1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Pocket Squares: A Discussion Thread, Questions, Opinions, Suggestions.....

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by GusW, Mar 1, 2011.

1. GusW

GusW Well-Known Member

So many choices......

[​IMG]

What are your favorite stores or e-commerce sites for pocket squares? Feel free to add them to this thread.

In addition to the ones listed above, every time I am in NYC I feel a strong, almost magnetic pull into Paul Stuart. They have always had a nice range of colors and materials. http://www.paulstuart.com/category_t...headermenuid=1

2. thebunk

thebunk Well-Known Member

Thanks PSG, just purchased a square from Kent. Will probably be buying more as well.

3. TheWraith

TheWraith Well-Known Member

What a great thread this is. This is how a pocket square discussion thread should be.

4. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Well-Known Member

If you're going to hand out your hankercheifs to women who are in need of them than I suggest they should be both extremely luxurious and embroidered with your monogram.

Use sparingly.

5. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

hello all im new to this ps thing and i think its time to give it a try and would like some advise on the following

here is the suit (ignore the tie in this pic)

[​IMG]

here is the tie

[​IMG]

which of any of the following ps would look alright

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

thanks in advance ill take any help i can get, if all the ps i posted are wrong please feel free to lead me in the right direction

6. Requiem

Requiem Well-Known Member

^^^

2 & 4 have a pattern too similar to the tie,
    3 is too similar in colour,
    1 is the most interesting combination, IMO (especially in a TV fold, showing the little squares and nice trim).

7. Parker

Parker Well-Known Member

I prefer the square to be an accent that just alludes to the other stuff going on, but is kind of its own thing. It should have a scale change from any other pattern. Also, I think the amorphous poof or the loose foldover looks better than the stiff TV. I like a little movement. A bit of drama, too. A few examples of nice pocketsquare action: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Well-Known Member

^ Is that Mariano in the last one?

9. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Well-Known Member

10. Parker

Parker Well-Known Member

Yep. those multi-colored squares are pretty versatile for coordinating with lots of different clothes.

11. Parker

Parker Well-Known Member

^ Those are good, except I cannot endorse the poof+points thing.

Yeah, that seems like an expert only move. [​IMG]

12. Douglas

Douglas Well-Known Member

I really hate most folds. I usually just do either a simple puff or a neat corners-out fold anymore. Points up is a little too out there for me, and I usually find they look all limp after a bit anyways. As for those fancy mountain folds and such... they're just not for me.

I rarely wear a tie anymore, and I am a huge fan of just a square with a jacket and open-necked shirt for a casual but refined, elegant look.

I have recently discovered just what a huge difference a high-quality hand roll looks in acing the look.

13. voxsartoria

14. Parker

Parker Well-Known Member

^ +1. Nothing too origami for me.

15. voxsartoria

16. Douglas

Douglas Well-Known Member

Tell us more.

- B

Just bought my first couple of Drake's squares (thank you to The Armoury) and I'm just loving how these look. see photo for what i've got on right now.
    [​IMG]

17. comrade

comrade Well-Known Member

It is quite common in Italy to wear your sport coat and scarf. And, Italian men aren't shy about wearing bold colors and patterns. Here is a recent pic of Salvatore (the well known Naples tailor specializing in pants) on his visit to San Francisco with his jacket and scarf.

[​IMG]

Diego's photo was taken at the opening of his Fay store in Milan. He is wearing a Fay scarf.

In the Bay Area were we have mild winter weather, I often wear a scarf with a SC. A coat would be too warm. However, my choice of scarves is far more subtle than my Italian friends.

In addition, the tradition of wearing a scarf and a jacket go way back here in the USA. It was certainly popular with ivy league and prep school types to wear a solid or striped scarf and a well worn tweed or corduroy jacket to football games and rugby matches in the 60's and 70's. Here is a more recent ivy league look showing a suit with a scarf

[​IMG]

As an Ivy Leaguer from the 60s, I can say that the only scarves that were evident at football games,
    and the like, were those displaying the school colors. Wearing a scarf with a sport coat on campus
    in general was considered fey and the subject of opprobrium by the "regular guys"

18. TheWraith

TheWraith Well-Known Member

Just bought my first couple of Drake's squares (thank you to The Armoury) and I'm just loving how these look. see photo for what i've got on right now.

Looks great. Thanks for sharing, Doug.

19. Gibonius

Gibonius Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I love that square, great colors against the blue jacket. Where's it from?

20. GusW

GusW Well-Known Member

I especially like Luciano Barbera's relaxed, seemingly effortless fold. It is also a nice accent color and pattern to his jacket.

[​IMG]
    [/IMG]