1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Poor man's watch thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SirGrotius, Feb 4, 2011.

1. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Well-Known Member

Hi all, first post in this thread - I hope I'm not retreading well-worn ground. Looking for a suggestion or two for a versatile, classy, timelessly styled, and decent quality watch. Here are my parameters:

(1) between $500 and $1K
    (2) silver bezel
    (3) white dial
    (4) round
    (5) black leather strap
    (6) analog (duh)

Made and/or assembled in the USA would be a big plus.

The closest I've found to hitting all of these marks is the Shinola brand, but I'm worried they may be overpriced for what you get, and frankly I'm having trouble getting past the name. I've also come across Hamilton - their retro pieces are gorgeous and seem to be a good value, but I'm gathering they're not made in the USA anymore.

Any ideas anyone cares to share would be greatly appreciated - thanks in advance!

Last edited: Dec 31, 2013
  2. Thearkly

Thearkly Well-Known Member

Watch under $600. I want the best quality I can get. I have been looking at some rose gold watches but they all have rubber straps and the watches themselves are big and bold. I want something I can wear daily that would still work in more formal attire. I have been reading tons of articles on watches and budget watches, but I thought the multitudes here may have more experience and ideas. Now, the only place I have looked is Macy's tbh. So if you have suggestions were to search go ahead.
    Thanks!

3. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Well-Known Member

I was in the mood of taking some pics of something today and selected a few of my watches. I think I share them with you.

[​IMG]

Quote: [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. Grayland

Grayland Well-Known Member

Love the Hamilton. Very elegant.

1 person likes this.
  5. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Well-Known Member

I agree with Grayland. That is one of the nicest looking Hamiltons I've ever seen.

I just pulled the trigger on a secondhand Seiko Tuna. Now the waiting game until it arrives...

1 person likes this.
  6. Ace_Face

Ace_Face Well-Known Member

That Tissot is nice as well. Which model is it?

1 person likes this.
  7. JTA

JTA Well-Known Member

You can consider Seagull 1963. Think the watch (may) ticks all the parameters above except (1).. it's lower.. It is my daily beater watch (replaced the strap with leather strap) now.
    Trust me, this watch is a beauty and has garnered many compliments.

8. JTA

JTA Well-Known Member

Which Tissot model is this? Mind to elaborate few details please?

2 people like this.
  9. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Well-Known Member

10. Betelgeuse

Thanks guys! It a PRC 200 Automatic. I changed the strap though. Originally it is black but since I rarely wear black I bought some other straps to use it in various occasions.

11. Ace_Face

Ace_Face Well-Known Member

Looks like Tissot has a variety of PRC 200 models. I searched "tissot t014430" (on the back of your case) and was able to find it.

12. Betelgeuse

Glad to hear that the photo helped! :)

Caused I didn't knew the model, sorry. :(

13. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Well-Known Member

This watch is amazing and I must have it. What is the model name and where can I purchase it? edit: lol I'm an idiot nvm. found it.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2014
  14. redboat

redboat Well-Known Member

(Delete)

Last edited: Jan 1, 2014
  15. TheBurnOut

TheBurnOut Well-Known Member

This might be my favorite for daily wear. It was cheap ($279 direct from County Comm if memory serves me right)

I have it on a leather NATO strap from IW Suisse. The strap was advertised as shell but I really doubt it based on the micro creases that have developed. Still, def worth the $30 or $40 I paid for it.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  16. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Well-Known Member

Great looking watch. I've always liked those Maratacs but never really researched them much.

17. scaryWoody

scaryWoody New Member

I have the Maratac Mid sized. An excellent value. It has a Citizen Miyota (8245) 21 jewel movement and a sapphire crystal. I believe they were made for Maratac by Citizen. Similar watches would go for around $500 or more. I coupled mine with a thick brown strap from Crown and Buckle. They have a 15% discount code (watchuseek).

1 person likes this.
  18. TheBurnOut

Mine is the Mid Pilot II.

I tried the original 46mm version and it was too big for my wrist. Actually, it was probably OK, but most of my watches are in the sub 40mm range and making the jump was too much.

I like it because it was inexpensive, seems to be made fairly well, keeps reasonable time, is an automatic, and I don't worry about the occasional ding to the case or crystal.

I'd really like to try it on an engineer style bracelet but I haven't seen any pics of that combo and I'm not sure if I want to take the $80 gamble.

19. Cant kill da Rooster

Cant kill da Rooster Well-Known Member

Cool. I assume it's an auto? Similar to the Hamilton Khaki and based on British MOD watches in WWII.

[​IMG]

20. TheBurnOut

Yep it's an auto- they are powered by the Miyota 8245.

My only complaint is the noise of the rotor. I have a near-silent Wolf Designs triple watch winder and I can hear the rotor late at night when the watch is being wound.

Maybe that's just a testament to Wolf's products, IDK.