1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Polo Ralph Lauren outlet has poor quality?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by aspriel, Aug 21, 2006.

1. Joel_Cairo

Joel_Cairo Well-Known Member

I went to the Barney's New York outlet, and all I saw was Banrey's House Brand stuff. There was maybe two tables of designer over stock, and the rest was all Barney's suits and Barneys shoes (with the labels glued on all crooked). Irritataing in the extreme.

2. JBZ

JBZ Well-Known Member

I've always suspected that some of the stuff at the Polo outlet is made just for the outlet (given the number of outlets and the conformity amongst the usual merchandise found at each, it seems unlikely that they all stock retail store overruns). That said, I've had good luck with my purchases there (everything from shirts to trousers to underpants to socks). The quality may be inferior, but I've yet to have anything fall apart on me. It all seems to wear pretty well in my experience.

3. Joel_Cairo

Joel_Cairo Well-Known Member

BTW Old Navy is nothing more than cheap inferior Gap, etc...

And Gap is nothing more than cheap, inferior Banana Republic... which lays bare the fundemental problem with the Gap's business model. When there's an Old Navy next to a Gap next to a Banana Republic, those who can drop a bit of coin go to BR. Those looking to save go to Old Navy. Who goes to the Gap? Nobody, that's who.

4. chorse123

chorse123 Well-Known Member

I think what's happening with the Polo outlet is ebay sellers scooping up the best stuff. There are a number of people on ebay who have very good deals on polo merch, like this (somewhat ridiculous) blue label red corduroy hacking jacket

[​IMG]
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Ralph-Lauren-850...ayphotohosting

I'm SURE that was an outlet buy.

5. aspriel

aspriel Well-Known Member

JBZ and anyone else who's bought blue label from the Polo outlet:

Were the shirts/jeans/whatever (I'm going to be looking at polo shirts and maybe jeans) comparable to dept. store Polo product? In comfort/looks? Did they fall apart? Or are they only slightly inferior somehow that I won't notice?

I'm a college student - I've never worn RLPL and won't in the near future. I am, however, the kind of student who would rather pay retail price for 4 Polos than get 8 discounted Polos that do not fit as well or are less comfortable.

6. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Well-Known Member

What practice? Wanting to pay less for designer clothes?
    Is that a serious question? (No coffee yet this morning, so my irony detectors are not fully charged.) Presumably, he means the practice of creating lower-quality merchandise specifically to sell in "outlet" stores to people who think they're getting a good deal on one's "regular" merchandise.

7. JBZ

JBZ Well-Known Member

JBZ and anyone else who's bought blue label from the Polo outlet:

Were the shirts/jeans/whatever (I'm going to be looking at polo shirts and maybe jeans) comparable to dept. store Polo product? In comfort/looks? Did they fall apart? Or are they only slightly inferior somehow that I won't notice?

I'm a college student - I've never worn RLPL and won't in the near future. I am, however, the kind of student who would rather pay retail price for 4 Polos than get 8 discounted Polos that do not fit as well or are less comfortable.

I've noticed no inferiority in the products I've purchased. All of the polo style shirts I've bought have held up well. I've also purchased khakis, one pair of linen trousers, socks, and underwear, and have had no problems. I haven't purchased any jeans.

8. Edward Appleby

Edward Appleby Well-Known Member

And Gap is nothing more than cheap, inferior Banana Republic... which lays bare the fundemental problem with the Gap's business model. When there's an Old Navy next to a Gap next to a Banana Republic, those who can drop a bit of coin go to BR. Those looking to save go to Old Navy. Who goes to the Gap? Nobody, that's who.
    See, I disagree. For basics (i.e., chinos and oxfords for school, some sweaters, etc.) I find BR overpriced and overwrought in its styling. On the other hand, Old Navy tries so hard (and yet so ineffectively) to be "current" that it's impossible to find normal shit there, not to mention the construction quality.

Gap, on the other hand, fits comfortably in the middle. They always have basics that don't try to be something they're not (ala BR) and yet are of serviceable quality.

9. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member

I think what's happening with the Polo outlet is ebay sellers scooping up the best stuff. There are a number of people on ebay who have very good deals on polo merch, like this (somewhat ridiculous) blue label red corduroy hacking jacket...
    I'm SURE that was an outlet buy.

You're probably right - the Bicester outlet currently has vast quantities of these jackets in various colours (the dark green is quite nice actually but Polo jackets are generally an awful fit on me).

I think the UK outlet situation is different to the US one. Bicester has lots of rubbish (Polo Jeans Company and the like), but surprising amounts of good quality stuff mixed in too. Plenty of Blue Label, plus a good handful of Black Label and some Purple Label. They get this overstock and end of season stuff direct from the Bond Street branch according to staff there. They've just got some new RLPL suits in but currently they aren't being discounted too much (they're at £600 currently but I guarantee they'll fall in the coming months).

I picked up 3 RLPL shirts at outlet just a couple of days ago: two 140s, one 120s, nice colours/patterns too.

