1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Point and Shoot

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by mrjester, Jul 16, 2013.

1. mrjester

mrjester Well-Known Member

I think I found what I'll be going for. Thanks, man! I'll stick with the default lens for a little while but sooner or later, after some proper research, I'll find other ones.

2. otc

otc Well-Known Member

The micro 4/3 stuff is nice, but honestly a canon G-series (or some of the other larger cameras like the lumix posted in this thread) has a pretty nice lens. Even the S95 has a pretty decent lens (and the same sensor as the G-series cameras). The lenses may not be interchangeable, but they cover a decent zoom range and look good. How many people buy a starter DSLR like a Rebel and just use the kit lens? The kit lens sucks, but decent pieces of glass cost more used than all of the other cameras being talked about in this thread.

I have an old DSLR and a few lenses, and I just rarely bother to use them. Every once and a while I will think about shelling out for a new body (mine takes great photos, but the autofocus and low-light performance are pretty bad) or a new lens or two...and I just can't justify it. The S95 takes such nice pictures and is so easy to carry.
    About the only thing I regularly use the DSLR for are studio-type shots. I'll put it on a tripod, set up some lights and a backdrop, and shoot some ebay photos or something.

The only thing that strengthens the DSLR for me, is that cell phone cameras have gotten pretty good. Thus you could opt to forgo the P&S. You'll always have the phone with you as a nice pocket sized camera, and when you want something better, you can step up to the DSLR for those times where you don't have to worry about carrying a bag (since no pocket can hold a DSLR).

3. mrjester

For inquiring minds..

A friend of mine (local) pointed out a vendor he does a lot of work with on eBay and, against Clags better judgement, I got a camera off of eBay.

New in box, Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3X. $295 shipped. Talked him down.

1 person likes this.
  4. Claghorn

Claghorn Well-Known Member

New off eBay isn't a problem. It was used off eBay that I cautioned against.

And seems like an excellence choice in camera. What lens did you get? And now you need to start looking for a good 35mm lens ^_^

Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
  5. mrjester

Here's the part you won't believe.

It's the X lens. The lens that costs like $300 (14-42 still). With the camera. New in box. For $295. I asked why it was such a good deal. He said it was a gift and he didn't want it, he only likes DSLRs. I sent him pictures of the X lens and asked him to verify. He said it's the X lens for sure.

NIB Brown Body, GF3X. Body, lens, all of it. NIB.

[​IMG]

Here's the stats on it; http://panasonic.net/avc/lumix/systemcamera/gms/lens/g_x_vario_14_42.html

Did I make a good choice? (If it is in fact a NIB camera?)

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  6. Claghorn

Claghorn Well-Known Member

If it's everything it's supposed to be, yes. You'll still want to eventually look into other lenses (though I know little to nothing about M4/3 lenses and only a little more about those for dslr's)

7. mrjester

We'll see Friday.

Yeah I'll look in to other lenses in a while. But, first... unstructured cotton/linen sport coats for the long AZ summer. Prices are a-droppin'.

8. mrjester

I also read some people don't like the digital X lens, the mechanical adjustments on it. Not that they hurt the image - they don't. Just hard to find the zoom on the first go. But, really, I hate reading that on the interviews. "It's hard to find the button on the first go, not quite a fan of that." Someone that will have the camera for 2-3 years will probably remember where the button is. No need to scar the review for it.

I need some rubber grip tape for it. Every review has posted it's slippery. I'll get something for it and make a grip on my own.

9. mrjester

10. otc

otc Well-Known Member

Dude, they sent you a backwards camera.

You totally got ripped off.

11. mrjester

12. mrjester

[​IMG]

In other news, I have no idea how to take pictures. The same swatches on the two left, and same on the two right. They look completely different next to different shoes. The ones next to the blue suede are more accurate. But shit, you wouldn't be able to tell.

13. Aneil4lom

Aneil4lom Well-Known Member

I bought a used A330 from the Sony Store that works just as fine as a brand new one.

14. deadly7

deadly7 Well-Known Member

I'd be interested in your feedback on that camera [or others]-- also in the market for a new higher-end P&S. Was originally looking at the Sony RX100 but I am most likely going to opt out for huge financial reasons.

Also, you had mentioned wanting to use a wireless remote with the camera. Any such luck?

Last edited: Aug 30, 2013