1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Poll: Do you own a three-piece suit?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by MrDaniels, Oct 5, 2006.

1. retronotmetro

retronotmetro Well-Known Member

My last four WW Chan suits (2 Clayton 150s, 1 VBC 130s, one heavier Scabal wool/cashmere) have been made with vests. I find the vests to be of limited practical use in LA due to the weather--there is about a four month window where I wear them, and the rest of the year I find them to be uncomfortably warm.

2. eddievddr10

eddievddr10 Well-Known Member

i just bought a 3 piece from cloak, but my dream suit is a gray 1 button peak lapel with single vent, ticket pocket, and double breasted vest!

3. Jovan

Jovan Well-Known Member

Why do you feel that way, Jovan? I don't need any. Nor, do I like them.
    Because I get inquiries from people trying to be witty.

4. Ivan Kipling

Ivan Kipling Well-Known Member

Oh. I hadn't noticed.

5. clarinetplayer

clarinetplayer Well-Known Member

I own four 3 piece suits: 2 SB and 2 DB

I think if the vest is fitted correctly, it does not get too hot to wear. Especially if one lives in the northern Midwest! I prefer vests with lapels.

6. MrDaniels

MrDaniels Well-Known Member

I have never owned a three-piece with lapels on the vest, though I like the look and think I could pull it off. I was once at a meeting and the speaker from the other company was in a grey three-piece with lapels on the vest and damn if the guy didn't command and demand attention...it just made him seem that much more confident.

I am not sure that I would do the double-breasted vest though...and most likely not for business. Has anyone ever worn one for business? I don't think I have ever seen one being worn in the real world, except maybe as part of a morning suit ensemble.

7. retronotmetro

retronotmetro Well-Known Member

I think if the vest is fitted correctly, it does not get too hot to wear. Especially if one lives in the northern Midwest!

The average daytime high temperature in my city is over 70 degrees for nine months of the year, and during our three "winter" months we rarely get lows under 50. We have more days with temperatures over 80 than under 70. Regardless of fit, you don't need or want the extra layer unless you work in an ice factory or meat locker.

8. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member

I had the 2nd fitting for my 3 piece bespoke suit and it will look very elegant once finished completely I think. The waistcoat is actually proving the hardest bit to fine-tune. The jacket and trousers are both virtually perfect already and even at the baste-fitting needed only minor modifications. I guess my pattern is now tuned in very accurately for them whereas this is the first time I've ordered a waistcoat.

9. LARon

LARon Well-Known Member

I have two MTM vested suits, one a lightweight gray stripe RLPL and the other a charcoal beadstripe Oxxford single breasted with peak lapels. I love the look and feel of a vest and even have an odd linen BB with light blue box plaid that I occasionally wear with different suits. Both the Oxxford and the BB have lapels which really add panache to my look when I'm not wearing my jacket.

They add a perfect frame to the tie.

10. topbroker

topbroker Well-Known Member

I have one three-piece suit, and am on the lookout for more. I like double-breasted vested suits, double-breasted vests, lapelled vests, pretty much all the variations mentioned in the thread so far. And, although it may seem obvious to say, I like variations because then I can vary. The effect of a three-piece suit is different than a double-breasted two-piece suit is different than a dark single-breasted ventless suit is different than a light-colored trad summer suit is different than a sharp sportjacket and trouser combination. I enjoy all of the above, depending on my mood, the situation, and the impression I am trying to convey.

11. LARon

LARon Well-Known Member

I have one three-piece suit, and am on the lookout for more. I like double-breasted vested suits, double-breasted vests, lapelled vests, pretty much all the variations mentioned in the thread so far. And, although it may seem obvious to say, I like variations because then I can vary. The effect of a three-piece suit is different than a double-breasted two-piece suit is different than a dark single-breasted ventless suit is different than a light-colored trad summer suit is different than a sharp sportjacket and trouser combination. I enjoy all of the above, depending on my mood, the situation, and the impression I am trying to convey.

Well said; a man after my own style.

12. chobochobo

chobochobo Well-Known Member

I have one three-piece suit (sounds like three piece suite, which is something else altogether) but don't wear it because it's a bit of a 'fashion' item: Calvin Klein, bought ages ago, deconstructed shoulder, baggy pants, in a textured sort of olive colour. I'm never sure when to wear it, but I guess now that I wear suits to work more often, I'll work it in...

13. clarinetplayer

clarinetplayer Well-Known Member

I like your use of the word "variations". A DB vested suit, in my opinion, adds an element of the unexpected. A vest gives one more options.

14. SuitGuy24

SuitGuy24 Well-Known Member

I have two MTM vested suits, one a lightweight gray stripe RLPL and the other a charcoal beadstripe Oxxford single breasted with peak lapels. I love the look and feel of a vest and even have an odd linen BB with light blue box plaid that I occasionally wear with different suits. Both the Oxxford and the BB have lapels which really add panache to my look when I'm not wearing my jacket.

They add a perfect frame to the tie.

Do you think lapelled vests are too much for a 24 year-old?

15. mensimageconsultant

mensimageconsultant Well-Known Member

16. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Well-Known Member

I don't have one but they can look terrific if worn properly.

17. SuitGuy24

SuitGuy24 Well-Known Member

What's the occasion?

A wedding this winter. I guess it would be OK for me to wear for that kind of occasion, but I think it would cause me undue attention at work like I was trying too hard.

18. whoopee

whoopee Well-Known Member

In many places, just wearing a vest is enough to get you noticed, since it is so rarely seen these days. You might as well wear a lapelled vest, if you like it.

19. Concordia

Concordia Well-Known Member

First 3-piece in a long time is en route as we speak (apart from evening dress). DB, 11oz birdseye cloth. We'll see if it is a blessing or a curse. On the upside, it will conceal braces. On the downside, I run warm, and the waistcoat is not even visible when the jacket is buttoned.

20. williamson

williamson Well-Known Member

If it's too warm for a three-piece suit out-of-doors, too bad. If it's too warm indoors, the heating is too high. The jacket and wasitcoat should be wearable indoors. Over-heated interiors are undesirable on energy-conservation grounds, and have undesirable sartorial side-effects as well.