1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Polo Shirts--Do not Like.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LabelKing, Aug 25, 2009.

1. TheWraith

TheWraith Well-Known Member

If you want to let a few idiots ruin wearing a perfectly good shirt, bully for you. I happen to think I'm made of sterner stuff, though.

2. Big Pun

Big Pun Well-Known Member

pic
    ^^With that post I'm inclined to believe that most people on MC are horrendeously out of touch with today's trends.

3. sii1981

sii1981 Well-Known Member

i like polos. you cant shoot down a perfectly good item of clothing because retards also wears them.

4. Albern

Albern Well-Known Member

Second star to the right and straight on 'til morn
    If you want to let a few idiots ruin wearing a perfectly good shirt, bully for you. I happen to think I'm made of sterner stuff, though.

For what it's worth, I'm not at all suggesting that polos are bad; I have a few that I wear around the house from time to time. At the very least I'm trying to provide some additional reasoning behind the polo hate and unfortunately for some, the word brings up negative connotations similar to the examples above.

^^With that post I'm inclined to believe that most people on MC are horrendeously out of touch with today's trends.

Well I won't generalize everyone on MC about that but I'll gladly admit to being out of touch with these kinds of trends. I'm researching it now in fact.

5. TheWraith

For what it's worth, I'm not at all suggesting that polos are bad; I have a few that I wear around the house from time to time. At the very least I'm trying to provide some additional reasoning behind the polo hate and unfortunately for some, the word brings up negative connotations similar to the examples above.

I understand what you're saying. My point is, if that's the only reason why some hate the polo shirt, then they're very weak people to let a few idiots affect them thus.

6. Albern

Albern Well-Known Member

Second star to the right and straight on 'til morn
    I understand what you're saying. My point is, if that's the only reason why some hate the polo shirt, then they're very weak people to let a few idiots affect them thus.

Yes I completely agree with you on that; a concept that can be readily applied elsewhere.

7. TheWraith

Definitely, I agree.

8. LabelKing

LabelKing Well-Known Member

Ah, it's like the LabelKing of old (or should that be young) when most of his posts were ridiculous attention-getting pronouncements. [​IMG]

FWIW, I think polos are a summer essential. When it's 90+ and 100% humidity and I have no meetings or social plans that require a shirt and jacket...

[​IMG]

I'm the new Diana Vreeland.

9. LabelKing

LabelKing Well-Known Member

The modern day polo is a failure of the imagination.

Worn with khaki-esque bottoms, it's amiably and admirably milquetoast.

10. oroy38

oroy38 Well-Known Member

I wear polos all the time in late spring, summer, and even into the early days of autumn when it's still above 75*. Tucked, un-tucked, it depends on what pants I'm wearing. Jeans or chinos? Probably untucked. A crisp set of khakis? Tucked. Dress trousers? Tucked. If you're fit or even just skinny and the shirt is close fitting, it'll look good. Don't let a few morons that wear it badly ruin it. My preference for polos is solid colors, but some people wear stripes well. There have been some really good pictures posted that prove that the polo is a great piece of casual wear, and casual wear is supposed to be relaxed and easy.

11. harburn

harburn Well-Known Member

Just got back from Rome. I could not believe the number of polo shirts that I saw. Everyone was wearing one. Yes, all with little crocs logos. Not a good look. I know it was humid. But, it still looked silly. Happy to live in SF. Too cold for polos.

12. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Well-Known Member

LK, I give to you:

A Polo Shirt.

[​IMG]

Never for business.

13. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Well-Known Member

Do you clean those logs every day?

They are immaculate.

- B

14. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Well-Known Member

Just got back from Rome. I could not believe the number of polo shirts that I saw. Everyone was wearing one. Yes, all with little crocs logos. Not a good look. I know it was humid. But, it still looked silly. Happy to live in SF. Too cold for polos.

There are some clothing advantages from being in the Bay Area.

15. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Well-Known Member

Do you clean those logs every day? They are immaculate. - B
    'snark'

16. Flambeur

Flambeur Well-Known Member

Do you clean those logs every day?

They are immaculate.

- B

I polish my log every day.... [​IMG]

17. crazyquik

crazyquik Well-Known Member

Wear a polo when everyone else is wearing a t-shirt.
    Wear a button down when everyone else is wearing a polo.
    It's not that hard.

1 person likes this.
  18. wilson brother

wilson brother Well-Known Member

This thread is like a man without any type of body hair and a life filled with empty tins of tuna fish [​IMG].

-Danny Wilson (the Guy)

19. oroy38

oroy38 Well-Known Member

Wear a polo when everyone else is wearing a t-shirt.
    Wear a button down when everyone else is wearing a polo.
    It's not that hard.

This.

/thread

20. wilson brother

wilson brother Well-Known Member

I'm the new Diana Vreeland.

Your the new somebody on the internet [​IMG] nobody on the street [​IMG] [​IMG].

-Danny Wilson (the Guy)