1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Polo Purple Label Ties?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mrgoblueguy, Nov 19, 2004.

1. mrgoblueguy

mrgoblueguy Well-Known Member

I found some good deals on some Polo Purple Label ties and was wondering what anybody thinks of them. Are they of good quality and do they tie well? Thanks for any help you can give me....

2. imageWIS

imageWIS Well-Known Member

Well, it all depends when they were made, earlier RLPL ties were made by Turnbull & Asser, whose quality is fairly high in the world of tie making IMHO (I own a few examples). Now, I believe the ties are made in Italy, but are uncertain by which factory. Perhaps a few of our tie mavens can help?

Jon.

3. drljva

drljva Well-Known Member

I own a few -- mostly their "satin" ties in solid colors... Can't say I'm overly enamored with them, but they're not bad ties. If I like the pattern and they're on sale, I buy them. Otherwise, not my first choice.

JV

4. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Well-Known Member

In any case, there's quite bit of RLPL stuff, including ties, on sale right now on polo.com's "private sale," notably advertised to the public on their front page. I believe the ties are around $80... Blue label ties are like $70, so I guess that makes it a deal.

5. Carlo

Carlo Well-Known Member

Above average in construction on the purple label, average on the POLO label. I am particularly fond with some of the very rich, muted paisleys I saw at their Milan store this week.

Pricewise it depends on what you are willing to pay for regular tie - they are acetate backed and use a good quality wool lining.

I know where they buy silk and they buy good silk for the purple label.

Overall, my impression is that RL is really pushing hard to up their quality toward the level of purple label and away from the sublines, which had gotten embarassingly bad.

6. AlanC

AlanC Well-Known Member

I have an England made and an Italy made RLPL tie. Both are quite nice; I like the Italian one better despite my innate Anglophilia. Not a CF 7-fold, but one of my nicest ties. At $1 for each I'm not complaining.

7. xtreamskyr

xtreamskyr Member

The Purple Label ties are nice, but I prefer the black label.

8. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member

Try them on and knot them before buying.

RLPL in particular knots in quite a specific style; not sure why. I really like the shape/volume of the knot that's created (the tie in my avatar is RLPL for an example), but YMMV, so check you like it.

9. AlanC

AlanC Well-Known Member

I think I should start looking for 3 1/2 year old threads and make a brief comment on them.

10. dshin

dshin Well-Known Member

I found some good deals on some Polo Purple Label ties and was wondering what anybody thinks of them. Are they of good quality and do they tie well? Thanks for any help you can give me....

Hey I see that you are in Warren. I'm in Ann Arbor. Did you come across the ties in your area?

Thanks.

11. Maximus Mark

Maximus Mark Well-Known Member

I think I should start looking for 3 1/2 year old threads and make a brief comment on them.

Jeeze I didn't even notice that. Somebody's been gravedigging SF for shits and giggles.