1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Pocket squares - where do you guys *really* get them?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by enarchay, Oct 30, 2010.

1. enarchay

enarchay Well-Known Member

If you want super cheap try Men's Wearhouse. They have plain silk for $7 and printed design silk for $10. Online selection seems to be better. Order on a Friday for free 2 day express shipping.

Well, I'm really trying to find some interesting colors and patterns, so the solid silk ones don't really do it for me.

2. RogerC

RogerC Well-Known Member

I got a number of mine at Simonnot Godard in Brussels. Really amazing stuff, especially for the price.

3. kylelovesyou

kylelovesyou Well-Known Member

4. Bradford

Bradford Well-Known Member

If you're in a part of the country with Dillard's stores, they usually have solid-color pocket squares for around $15.

I've also bought them on EBay.

5. teddieriley

teddieriley Well-Known Member

6. BLU8

BLU8 Well-Known Member

Lucky for me, my sister works at Moores (the Canadian equivalent of Men's Wearhouse), so I can get solid colour silk pocket squares for 50% off (about $4).

7. edlarnold

edlarnold Active Member

I use a sock.

That is one fine smellin' square sir.

I seem to always find one or two in the ladies scarf bin at thrift stores...I am a cheap bastard.

8. teddieriley

teddieriley Well-Known Member

That is one fine smellin' square sir.

Heard of laundry and laundry detergent? [​IMG]

9. Threadbearer

Threadbearer Well-Known Member

Outside the Beltway but still in the Danger Zone
    Build slowly.

I get mine from Kent Wang or from the buy and sell section of this site.

This. It is very easy to get carried away and buy way more pocket squares that you actually wear. I speak from experience.

10. JLibourel

JLibourel Well-Known Member

In recent years, most of the squares I bought came from the Saks Off-5th in the Block at Orange.

I would second MW as a source for solid colored squares. They are the only things I have ever purchased at a Men's Wearhouse.

11. mtf

mtf Well-Known Member

I've got a few from Kent Wang but another 50 or so that I've accumulated off of eBay over the years. Every year or two I'll run across some who is selling a dozen silk ladies hankerchiefs for $10 total that are really their grandfather's vintage pocket squares. The rest I've picked up for $5-10 including shipping.

If you're willing to devote some time to it make sure you also search for: hankerchief, scarf, hankie and "silk square". You'll develop a pretty long exclusion list on your search in short order.

12. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus

^ dont forget "pochette"

13. Ianiceman

Ianiceman Well-Known Member

Just swung by MW - not a big selection but picked up three solids for 6.99 each.

14. AJR Journal

AJR Journal Well-Known Member

I visited Men's Warehouse, Joseph A Banks, and local department stores.
    They often have a carousel with pocket squares hanging off them.
    Look at those and take every available color.
    Don't get small squares, the best squares are about 13" or 30 cms or so on each side.
    Smaller squares will fall down in your pocket and need constant re-positioning.
    After you have built your basic color collection and worn them, you can start to collect more expensive squares.

15. calvinloke

calvinloke Well-Known Member

Jack some rags from your tailor then get a seamstress to roll them, either by hand or machine. Occasionally, you'll come across good silk.

16. Srynerson

Srynerson Well-Known Member

I know there probably have been a few threads like this already, but this one is a bit more specific. The creative use of pocket squares in the WAYW threads can really dazzle me, but with such a variety, I often wonder: Where are you guys getting these things? I simply cannot afford to buy a variety of pocket squares from the typically recommended sites, so what options do I have? How did you guys start your collection?

Thanks.

There are a number of good suggestions above. I'll just add that you can also look for silk scarves or oddly patterned shirts at thrift stores and cut them to your preferred size.

17. Threadbearer

Threadbearer Well-Known Member

Outside the Beltway but still in the Danger Zone
    Wow! The OP says he's new to pocket squares and asks where to get them, and nearly half a dozen guys suggest that he start making his own. That's priceless. If I said I was new to driving and asked where to shop for cars, I wonder how many SFers would recommend that I build one.

Take it down a notch, boys.

enarchay, go to kentwang.com and grab a plain white linen square. Wear it from time to time and see if you like it. If you do, take a look at your shirts and jackets, figure out a few colors that would coordinate well with them, and buy a few more squares in those colors from Kent. Don't get carried away. Incidentally, Kent doesn't charge postage, so his squares are a steal.

Unless your wardrobe is full of unusual colors, you probably can't go wrong with these:

https://www.kentwang.com/white.html
    https://www.kentwang.com/pocket-squa...dot-white.html
    https://www.kentwang.com/pocket-squa...gham-pink.html
    https://www.kentwang.com/pocket-squa...-burgundy.html
    https://www.kentwang.com/red-pindot-gold.html

18. Blofeld1

Blofeld1 Member

Whereever I can find one, wheather it's a small boutique somewhere, online or at department stores.

19. gorgekko

gorgekko Well-Known Member

Kent Wang for me...I have ordered some from another SF member (gshen) and eagerly await them. Just keeping it in the family.

20. acecow

acecow Well-Known Member

Those of you that do it yourself, where do you find the fabric?