1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Poor man's watch thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SirGrotius, Feb 4, 2011.

1. DerangedGoose

DerangedGoose Well-Known Member

For Russian brands, check out Luch, Raketa, Slava, Poljot, Vostok, and Pobeda. There is also Zim, Molnija/Molnya and Chaika

You can also have a dial custom refinished for between $30-$150. It might be worth your time to find one of these vintage watches in rougher shape, and have the dial refinished to your liking.

I would recommend consulting the forum at www.watchuseek.com for more detailed directions. It is the preeminent watch forum.

Last edited: May 8, 2014
  2. Isolation

Isolation Well-Known Member

Thanks, good to know.

I had to check look it up, but it's SKP375P1. I really like the simplicity of it. I think it works well with my more casual monochromatic outfits.

3. Isolation

I don't usually like the more ornate/more casual watches but I thought fuck it and went for the SRP488K1.

[​IMG]

Also getting a SSA021J1 at discount.

[​IMG]

I am planning to change the strap to leather because the store only has this one quite a lot cheaper than the leather one. They only have a black leather strap model though. Do you guys think this would be good in brown as well? Not too sure.

Tempted to consider a midnight blue one from Equus too: http://www.equusleather.co.uk/watch...-watch-straps/bridle-leather-watch-strap.html but not too sure if that'd look a bit too casual/out of place.

Last edited: May 8, 2014
  4. Isolation

5. andermt

andermt Well-Known Member

Was looking for a more simple watch, mainly to stop me wearing an expensive watch for work everyday.

Spotted this Junkers Bauhaus in Duty Free at Cologne airport this week. Fits in this thread as it was only around £125.
    [​IMG]

6. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Well-Known Member

Very nice. I don't see many Junkers but they always catch my eye when I do.

7. mco543

mco543 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if I've ever posted this either here or in the thrift thread but here is my Invicta 14357 I picked up a few months ago. I know Invicta is about as well received around here as Dior Monsieur sometimes but I love it and for the price I paid for it NWT I've got zero complaints.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Grayland

Grayland Well-Known Member

I like the look of Junkers in general and that watch in particular. That is very nice.

9. DerangedGoose

The automatic prodivers are a good deal for the money, especially if you mod them (there are a lot of aftermarket parts) and take the time to file off the big INVICTA logo on the side and remove the cyclops.

I used to have a very nice Yachmaster homage they made. I sold it I realized that my money was better spent on companies that take the time to produce unique and interesting designs. There are so many good watches out there, in that same price range, why wear a sub clone?

10. JjasonL

JjasonL Well-Known Member

hey guys!
    thinking about getting a rolex submariner.. ref 116610
    im 29.. asked friends for advice and they said that im a bit young to sport a rolex atm..
    i currently own a cartier roadster and a chanel j12 white gmt.. looking to add to the collection and really like the rolex..
    also really like the calibre de cartier or tag carrera 1877[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Cant kill da Rooster

Cant kill da Rooster Well-Known Member

You might have better luck in the TWAT thread for finding alternatives. People don't really discuss these types of watches here.

http://www.styleforum.net/t/36253/the-watch-appreciation-thread/31950#post_7145713

I don't think age has anything to do with a Rolex if you want it and can afford it. I have looked at the 116610 and it is a stunning watch. Perhaps a bit flashy as well. If I were to suggest a cheaper alternative it would be difficult. Probably the Omega PO is the most comparable giving good value.

In regards to the tag 1887, it is a nice entry level watch but not similar to the sub in any way, so you might want to rethink that one.

Last edited: May 19, 2014
  12. TheWraith

TheWraith Well-Known Member

^^ Yep, those aren't poor man's watches. Take it to the other thread.

13. Rumpelstiltskin

Rumpelstiltskin Well-Known Member

I like older Omegas...well older watches in general. Don't have one...yet...

14. TheWraith

Omegas should be discussed in the TWAT thread, not here.

15. Hayward

Hayward Well-Known Member

I dunno. If it's vintage it probably qualifies by price.

So does anyone out there have a Halios Tropik SS?

16. TheWraith

It does qualify with price, but this thread is about more than just price.

17. TheWraith

Latest acquisition:

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  18. Rumpelstiltskin

Rumpelstiltskin Well-Known Member

What else is this thread about? I thought it is about those who cannot or will not spend a lot of money on watches yet still like to dress up their wrist

1 person likes this.
  19. DerangedGoose

I think vintage watches that qualify by price should absolutely go into this thread, because that is the purpose of this thread: to discuss the ENTIRE realm of horology that is within our budgets.

Also, the Submariner is an overrated watch and there is nothing that goes into its production that makes it remotely worth the exorbitant asking price. There are way better dive and tool watches out there. It was never meant to be a luxury watch and, in my opinion, has fallen from grace as a pointless overpriced tool that has lost its original purpose.

2 people like this.
  20. Cant kill da Rooster

Cant kill da Rooster Well-Known Member

Tell us what you really think.

1 person likes this.