1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Poor man's watch thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SirGrotius, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Ace_Face

Ace_Face Well-Known Member

Wearing my old school PMW today: my Swatch from junior high. Recently found it in a box in the basement. Replaced the battery and bam! it is 1985 all over again.

[​IMG]

2. DerangedGoose

DerangedGoose Well-Known Member

Any love for the Russians? They make some fantastic mechanical and automatic watches:

Vostok Amphibia 1967 reissue (Impossible to find nowadays, sadly)

[​IMG]

Komandirskie Type 86 (this dial and case combo is discontinued, managed to snag two!)

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. Ianiceman

Ianiceman Well-Known Member

Been looking at a very nice Poljot for a while but not sure if circa $700 qualifies as 'poor', and not sure if I could be bothered with a wind up.

4. MoreSer

MoreSer New Member

Sharing the same movement as the Sea-Gull quoted before, you also have the Perpetual C-05: http://www.perpetual-watch.com/chronograph.html

[​IMG]

Review: http://www.watchitallabout.com/perpetual-watch-chronograph-c-05-review/

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. razcan

razcan Member

Man I like that watch. About $400?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 3, 2014
  6. dallan

dallan Member

[​IMG]
    A nice skx007 groove...!

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
    2 people like this.
  7. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Well-Known Member

Anyone have experience with Seiko's Presage series in japan?

They have a very elegant model I am interested in:
    [​IMG]
    Presage sarx019, priced at around $800. Croc strap, Saphire crystal, automatic, porcelain face.

1 person likes this.
  8. DerangedGoose

DerangedGoose Well-Known Member

Not sure which one you are looking at (theres some ridiculous Gagarin/space editions, etc), and they do have some mechanical moonphases that add complications, but theres no way Id pay more than 400-500 for a 3133 based chrono. Theres just no reason to. The OKEAH (ocean) re-issues tend to hit around 600-800, and thats debatable whether they are worth it.

9. SixOhNine

SixOhNine Well-Known Member

I love the 3133 movement, and you'd be surprised how quickly you acclimate to winding it. My complaint is that it doesn't have a quick set date, so if you wear it irregularly, setting the date requires a lot of winding the time back and forth between 10 and 2 to cycle around to the correct date.

10. razcan

razcan Member

Anyone know where to find this model or something similar?

11. plot

plot Well-Known Member

I've actually tried finding that exact Skagen for quite a while now. Unfortunately it's discontinued, and the only people I've seen who possess it are either unable to be reached or have sold it off.

The only alternative I've found is the Stuhrling Ascot Agent (also comes in black), however it's fairly thick and doesn't look nearly as good as the Skagen.

[​IMG]

12. dan138zig

dan138zig Well-Known Member

which one for everyday beater?

[​IMG]
    $210

[​IMG]
    $150

[​IMG]
    $240

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  13. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Well-Known Member

I think I would pick the middle one. Though I like that the top one is the least bust of the three, it's just too asymmetrical for me. I like parts of the bottom one as well, but it has way too many things going on there - tachymeter, partial skeleton front, power reserve indicator, strange looking font on the "6" (not to mention only part of the "6" visible)... I do like the neon green color of the hands and some of the markers on the tachymeter and IMO, if it didn't have the skeleton front and power reserve indicator it would be a very sharp watch.

So, by process of elimination, that leaves the middle watch.

14. ErikW

ErikW Well-Known Member

I like #1 the best. The other two are too busy IMO.

1 person likes this.
  15. razcan

razcan Member

Do you think this site is reputable - http://www.airwatches.com/item_detail.php?item_id=5586 ? For some reason I feel like they don't have it in stock or it's a junk site.

16. gotitwenineed

gotitwenineed Well-Known Member

On Instagram i saw this post from @CesarRenuan, beautiful watch and an equally beautiful watch cuff

Rose Gold Hamilton Jazzmaster

Beautiful watch and runs about $600-$1,000

Just purchased one myself and am waiting for it to come in [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. dan138zig

dan138zig Well-Known Member

Thanks for the opinions. I tend toward the first one actually. The sun moon design is cute and the assymetry is part of its charm. And the sapphire crystal won't hurt.

18. Kaplan

Kaplan Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

19. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Well-Known Member

My thoughts exactly. :fu:

From time to time I see these "watch cuffs" (online only) and think that it might possibly be one of the most pretentious things I've ever seen/heard of. I've never actually seen anybody wearing one but, yes, I would probably judge them harshly if I did.

FWIW though, that Hamilton looks great. I love the pattern on the dial.

I hope the poster was buying the Jazzmaster and not the shirt.

20. Douglas

Douglas Well-Known Member

I like that Hamilton a great deal. It is near the top of the list of my current next watch list: An affordable rose gold plated watch to tide me over until I can afford a real rose gold grail watch. Though I think the chrono looks better.

The cuff is awful.

To the poster who asked for a choice between the three Orients: Honestly, I don't like any of them. These things are always a question of taste so YMMV but I find all three way too busy. I would default to the least busy of the three (i.e. the first) but I happen to think that's a pretty clumsy looking moonphase. I always think moonphase is a weird complication to begin with, though I can accept it when it is beautifully executed. That's definitively not the case on the watch pictured IMO.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014