks for the suggestion Dagon -- enjoy your new band and post a photo when you put it on your watch.

I like the idea of a Nomos strap, and that's a nicer "dress watch" strap than anything I came up with, but for now I'm going to hold out for something with less stitching.

- jim

18. Isolation

The Nomos straps look great actually.

19. easy_golfing

easy_golfing Well-Known Member

I have it, and can confirm it is a nice strap - varying lengths, great price, and good quality. :slayer:

20. submatrix

submatrix Well-Known Member

Damn, looks like Amazon won't ship their products to the US :( Several of their skeleton watches look really nice too. Anyone know of a brand available in the US that makes nice classy skeleton watches for...lets say...under $100-$150?