1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Pockets on a dinner suit...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by hopkins_student, Feb 15, 2005.

1. hopkins_student

hopkins_student Well-Known Member

Probably need a sartorial legislator to comment on this one.

2. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

Yes. Yes, yes, yes. And the piping should be in the same material (grosgrain or satin) that faces the lapels.

3. Concordia

Concordia Well-Known Member

After having a few DJs with flapped pockets (youthful ignorance), I did get a SB barathea jacket made with the sort of trim that one normally uses on breast pockets.  I can't say that I regret the experiment, but it is definitely non-standard and my next one will be more conventional in this respect.

Grosgrain piping on side pockets is a new one to me, however.  I've never had anything done except in the same material as the jacket-- and I can't recall a tailor ever offering grosgrain as an option.   Seems to defeat the purpose of making the pockets look as sleek and unobtrusive as possible.

4. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

I don't understand. Breast pockets are usually just welt pockets made from self-cloth.

5. Concordia

Yeah, that. Couldn't place the term so early in the day.

6. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

Someone made you a coat with welt pockets for the outside front hip pockets?.?

7. Concordia

Yup. Doesn't look too bad, either. Which is not to say that I'll be pushing it on my acolytes.

8. imageWIS

imageWIS Well-Known Member

Ditton. [​IMG] WTF? That's a new to me. Jon.