10. edmorel

edmorel Well-Known Member

See, I disagree. For basics (i.e., chinos and oxfords for school, some sweaters, etc.) I find BR overpriced and overwrought in its styling. On the other hand, Old Navy tries so hard (and yet so ineffectively) to be "current" that it's impossible to find normal shit there, not to mention the construction quality.

Gap, on the other hand, fits comfortably in the middle. They always have basics that don't try to be something they're not (ala BR) and yet are of serviceable quality.

Yes, I pretty much fet all my v neck undershirts, casual socks, shorts, belts and t shirts at the Gap. I also buy about 90% of my 8 year-old's clothing there. Their childrens clothing holds up very well, they have a great range of sizing, and they have wonderfully styled classics for kids. The Gap gets into trouble when it tries to be fashion forward. Their other problem is that they have trained their customer to await the sale that is seemingly always around the corner.

11. rssmsvc

rssmsvc Well-Known Member

12. esquire.

esquire. Well-Known Member

From what I remember, the prices at the outlets for Ralph Lauren polos weren't that much lower than the retail prices. I think they ended up being the exact same price as the retail stores when those retail stores had their Ralph Lauren merchendaise on sale. Even though I always knew that outlet stores specifically had merchendaise made for them, I always assumed that the Ralph Lauren outlet polos were the same quality as the ones you find in the mall since they were pretty much the same price. Although, I'm confused about that right now. Can anybody confirm whether or not they're the same or not? If they're the same, you might as well just wait for the sales at the mall since they're the same price and same quality but you won't have to drive out all the way to the outlets.

13. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Well-Known Member

From what I remember, the prices at the outlets for Ralph Lauren polos weren't that much lower than the retail prices. I think they ended up being the exact same price as the retail stores when those retail stores had their Ralph Lauren merchendaise on sale. Even though I always knew that outlet stores specifically had merchendaise made for them, I always assumed that the Ralph Lauren outlet polos were the same quality as the ones you find in the mall since they were pretty much the same price. Although, I'm confused about that right now. Can anybody confirm whether or not they're the same or not? If they're the same, you might as well just wait for the sales at the mall since they're the same price and same quality but you won't have to drive out all the way to the outlets.
    I would say that they're the same in my experience, certainly the labeling of polos that I've purchased from RL and from their outlet seem to be identical. Keep in mind that the outlets have sales towards the holiday season as well.

14. aspriel

I guess I'll have to see when I get there - I will be sure to try everything, even shirts, on. Thanks.

15. lancer348

lancer348 New Member

So has anyone found out whether the outlet polos are of lower quality?

16. VKK3450

VKK3450 Well-Known Member

If they are, there must be some visibile difference. Otherwise, what would stop you from picking up 5 at the outlet and then exchanging them for 5 at a normal retailer?

(Not that it is a practice that I would participate in or condone)

K

17. rallymonster

rallymonster Active Member

if a retailer makes a dedicated outlet-line of merchandise of discernably lesser quality than its main-line stuff and does not disclose the provenance of these goods to the buying public so presumably (for all intent and purposes) the buyer thinks these goods are from the retail stores, then wouldn't the buyer eventually conclude that all the merchandise from this retailer is junk and stay away from the retail stores altogether?

i can understand the practice of creating items esp. for the outlets because they need to be stocked one way or another, but why make these items poorly when a step-up in quality on par with the regular items can't cost too much more given the volume involved?

18. aspriel

I didn't notice a difference, for the record. I can't tell the difference between the 2 Polos I bought there and the other RL Polos I have.

19. JLibourel

JLibourel Well-Known Member

A lot of the stuff I have seen at the Polo outlets has been decent, serviceable apparel, but for the most part it aint what I've seen at their BH and South Coast stores, which is not to say it isn't fair value for the money--perhaps even moreso than at the "flagship" stores, which can be kinda pricey, in case you hadn't noticed.

I am reminded somewhat of Scott Omelianuk's little book "Esquire's Things a Man Should Know About Style" (the one with the funny pictures of the bulldog) that contained the dictum (paraphrased from memory):

"What you find at an outlet store is what other people wouldn't buy or what a marketing director thinks you would buy because you're the kind of person that shops at outlet stores."

There are only two outlet stores that I am fervently partial to: The Saks Off-5th near my office (where I have seen a number of ties I had previously contemplated at the South Coast Saks) and, of course, the A-E outlet at Cabazon. I know of no other place where you can get good quality shoes for less money than at Cabazon (and presumably the other A-E outlets). Were it not for these two establishments, I could happily never set foot in another outlet mall, although I guess very good bargains can be had at other outlet stores from time to time.

20. whodini

whodini Well-Known Member

I've purchased RL polos from both factory and outlet stores and if there's a difference, it'd probably be at the microscopic level. Fit, feel, construction, logos, etc. all appear identical.

While I'm sure a lot of stuff at the outlet was meant for the outlet to begin with, I've definitely found stuff that I'd seen at the factory store only for much less. I was tempted to pick up a blue/white striped summer jacket for $40 when I saw it online on RL's site going for 4x's as much.