1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Polyester

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Artem, May 25, 2013.

Would you buy clothing made partially of polyester?

1. Yes

15 vote(s)
    41.7%
  2. No

21 vote(s)
    58.3%
  1. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Well-Known Member

Did you buy a training shirt for your own use, or a team's uniform shirt?

2. JLibourel

JLibourel Well-Known Member

I voted "no." However, I have a few items made from polyester blends: my Balliol College polo shirt (Had I known it was a poly blend, I woudn't have bought it.); many of my socks are cotton-synthetic blends, as are the cheap boxer undershorts I buy from Target; I think I have one Ralph Lauren sports shirt that's quite nice despite having a very small portion of polyester.

As a general matter, though, I shun fabrics made of or containing synthetics of any sort except for Bemberg linings in my good jackets.

3. rikod

rikod Well-Known Member

Me encanta este thread, narco-chic, esto hacia falta en SF,

Love this thread, narco-chic was missing here in SF, digging it. I did have some polyester stuff when I was younger, sanchito is right, uno se acostumbra.

4. Artem

Artem Well-Known Member

Are you like... a 1980s Texan sheriff?

5. Loudly

Loudly Well-Known Member

Polyester slacks - 65% Dacron/35% Rayon - were all the rage in days of yore:

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. irgendwas

irgendwas Well-Known Member

Outright misogyny was all the rage in the days of yore, as exemplified by that advertisement.

7. Loudly

Loudly Well-Known Member

That one's pretty shocking.

8. Roycru

Roycru Well-Known Member

Today, I am wearing a Brooks Brothers blue blazer that is 55% polyester-45% wool and a Brooks Brothers repp tie that is 65% silk-35% polyester. I bought both items at Brooks Brothers in the late '60's-early 70's. At that time, Brooks Brothers sold many things that were part polyester. Somehow, since that time, some people now imagine that there is something horrid about things that are part polyester. I have no idea how that idea got into their minds. Things that are part polyester seem to hold up better over the years and are far less attractive to moths than items made of 100% wool or 100% silk.

9. HughJ

HughJ Well-Known Member

Odor, heat, texture, sheen.....