• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pocket square with Jeans + Shirt + Blazer?

BostonRussell

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sonick
Yeah, when I say "fancy", I mean fancy for your typical college student, not "fancy" for the typical SF-er. Should've made that distinction
lol8[1].gif

I'm a college student as well. I'd reccomend trousers as well. I've had alot of fun lately not wearing jeans. I love my APCs but it's kind of arbitrary that any wool/cotton/flannel pant be labeled as "dressy." Especially since you can dress them down with shoes when the occasion allows.

That said I'm ranting. You asked about pocket squares and I guess I'll echo...myself...

Yes!

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't understand what the big deal is. If you're going to wear a blazer and jeans, why would adding a pocket square be a problem?

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
I don't understand what the big deal is. If you're going to wear a blazer and jeans, why would adding a pocket square be a problem?
I am not well versed in the world of MC, and so not sure whether or not a pocket square is really a 'big deal' or not as I do not wear one daily, nor have I ever worn one in my life. It's like asking somebody "If you're going to wear a suit, why would a black suit be a problem?" since to the unwashed masses, a black suit isn't a big deal.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Just shove your pocket square in, origami-ing it makes you look like a poof. Pocket square foreplay is for pansies.

mishon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am not well versed in the world of MC, and so not sure whether or not a pocket square is really a 'big deal' or not as I do not wear one daily, nor have I ever worn one in my life.
Please don't take it as an insult, but what have you been reading / posting about as a SF member for over 5 years?

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mishon
Please don't take it as an insult, but what have you been reading / posting about as a SF member for over 5 years?

Dumb threads, what else!

Honestly, most clothing-related reading I do on SF is in Streetwear and Denim.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I am not well versed in the world of MC, and so not sure whether or not a pocket square is really a 'big deal' or not as I do not wear one daily, nor have I ever worn one in my life. It's like asking somebody "If you're going to wear a suit, why would a black suit be a problem?" since to the unwashed masses, a black suit isn't a big deal.

What I'm trying to say is that you're overthinking it. The attire expectations for the event are very loose to begin with; you could get away with nearly anything. There's no 'correct' answer because you've already broken the 'rules' by wearing jeans. The only issue is what you're comfortable with.

For what it's worth, I'd wear a square regardless of the kind of pants I have on. But that's me.

Originally Posted by Fuuma
Just shove your pocket square in, origami-ing it makes you look like a poof. Pocket square foreplay is for pansies.

+1000

I hate the corners popping out like tentacles.

mishon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I gotcha. I think you will look quite dapper in your KWM 2010's or 45rpms with a crisp white or light blue shirt, a blue blazer and a white ps.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you think a pocket-square would complement the outfit (which I would agree with) then wear one; the only time it's wrong to wear a pocket-square is if you don't feel comfortable doing so...

smoothie

Reaction score
Go with the tv fold. If you wearing a navy blazer, i say rock some khakis.

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma

Why do you hate PandArts?
devil.gif

$unny

Reaction score
"day time chic" is often an excuse to wear sportcoats with jeans... especially around college environments.

look into who sent that memo -if they are under 25: sportcoat and jeans is ok, over 40: bring ur bow tie just in case.

Spirit of 69

Reaction score
ablazer-2.jpg

It's generally a good luck,very British in fact, the shoes are perfect. Quite close to a look I wear myself on occasion. The only difference being I wear a tailored mid-blue Harris tweed with darker blue jeans, brown brogues and white or pale blue OCBD, and a wine red handkerchief.

Three improvements on it though:
1. wear a slightly lighter denim, as someone said, you don't want ink (what you call navy-black) jeans clashing with the navy blazer
2. change to an OCBD not a poly-cotton non-BD
3. a strong contrast colour (maroon or brown - plain or patterned) on the handkerchief

And your good to go, daytime casual-chic
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads