1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

polishing shoes with contrast stitching

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gza, Jun 7, 2006.

1. gza

gza Well-Known Member

So I won and received the following shoes:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWN%3AIT&rd=1

Are there any special concerns in polishing shoes with contrast stitching such as these? Is it correct that a colored polish will color the stitching as well as the leather?

2. skalogre

skalogre Well-Known Member

So I won and received the following shoes:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWN%3AIT&rd=1

Are there any special concerns in polishing shoes with contrast stitching such as these? Is it correct that a colored polish will color the stitching as well as the leather?

Frankly I don't know how to avoid it but yes, wax will discolour the stitching.

3. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Well-Known Member

Try using neutral shoe cream most of the time. That will keep the leather supple and won't discolor the laces. If you need colored polish to cover scuffs, just be very careful.

4. j

j Well-Known Member

The tan polish you will want to use with those won't affect the stitching very much. If it does get on there and looks like it is going to change the color significantly, you can quickly go over it with rubbing alcohol, vodka or neutral polish to remove it.

5. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member

I'm also in the "neutral to remove it" camp. Use the right colour polish (tan in this case) and then use neutral to take off any polish that's bled onto the stiching if you're feeling obsessive. I sometimes bother, sometimes not depending on mood. I don't think a little discolouring on contrast stitching ruins the look.